Fabia Mk2 Tdi 1.4 2009 130k dead; what next?

staro30

So I started to lose power which turned out to be the timing belt slipping. Drove on for 10 miles. Then it must have slipped completely and the car stopped. It will not start. Belt is not snapped but the mechanic who recovered me has stated it needs a new engine.

At 130,000 miles it looks like that is the case. Or is it? What are my chance of sorting this inc labour for about £500?!

Local scrappers are offering £200 but it has a new tyre on last week and a full tank of diesel thus I've asked for 400. Likely? 

Quite happy to take the wheel/tyre off and put the spare but not sure if its worth it for £40 from someone on FB.

Best way to get diesel out? Suck it?! Will the tube get past any anti-siphon mechanism? Drain from bottom somehow?

Any other spares I could take off easily and sell quickly?

In mouring (been a great car)

Staro

Hello Staro, given the loss of power, then dead, I think the best you could hope for is bent valves - unlikely to be fixed for £500 inc. labour. If the cambelt is intact, presumably the belt tensioner failed?

Did any engine warning lights come on when you started to lose power? 

You could try using the fuel pump to drain the tank by disconnecting the feed at the fuel rack.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, staro30 said:

So I started to lose power which turned out to be the timing belt slipping. Drove on for 10 miles. Then it must have slipped completely and the car stopped. It will not start. Belt is not snapped but the mechanic who recovered me has stated it needs a new engine.

On what basis do you believe the timing belt "slipped" then "slipped" again, what your mechanic is telling you?

A broken cam belt can not be mistaken, I have never known one to "slip" but thats not to say it could not happen with a tensioner failure.

Does the engine whizz over too fast when you crank it compared to before?

• Like 1

No warning lights came on when I lost a bit of power and drove on for 10 miles.

Can anyone share a picture of what to do underneath the car to get the fuel pipe off and drain? Not quite sure how it will drain back up from ground level into my 1ft x 2ft tub even with a secure pipe attached? Force of the full tank?

Here is a video of the engine when we attempt to start! Fixable? Likely cost?

I think you can access the fuel tank from a panel under the rear seat. Pop seat up locate and remove panel and use either a drill type pump on hose or a jigger hose to empty it some. Bloody annoying cos I’m just about to scrap a whole Fabia as it’s not ulez friendly with 1.4 bms engine. Car done 160,00 but engine replaced with brand new one around 50,000 miles under warranty 

Not sure if the video is jerking, if the pulley is jerking but not rotating or if its a strobe effect from the video sampling rate, 3 seconds is not long enough to be sure as my computer often shows videos jerkily.

If the cam pulley was not turning then the belt has stripped around the crank pulley.

• Like 1

The cambelt has been stripped of its teeth and the valves are bent. The only way to get that fixed for £500 is to do it yourself!

You'll have to buy a pump to get the fuel out if the tank and into a big enough drum or a couple of jerry cans.

• Like 1