Does it matter what Air filter I buy?!

Diesel VRS, going to change air filter even though it's not on the actual schedule, but I've seen it's easy and cheap so would rather a new one than wait for thousands more miles. 

My question, should I go Skoda and get Genuine? Or will one from somewhere like Euro car parts be nearly identical? 

Thanks! 

As per above, go with genuine as filtering the air is more important than nay additional flow you may get from some other thing.  Diesels do not gain from a performance filter unless you are tuning massively and have uprated pretty much everything on the rest of the engine, fuel system, etc.  I think even modern petrol engines gain only a small amount due to the turbo and electronics controlling the output.

Thanks guys. 

More than happy to go genuine, not expecting much performance wise, but after a quick look at the amount of crap on the filter and leaves in the air box it might help a little. 

Stupid question, I can't find an actual skoda part, or is Bosch etc used anyway? 

Thanks 

Škoda doesn't make own filters so any of well-known brands (as stated above) will be ok or better (maybe better- because VAG is not testing all filters on market). For example, Octy 3 diesel engine oil filter OE is Hengst, top-brand. But Mahle/Knecht oil filter is better. Just take a look on patended central sealing.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/11/2023 at 22:42, SkodaNewb said:

Checking what's actually there could be a good plan! 

Just for matching of new filter / in general. In case if there was crap aftermarket brand installed- you'll install same crap again.