VRS MK4 Road Noise

I’ve recently bought an Octavia VRS 2.0 TSI MK4 Estate and I have noticed there is quite a lot of road noise, particularly over 50mph. It kind of sounds like a wheel bearing, not the usual constant tyre road but i doubt it is a bearing since the car is new. The wheels are 19” with Bridgestone Potenza tyres with a 40 profile. I’ve heard these tyres are renowned for being loud however I wouldn’t have expected it to be this loud! My local Skoda dealer said it’s normal but it doesn’t sound normal to me. Does anyone else have the same problem? 

Any difference if you increase the tyre pressures or reduce them.

Was that the local Drug Dealer or Skoda Dealership employee.

Was it a Technician or Workshop manager or salesperson that took the car on a road test? 

?

What were they supposed to say other than normal & do you know if they have had a hearing test recently.     They are called TOMMY by some.  Deaf, dumb and blind dudes.

Screenshot 2023-11-02 12.45.54 PM.png

26 minutes ago, RyanHarley said:

I’ve heard these tyres are renowned for being loud

If you're changing asphalt texture (roughness) - which is quite probable on longer trips or across towns - and the noise that you hear doesn't change tone and/or amplitude, it means it's not coming from the tyres.
I personally considered the GoodYear Efficient Grip that were fitted to my Octavia to be very noisy, but one could clearly hear the noise changes with respect to asphalt texture.

• Like 1

I've got the same car and I think it's the tyres as well, very noisy and hard wearing , it was a bit of a disappointment on my first drive in it. Had the same tyres nearly on a golf and they were the same , the car improved when I changed them.

My 23 plate came with Eagle F1 Assy 5s, and still similar with road noise. I’m going to be adding a load of sound deadening and insulation when I get chance (and I’ll do the missus car too, a 70 plate Piccanto, that thing is horrendous for road noise!)

Edited by sunshinedave

Before I bought mine I test drove one with 19" wheels and Bridgestone Potenza tyres, it was way too loud and I hated it. Ended up buying one with 18" wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres and noise/ride quality was so much better. Recently changed tyres out for Pilot Sport 5s and it's better again. 

Anyone who goes on Bridgestone website will see their description, nothing about quietness, comfort etc.  One thing they are not is an all year tyre designed to let your passengers waft along in peace and comfort.

Basically not going to get a very quiet tyre in the 19 inch size, it's more a vanity (pretty) size rather than a practical or quiet size

MASTER YOUR JOURNEY, AWAKEN YOUR SENSES

Potenza is Bridgestone's dedicated range for the performance segment. Achieve maximum cornering stability, straight stability, and dry braking for the ultimate driving experience.

2 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Anyone who goes on Bridgestone website will see their description, nothing about quietness, comfort etc.

Still winter Bridgestone is much quieter than summer Goodyear with which my Skoda came from factory.

• Like 1

I think I will look at changing the tyres then, but it pains me to do so since they only have a few hundred miles on them! What would be best Eagle F1 or Pilot Sport? Also is it worth increasing the profile to 45 instead of 40. Has anyone else done this? 

Anything mechanical runs the risk of a manufacturing fault. I had a new 23 Peugeot EV while I was waiting for my VRS.

2000 miles and I could here the typical bearing noise, took it in to get checked out and sure enough the bearing needed replacing.

I would get in checked out before you splash the cash on tyres.

I can't help ref the noise, not noticed anything abnormal?

I have always gone for wet weather performance and turned the radio up :)

My 73 VRS Estate arrived with Bridgestone Potenza  S005   225/40R19 93Y  Not sure what 71 to 72 means in the real world.

"Bridgestone Potenza S005
The Bridgestone Potenza S005 High Performance Tyres are High Performance Tyres that come in 4 different variants. The Potenza S005 model comes in a variety of rim sizes ranging from 18 to 19 inch. The Potenza S005 model range has sizes of tyre that have been officially rated as having a wet grip rating ranging from B to A. The Bridgestone Potenza S005 model has a fuel rating ranging from B to C. This Bridgestone model has noise ratings that range from a 71 to a 72."

Never skimp on tyres and breaks if you do a lot of driving as you may need to rely on them.

^^^

The Price of Tyres or that they come from Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli, Dunlop, Continental etc etc is no guarantee that they are good in the Wet, Cold / Ice, Snow or even dry roads.

They turn out sh!te tyres as well which have a Summer Bias / ECO.    Long lasting. fuel saving, lack of friction, so traction, so actual safety for you are yours. 

Interestingly, when I had a Mk2 Superb, I had what I and others thought was wheel bearing noise. The Delaers' Master Technical came out on the road with me and said, yep, sounds like a wheel bearing. Took it in the workshop and found no bearing issues.

A trip to my trusted tyre depot and they reckoned it was a tyre 'out of round'; took the wheel off and demo'd it. The tyres were a 30k miles old but with a reasonable amount of tread left. Anyway, new tyres fixed the noise.

Shared the info with my future son-in-law as he was concerned about bearing noise. He needed new tyres and they sorted the noise too.

• Like 1