SOS Module Error

chur1996

Bought my brand new vRS Diesel about a month ago, five days in I got this warning:

image.thumb.png.c43a4218e8097c9f7b7365799d78082e.png

Posting on a Facebook Owner’s forum found this was relatively common, and may be fixed by a software update to version 1941 (mine is currently 1940), or module replacement if this doesn’t work. 

I bought the car from the other side of the country, so taking it to them wasn’t a viable option. I called my local Dealer and booked it in for the first available weekend slot. They confirmed that they’d try a software update first, and if this didn’t work then replace the module. 

Went in yesterday and left it with them for an hour or so, they rang to tell me that the update hadn’t worked and so they’d look at getting a new module and replacing it: fair enough. 

Got back to my car and checked the software - still 1940. Went back inside to query it, the lady went to speak to the technician before coming back and saying that the software for the SOS module was on the latest version. 

I apologised for being an internet expert, but explained that when looking online lots of owners had said the 1941 update solved a lot of errors, so I thought that was what was being done. Also, if 1941 is the latest version, why wouldn’t they update my brand new car with it?

Back she went, before returning and repeating what the technician had said earlier. Regarding the 1941 update, she said that software updates go out over the air and get released in batches, it obviously hadn’t got to my car yet. 

Again I said that looking online, owners had been updated to 1941 since at least August, and they had said they had had to go to the Dealership to have it done: again I was told it would go over the air and I would get it when Skoda thought my car needed it(!)

So: 

1) Was she correct and I have misinterpreted things online?

Or:

2) I am correct, and I’d be better off using a different Dealership?

Thanks!

I think there's a link in this thread, but whether it's still available for download I don't know.

It's quite easy to do if you follow the guidelines that I put up (page 26 IIRC) & watch the video, however the warning of "You do so at your own risk" applies, otherwise book the car in to your dealer and they will see what's required or just wait for the update to appear OTA.

1941 has been appearing on vehicles via the OTA system recently, along with a few other minor updates associated with it (I think I've had 4 in total so far). So you may want to wait and see if your car just does the update itself. But if you can find the link to do the download and feel confident enough to do the update yourself, that's great. If not try another dealership, and see what they say.

Since your car is brand new and already comes with 1940, yes, it will get SW updates OTA. However, there was a speculation previously that 1940 and 1941 are the same SW, just one is installed when car is made (1940) and the other is to update older versions (1941) on older cars. As far as I read online, nobody could confirm it, but it might be true. SOS module as all other modules have their own software, and as far as my experience with Skoda goes, they try to solve the problem locally with particular module before applying SW update or doing something else.

My 2021 registered First edition, purchased in October this year, had this issue on virtually every journey (along with a whole host of other Infotainment problems) so took it into the dealer with a complete list of issues, a print out of what seemed like the relevant Skoda TPI, and precisely what I thought needed doing which was updating to software version 1941 and also ensuring the SOS module firmware was updated.  The dealer updated me to 1941 and also updated the SOS module firmware and, touch wood, have had no issues since it was done a week ago (done two long journeys and commutes).

The dealer did say that the updates should come OTA but I think my extensive notes made them feel obliged to do the update themselves.  I guess see if you have trouble free driving with the work they have done and if issues persist insist the dealer sorts it out.

Edited by spcdust

7 minutes ago, chur1996 said:

Sorry, forgot to include that the problem hasn’t been fixed!

Definitely go back and insist on the 1941 update and make sure the SOS module firmware is updated.  I think your breaker is being a little “lazy” - I would argue it’s a safety issue.  Mine has gone from totally troublesome to no faults at all (so far)

50 minutes ago, spcdust said:

My 2021 registered First edition, purchased in October this year, had this issue on virtually every journey (along with a whole host of other Infotainment problems) so took it into the dealer with a complete list of issues, a print out of what seemed like the relevant Skoda TPI, and precisely what I thought needed doing which was updating to software version 1941 and also ensuring the SOS module firmware was updated.  The dealer updated me to 1941 and also updated the SOS module firmware and, touch wood, have had no issues since it was done a week ago (done two long journeys and commutes).

The dealer did say that the updates should come OTA but I think my extensive notes made them feel obliged to do the update themselves.  I guess see if you have trouble free driving with the work they have done and if issues persist insist the dealer sorts it out.

Can I ask if you could share the relevant TPI(s) as mine (May 2021) is going in on 4th Dec for what sounds like an identical set of jobs as well as some Recall ones. I have the SOS error, no sat nav, no ACC cruise control, no smart link, random/phantom screen clicks til it's warmed up, no mode selection (E modes).

Other than those, it drives well and plays music nicely!

7 minutes ago, spcdust said:

Definitely go back and insist on the 1941 update and make sure the SOS module firmware is updated.  I think your breaker is being a little “lazy” - I would argue it’s a safety issue.  Mine has gone from totally troublesome to no faults at all (so far)

In fairness they’re going to replace the module, I was trying to be ‘helpful’ by querying whether an update to 1941 might sort it. 

Ahhh, misunderstood, so waiting for new SOS module to be fitted?  Fair enough, I guess you could push them for the 1941 update at the same time so you don't have to wait for it to come around.

2 hours ago, chur1996 said:

In fairness they’re going to replace the module, I was trying to be ‘helpful’ by querying whether an update to 1941 might sort it. 

