Lane assist - does anyone actually like it?

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

The problem is exacerbated by high level rear brake lights especially the LED ones as the current legislation still dictates a maximum wattage and not luminous intensity, they can be much much brighter than a 21w halogen bulb behind a red glass and are directly in your line of sight.

Rooted, some of the modern front and rear indicators with clear lenses are so tiny that if they were fitted to a moped the flics would pull the youngster over and fine them yet they are fitted into massive LED rear light clusters that go across the whole rear of the car, its very hard to see the turn signal amongst the massive array of rear lights and with the brake lights on pretty much impossible, and thats if you havn't had to look away because of the brightness and the high level one.

I agree with this. Intensity is important. Sometimes the orange merges into the red.

• Like 1

I can understand a 16 year old or even a middle aged born again sports bike rider not wanting an indicator the size of a baked bean can ruining the sleek looks of their machine especially when a tiny but higher intensity LED indicator is very visible even in bright daylight, just look at what cyclists have now.

But the idiotic pre-pubescent car stylists seem to have decided to do their best to completely hide indicators on modern vehicles and render them invisible even when flashing.

• Like 3

On 09/11/2023 at 22:01, mccririck said:

I disable lane assist because it's annoying. I don't want to feel unnecessary "reminder nudges" when I'm focusing on the road. As I've already pointed out you feel it when you are deliberately off-centre on the road and there can be legitimate reasons for being off the centre line. I doubt many people purchased the car because it has lane assist. It was forced upon us - bundled in with everything else.

Ditto.  First, considering the state of our local roads, which require a degree of pothole dodging, it becomes an irritant within a few hundred yards as one seeks to dodge around them and LA keeps trying to argue!  Oddly, the manual (is it permitted to mention that?  🙂) says It is ".......designed primarily for driving on the motorway".

Second, the lane markings are heavily worn around home, so it gets hopelessly confused about where they have gone, and finally, there is a stretch where a single lane branches into three on approach to a roundabout: one left turn, two straight on, and it has a total nervous breakdown! 🙂

Also, if you're on a stretch of dual and want the right lane because you'll go right at the next roundabout, it goes all silly if you haven't indicated the lane change even if there is no following traffic - because Lane Assist doesn't/can't know that, can it?  I really don't understand why you can't simply turn it off, and leave it off.

• Like 3
  • Groan 1

10 minutes ago, SteveTheElder said:

Yes, there are limitations to the Lane Assist but they are learnt very quickly. On local roads the places where LA gives a nudge such as the one lane becoming three are quickly learnt too; just anticipate the LA nudge and steer/drive through it.

As for moving to the right hand lane n a dual carriage way, what is wrong with using the indicator? I really do not understand why anyone would disable a very useful bit of technology just so they don't have to use an indicator stalk. 🤷‍♂️

Embrace the technology because it, and more, will be in every car we buy from now on.

Cannot agree. It is not particularly useful and tries to steer for you. Far better to turn it off and then you don't have to predict it doing anything. I would keep it on for long motorway drives where your attention may be in danger of dropping. That is all.

Additionally I was taught by an ex traffic cop to use my mirrors when changing lanes and if there is nothing in the lane I'm pulling out into then no need to indicate. And returning to the left lane on a two lane dual carriageway no need to indicate.

• Like 2

I think the difference in opinion is down to the fact that some people are driving enthusiasts who actually like doing the driving for themselves as opposed to people who are lazy and like to have the car do it for them.

Hence the fact that standards of driving in the UK appear to have reduced to abysmal levels. I’m thinking of the types of idiots who drive in the middle lane on motorways for example. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dillers said:

I think the difference in opinion is down to the fact that some people are driving enthusiasts who actually like doing the driving for themselves as opposed to people who are lazy and like to have the car do it for them.

Hence the fact that standards of driving in the UK appear to have reduced to abysmal levels. I’m thinking of the types of idiots who drive in the middle lane on motorways for example. 

Ouch! That hurts. I am not a lazy driver. I am actively using things like ACC; engaging it and disengaging it to suit road, traffic, gradient etc. It's a tool, bit like the accelerator pedal and brake pedal.

