Changing trailer lights from filament bulbs to LED - problems?

Simon D

I am planning to rewire my trailer and change from filament bulbs to LEDs.  My 2012 Elegance works fine with the trailer as it is, but would changing to LEDs cause any problems with the car recognising / reacting to the trailer lights any differently?

Thanks

Simon

It depends on whether you have a basic towing relay or the factory integrated system, for the former you will lose the audible warning that the trailer indicators are functioning which most of us use to confirm that the towing lead is actually plugged in. No great loss but you will need to be more vigilant when coupling.

For the latter I am not sure, others may advise.

If you have the proper Skoda approved towing electrics then yes it will cause the Bulb Failure System to show an error on the trailer almost as soon as you plug the trailer in.
I speak from experience!

(Also been lots of threads on the Bailey caravan groups about this with VAG cars)

• Like 2

I have dealer-fitted towbar electrics on my 2022 Karoq and LED trailer lights work fine. Certainly no bulb failure warnings.

I also have the electrically-powered hitch which is a boon. The retrofitted towbar system was one of the few dealer-fitted packages that was good value for money.

On 11/12/2023 at 19:14, Rgsmg53 said:

I have dealer-fitted towbar electrics on my 2022 Karoq and LED trailer lights work fine. Certainly no bulb failure warnings.

I also have the electrically-powered hitch which is a boon. The retrofitted towbar system was one of the few dealer-fitted packages that was good value for money.

However a Karoq is not the same as a Yeti.

On 11/12/2023 at 17:20, Llanigraham said:

If you have the proper Skoda approved towing electrics then yes it will cause the Bulb Failure System to show an error on the trailer almost as soon as you plug the trailer in.

I was merely responding to a broad brush statement which is not 100% accurate! There was no mention of Yeti in your post.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rgsmg53 said:

I was merely responding to a broad brush statement which is not 100% accurate! There was no mention of Yeti in your post.

Err??
You are replying to a thread in the YETI section of the forum and the OP specifically states he has a Elegance, a YETI model. 
How much more specific do you want it?

• Like 2