World Trade movements face days and even weeks of delays due to Middle East military actions ( Suez) and environmental problems (Panama)

lol-lol

8 minutes ago, Rooted said:

What is the story with the UK,s other allies and the defence of the sea routes.

Lots of stuff is bound for the EU and mainland Europe.  Are the French and Germans doing their bit.

Is it really that nobody want a war with Iran, other than the USA and the UK.  Well other than those that supplies the military equipment to Iran. 

The word defence is used very loosely. Who would the Brirish be defending ?  There is no British merchant navy to speak of. A few passenger ships maybe. French were first to do conveying I heard but then they have a massive merchant navy ie CMA.

Danish are big with Maersk and then there is Swiss-French Geneva based MSC.

I wonder if China shipping or One the other Far East shipping company plan some convoys but it needs to be done a couple hundred miles before reaching Arabian peninsula.

Wars are helpful in election years to incumbent. So why not have a couple ie Ukraine and Middle East.  Not so good for British people's economics though.

Tesla Berlin will just have to make good the cars that would have come from tesla China.

• Like 1

Sir Kier Starmer MP if he gets to be PM is going to just keep on with the UK or UK Companies owned by USA companies selling 'Defence Equipment'  to Saudi Arabia and others so that they can kill and maim the innocent. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

On 15/01/2024 at 21:48, Rooted said:

Sir Kier Starmer MP if he gets to be PM is going to just keep on with the UK or UK Companies owned by USA companies selling 'Defence Equipment'  to Saudi Arabia and others so that they can kill and maim the innocent. 

Sir KS will not say anything that will harm his electoral run and how much a Labour government would controlling export licences is an unknown factor.

Some of what is sold to Saudi is not weapony that would harm their enemies and only some would be.

It can be controlled on a case by case basis of the type of weaponry being exported.

Like with anything the current UK government do, could it be worse ?          

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

On 18/12/2023 at 13:14, lol-lol said:

Over the weekend major shipping companies decided to suspend putting their ships through the Suez canal due shore to ship rocketing from Yemen.

https://www.tradefinanceglobal.com/posts/shipping-firms-pause-red-sea-routes-after-vessel-attacks/

"Recent attacks in the Red Sea by Houthi militants in Yemen have caused major freight companies, including Denmark’s A.P. Moller-Maersk, Swiss-based MSC and French group CMA CGM, to choose to reroute their ships away from the Suez Canal.  Market participants speculated that a sustained interruption to this essential passage, which facilitates East-West trade without the need to circumnavigate Africa, might lead to higher shipping rates."

In a completely separate story the Panama canal continues to run low water levels mean that other key transit ocean to ocean for world trade is also causing delays to world trade.   

https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/fuel-tankers-face-long-slog-panama-canal-drought-reroutes-flows-2023-12-13/

Could lead to higher landed cost of goods but also an opportunity for European manufacturers to reap a competitive advantage ?

On 12/01/2024 at 01:14, @Lee said:

If the Houthi are "rebels" & "militants", who are they rebelling against?

Perhaps someone could tell us (with a source) who the legitimate government of Yemen is?

25 minutes ago, EnterName said:

If the Houthi are "rebels" & "militants", who are they rebelling against?

Perhaps someone could tell us (with a source) who the legitimate government of Yemen is?

Legitimacy is supremacy is it not ? Yes there is the UN but that is a bit of a crony club too with a few members with vetoes. 

When my dad was a British soldier in Palestine in 1946 and 1947, tasked with trying to keep the peace between Jews and Arabs and being shot at, my uncle, as a British soldier, was shot and injured other two British soldier were killed.  The leaders of the Jewish militia become the first Leaders of the new state of Israel, Menagine Begin, Mousure Dian for example.  With US support the Jews took control of that area, which has grown considerably since then.

It just proves might is right, history tends to be written by the winners. Land borders are fluid, todays rebels might be tomorrow's recognised government, there is no definitive legitimate government in Yemen, as no free and fair election recently, if ever. What source who you accept ?  The UN, UK, US, they all just make it up as they go along influenced by their own political interests.  To the spoils the victor.  There are over a hundred UN instructions for Israel to amend it borders and actions, all ignored because they can, with the support of the US etc.     

It is all a question of perspective and there is no clear body of rule or right.  We really could do these below popping by to help the world sort itself out.  

image.jpeg.89af9c7d49fd21b2b2d2a88a9a288d6e.jpeg

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Legitimacy is supremacy is it not ? Yes there is the UN but that is a bit of a crony club too with a few members with vetoes. 

When my dad was a British soldier in Palestine in 1946 and 1947, tasked with trying to keep the peace between Jews and Arabs and being shot at, my uncle, as a British soldier, was shot and injured other two British soldier were killed.  The leaders of the Jewish militia become the first Leaders of the new state of Israel, Menagine Begin, Mousure Dian for example.  With US support the Jews took control of that area, which has grown considerably since then.

It just proves might is right, history tends to be written by the winners. Land borders are fluid, todays rebels might be tomorrow's recognised government, there is no definitive legitimate government in Yemen, as no free and fair election recently, if ever. What source who you accept ?  The UN, UK, US, they all just make it up as they go along influenced by their own political interests.  To the spoils the victor.  There are over a hundred UN instructions for Israel to amend it borders and actions, all ignored because they can, with the support of the US etc.     

It is all a question of perspective and there is no clear body of rule or right.  We really could do these below popping by to help the world sort itself out.  

image.jpeg.89af9c7d49fd21b2b2d2a88a9a288d6e.jpeg

I agree with most of what you've said.