I am a driving enthusiast who has embraced the technology to enhance my driving experience.

I could equally say that the difference of opinion is down to those stubborn enough to think they are the perfect driver taught by an ex traffic cop. However to do so would be petty and insiulting so I won't. Oh, I just did 🙄

The difference of opinion, in my view, is down to the fact that we are all individuals who like to do things differently. Not necessarily right or wrong, not necessarily better or worse. Just different. I don't understand why the tools are not used and embraced. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Edited by SteveTheElder
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 2

3 minutes ago, SteveTheElder said:

Yes, there are limitations to the Lane Assist but they are learnt very quickly. On local roads the places where LA gives a nudge such as the one lane becoming three are quickly learnt too; just anticipate the LA nudge and steer/drive through it.

As for moving to the right hand lane n a dual carriage way, what is wrong with using the indicator? I really do not understand why anyone would disable a very useful bit of technology just so they don't have to use an indicator stalk. 🤷‍♂️

Embrace the technology because it, and more, will be in every car we buy from now on.

Well, yes, but far easier to just turn it off!  🙂  Perhaps I wasn't quite clear on the lane change indication.  If there is other traffic to inform of my intended manoeuvre, I use the indicator, but where there is no other traffic, I don't.  One is expected to be aware of other traffic, and I see no point in signalling where there is none, merely to satisfy a dumb machine that has no idea whether or not there is other traffic.  On that basis, I don't find Lane Assist at all useful, just an annoying distraction.  Sorry!  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Loads of people around that think there is nobody to see them so do not indicate, they might not be behind they might be up the road waiting to pull out, cross a road etc.

Police Scotland Driving Instructors and many Police Drivers are a nightmare, total ****s in training cars unmarked apart from a wee sign in the Back window and you see this car or estate right up your jacksy as the think they can push to pass, and you should get out the way for their training but you think they want a race.

Friarton Bridge and area & also the Glasgow road. 

Then the Royal Protection guys / gals at Deeside in Audi,s heading to Grantown on Spey and i blew them off when i spotted them behind and then never catching up, and then i thought better slow a bit, they flashed the blues and i let them go.

Harry probably driving back then.

That was around the time they crashed into an ambulance at the Lecht.

Got that T Shirt  from Perthsire, and when i was at the filling station i asked the Instructor if he thought the covert training without blues was driving with Due Care & Attention and did he know the stopping distance at 70 mph.

That was when they still got BMW,s. 

My young lad thinks no need to indicate either. 

Edited by Rooted

5 minutes ago, SteveTheElder said:

I don't understand why the tools are not used and embraced.

Someone had a very good explanation for that:

6 minutes ago, SteveTheElder said:

the fact that we are all individuals who like to do things differently. Not necessarily right or wrong, not necessarily better or worse. Just different

11 minutes ago, SteveTheElder said:

Ouch! That hurts. I am not a lazy driver. I am actively using things like ACC; engaging it and disengaging it to suit road, traffic, gradient etc. It's a tool, bit like the accelerator pedal and brake pedal.

I am a driving enthusiast who has embraced the technology to enhance my driving experience.

I could equally say that the difference of opinion is down to those stubborn enough to think they are the perfect driver taught by an ex traffic cop. However to do so would be petty and insiulting so I won't. Oh, I just did 🙄

The difference of opinion, in my view, is down to the fact that we are all individuals who like to do things differently. Not necessarily right or wrong, not necessarily better or worse. Just different. I don't understand why the tools are not used and embraced. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Apologies, no offence was intended to you personally🙂 

I guess I just find it frustrating that these days the technology that gets enforced onto us in my opinion takes away our autonomy and the need for us to actually think and drive the car ourselves. Perhaps for some people it’s a good thing, but I do feel it just adds to the general dumbing down of society. Anyway, that’s just my opinion and I respect everyone’s right to their own. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SteveTheElder said:

Agree, there is no need to indicate if there is no one there - but it's easier than turning off lane assist. And what harm does indicating do? Just a thought.