Sorry, misunderstood - you are awaiting the SOS module to come in and be fitted?  I guess you could ask for the 1941 update whilst it's in the workshop?

2 hours ago, Psaandja said:

Can I ask if you could share the relevant TPI(s) as mine (May 2021) is going in on 4th Dec for what sounds like an identical set of jobs as well as some Recall ones. I have the SOS error, no sat nav, no ACC cruise control, no smart link, random/phantom screen clicks til it's warmed up, no mode selection (E modes).

Other than those, it drives well and plays music nicely!

See attached.  This was posted by another Briskoda poster on another thread so thanks to them.

TPI_2065556-10.png.5d4f06e59cfc0299d190c193b46a2866.pdf

• Like 1

Took mine into Telford (Faintree) Skoda this morning, went through the list of errors and they think/hope can address (hopefully fix) most or all...

They were also to do the Recall work relating to HV mat and another electrickery thing  - went to Telford as local Wolverhampton dealer is HV Technicianless til Janaury. Seems Telford can't do the HV work either - might need to go to Shrewsbury,...

Anyhoo, got a 23 plate Octavia MK4 loan car (diesel not iV) - all the infotainment system is working so it's nice to see what I ought to have had including virtual cockpit and hopefully will get at the end of the day,or tomorrow. Its running 1941 and so far,all works and no errors.

Bonus and unexpected feature - Android Auto asked to connect so I said yes and all worked perfectly with NO USB-C CABLE as mine were in my cay. I thought they didn't do AAwireless, just the fruity flavour?

8 minutes ago, Psaandja said:

Took mine into Telford (Faintree) Skoda this morning, went through the list of errors and they think/hope can address (hopefully fix) most or all...

They were also to do the Recall work relating to HV mat and another electrickery thing  - went to Telford as local Wolverhampton dealer is HV Technicianless til Janaury. Seems Telford can't do the HV work either - might need to go to Shrewsbury,...

Anyhoo, got a 23 plate Octavia MK4 loan car (diesel not iV) - all the infotainment system is working so it's nice to see what I ought to have had including virtual cockpit and hopefully will get at the end of the day,or tomorrow. Its running 1941 and so far,all works and no errors.

Bonus and unexpected feature - Android Auto asked to connect so I said yes and all worked perfectly with NO USB-C CABLE as mine were in my cay. I thought they didn't do AAwireless, just the fruity flavour?

Since they updated the Infotainment software to 1941 and updated SOS Module firmware the difference to before is like night and day.  All working as expected

Update following a day with Skoda for updates:

1941 installed - yay, ?

SOS module didn't "pop pop" or error on 30 min journey home - sorted?

Sat nav no longer stalled at "loading" - is now a feature I can access via the shop!?! Presumably they want me to buy this standard feature for an iV Se Tech model?

Smart link - accessible via the shop...

Cruise control - nope...

Mode button - nope...

I went right back into showroom on trying to load sat nav and the response was a shoulder shrug and confusion - did you have sat nav before the upgrade etc, the whole point of being in all day was to resolve, under warranty, all the issues previously mentioned. I could talk to the technician who handled the work, only he's gone home. I did talk to the tech before even setting out to collect the car - I asked if he'd tested all the features now and were working - he said they had - clearly not.

Anyhoo, rant over, more lovely conversations with Skoda I suspect as well as some time sitting on the drive trying to get a primary user set up (with only one key?) so I can even access the shop to see if it's simply activating features, or having to buy what should (and was though broken) already be there.

Happy Tuesday!

Just take it to another Skoda dealer, I suspect that you may have a hardware issue as well.

Yes you should set the car up for primary user, but I doubt that affects the sat nav. Not that I use it, Waze or Google maps are superior.

4 hours ago, Psaandja said:

Update following a day with Skoda for updates:

1941 installed - yay, ?

SOS module didn't "pop pop" or error on 30 min journey home - sorted?

Sat nav no longer stalled at "loading" - is now a feature I can access via the shop!?! Presumably they want me to buy this standard feature for an iV Se Tech model?

Smart link - accessible via the shop...

Cruise control - nope...

Mode button - nope...

I went right back into showroom on trying to load sat nav and the response was a shoulder shrug and confusion - did you have sat nav before the upgrade etc, the whole point of being in all day was to resolve, under warranty, all the issues previously mentioned. I could talk to the technician who handled the work, only he's gone home. I did talk to the tech before even setting out to collect the car - I asked if he'd tested all the features now and were working - he said they had - clearly not.

Anyhoo, rant over, more lovely conversations with Skoda I suspect as well as some time sitting on the drive trying to get a primary user set up (with only one key?) so I can even access the shop to see if it's simply activating features, or having to buy what should (and was though broken) already be there.

Happy Tuesday!

Not sure you can set up Primsry user with one key - I thought you required two keys?  Very annoying that the dealer wasn’t more thorough in resolving your issues.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spcdust said:

Not sure you can set up Primary user with one key - I thought you required two keys?  Very annoying that the dealer wasn’t more thorough in resolving your issues.

You're right, need 2 keys so need to wait til No 2 is delivered and configured. On the plus side, I got SOOO close - "press unlock on second key" but while sat in and playing, another OTA came in and did it's stuff, whatever it did. Slow progress but it's progress.

• Like 2