Absolutely none, it is a personal preference.  However, I think I may have inadvertently provoked a misunderstanding.  I realise I said above, in a response to your post "I really don't understand why you can't simply turn it off, and leave it off."  What I should have said was " I really don't understand why one can't simply turn it off, and leave it off."  The "you" was not intended to be personal, it was just sloppy English!  Apologies.  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveTheElder said:

Agree, there is no need to indicate if there is no one there - but it's easier than turning off lane assist. And what harm does indicating do? Just a thought.

None, as such, but better drivers than I hold the view that making indicating a habit rather than a decided response to actual observation of other traffic (or the lack thereof) is a Bad Thing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Paws4Thot said:

None, as such, but better drivers than I hold the view that making indicating a habit rather than a decided response to actual observation of other traffic (or the lack thereof) is a Bad Thing.

Fair point, and I can see the "Bad Thing" logic - 'if I indicate I can pull out, regardless of traffic' is definitely an unwelcome [danergous?] trait in some drivers. Just that I commenting that to use the indicators is an alternative to the Lane Assist nudge experience.

Ah! a lightbulb moment...

Now I can see why some are irritated by LA if it's legal (and presumably common practice) in the UK to change lanes in some circumstances without indicating. The law here is pretty strict in that regard, any change of position on the road requires mandatory indication. Indicating is therefore second nature, like fastening the seat belt. Of course, there always those renegades who are predisposed to flouting the road rules in general. However, the fact that a lane change requires indication means the LA doesn't challenge your maneuver.

@SteveTheElder is right, why wouldn't you flick the indicator? That way the driver is in control, possibly better than disabling the feature or getting stressed over it?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Paws4Thot said:

Because, if you have observed properly, you know there is no one there to signal to.

But that's not the point. You're doing it to negate the LA resisting your change of lane. Is indicating (as a default habit) such a bad practice?  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SouthernComfort said:

But that's not the point. You're doing it to negate the LA resisting your change of lane. Is indicating (as a default habit) such a bad practice?  

So you're only doing it to negate the LA? Or you could just turn LA off and not have to.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SouthernComfort said:

Are you that incompetent!? The point is not that signalling is a good or bad habit. The point is that rote signalling to stop the Lane Enforce system activating is a bad habit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paws4Thot said:

Are you that incompetent!? The point is not that signalling is a good or bad habit. The point is that rote signalling to stop the Lane Enforce system activating is a bad habit.

Well, thank you....not! I suggest you just get on with it and I'll get on with enjoying my car as it is. 

• Like 3

Signals (rules 103 to 106), Hide

Rule 103

Signals warn and inform other road users, including pedestrians (see ‘Signals to other road users), of your intended actions. You should always

From the present UK highway code - note the last three words.

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AGFalco said:

Signals (rules 103 to 106), Hide

Rule 103

Signals warn and inform other road users, including pedestrians (see ‘Signals to other road users), of your intended actions. You should always

From the present UK highway code - note the last three words.

Thanks. AG Falco

You should always what?

Pax vobiscum folks!  🙂  The topic is Lane Assist, which I, personally, as stated above, find useless, and frequently irritating.  I just don't like the car trying to tell me where, on the road, it "thinks" it should be, because it actually knows nothing of the road ahead except where the (often barely visible) lane markings are, whereas I can see the roadkill and the potholes etc. that I want to dodge, and the line I want to take through a bend, etc. etc.   So, I turn it off.  That is me.  Others, inevitably will be different. 

I am unaware that failing to indicate to change lane on an empty road is an offence.  However, that does not mean that I do not indicate to change lane when there is following, or preceding traffic.  Signalling is a communication.  But to communicate, there has to be a recipient.

That does not mean I do not indicate right or left turns at junctions because the road is at that instant clear, because a) one slows to negotiate junctions and others, who may not be turning do not, so the actual traffic conditions can change very fast and b) there may be pedestrians or cyclists that are not initially visible on approach to the junction.  But again, that is me.  Driving is an observing, anticipating, thinking, and deciding activity and it is inevitable that we are all going to do it in slightly different ways.  Horses for courses?

• Like 4