My perspective is that "rebels" or "militants" are any group that America (and it's various proxies around the world) don't want to have power, and "freedom fighters" are groups that America and Co. (collectively the Global American Empire?) do want to see in power.

• Like 1

Well that's a couple of RN vessels out of action in the region for the foreseeable. Haven't they got reversing sensors? I'd have definitely specced reversing sensors on the options list myself.

Edited by @Lee

One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist depending on how the media portray them. 

I've no interest in what the chap you quoted has to say tbh but suffice to say he was happy that another topic was closed because he was upset that he agreed with me. 

Lots of stuff in the ME is linked IMO but picking apart which bits is a bit of a task but things certainly seem to have escalated since a few months ago. Saudi/ Yemen, Pakistan/ Iran etc. 

UK government have, according to Zahah Sultana MP (Lab), been hiding from Parliament their knowledge of Israel 

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1748456615915696521.html

Spoiler

Screenshot_20240120-014617.thumb.png.de353bce12d52f44d72d243f8732196d.png

Edited by @Lee

12 hours ago, @Lee said:

Well that's a couple of RN vessels out of action in the region for the foreseeable. Haven't they got reversing sensors? I'd have definitely specced reversing sensors on the options list myself.

Chiddingfold is/was 40 years old perhaps Royal Navy doing an insurance to to get a replacement boat/ship ?

Bangor was only about 25 years old.   Royal Navy cannot afford to lose ships as it is such as small navy to start with.

Maybe some seagull poo on the reversing camera.  probably blame the engineer for not engaging forward fast enough.  Sticky gear stick.

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 20/01/2024 at 00:48, @Lee said:

One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist depending on how the media portray them. 

I've no interest in what the chap you quoted has to say tbh but suffice to say he was happy that another topic was closed because he was upset that he agreed with me. 

Lots of stuff in the ME is linked IMO but picking apart which bits is a bit of a task but things certainly seem to have escalated since a few months ago. Saudi/ Yemen, Pakistan/ Iran etc. 

UK government have, according to Zahah Sultana MP (Lab), been hiding from Parliament their knowledge of Israel 

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1748456615915696521.html

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_20240120-014617.thumb.png.de353bce12d52f44d72d243f8732196d.png

I'd like it to go on record that I am not paying Lee any rent.

Rishi 'where's me troosers' Sunak thinks it's OK to send the RAF in to bomb countries in the Middle East on a whim. No Parliamentary debate in the UK's new found 'Sovereign' world. No informing the opposition and lieing about it if asked.
Self-defence? Call me Dave has said it's nothing to do with what's going on in Gaza but the Houthis's have said if the war stops in Gaza then they'll stop.
And after Cameron's history I'm more inclined to believe the Houthi's.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/22/us-uk-airstrikes-houthi-yemen-what-we-know-so-far-explainer 

Just don't talk about last night's Panorama, measles, rickets etc on the rise.

Edited by @Lee

2 hours ago, @Lee said:

Rishi 'where's me troosers' Sunak thinks it's OK to send the RAF in to bomb countries in the Middle East on a whim. No Parliamentary debate in the UK's new found 'Sovereign' world. No informing the opposition and lieing about it if asked.
Self-defence? 
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/22/us-uk-airstrikes-houthi-yemen-what-we-know-so-far-explainer 

Just don't talk about last night's Panorama, measles, rickets etc on the rise.

If doing badly in the polls, have a war.  Hell, have two.

Costing uk taxpayer billions, shipping and the world very expensive. Military costs adding to UK economics woes and actions appearing to make situation worse rather than better.

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

On 21/01/2024 at 07:47, EnterName said:

Yes.

Bah! I thought I'd posted this just after me last post. Interesting context from BN.

Looks like Bibi is not interested in a two-state solution.

image.thumb.png.5e7cff75d8c3fc8b0564daea3fdc7b0d.png

He's done a little more sabre-rattling today.

image.thumb.png.5d864750f9862b7486522a0eee1fe05e.png

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EnterName said:

Looks like Bibi is not interested in a two-state solution.

Then he's going to condemn Israel and the Palestinians to a perpetual state of war - both groups have a history stretching back over more than 2000 years to live in the area at the Eastern end of the Mediterranean, and unless and until that is recognised by all concerned there will be conflict resulting in pain, injury and death.

• Like 3

On 23/01/2024 at 16:42, PetrolDave said:

Then he's going to condemn Israel and the Palestinians to a perpetual state of war - both groups have a history stretching back over more than 2000 years to live in the area at the Eastern end of the Mediterranean, and unless and until that is recognised by all concerned there will be conflict resulting in pain, injury and death.

Yes, it will be business as usual.

• Like 1

To think that the UK could fight a land war, a sea or air war against Russia or even Andorra  with conscripts is laughable.

I doubt the Secretary of State for Defence can fight sleep. 

We as in this Island Nation will be using Laser though with Dragonfire. 

Grant Shapps MP is the genius that knows powering these lands is going to be with Satellites in the space to absorb the suns rays & the electricity will  beam energy to the earths surface in the form of radio waves to add to the National Grid.

That will be the £4.3 million he announced in June 23 well spent .

In no way was this anything to do with a military application and a way of helping get away with giving more cash money to the USA.

The UK does not lead the world in technology and are a super power they can also spin a story with world leading media owned by oversea oil rich wealth funds.

Screenshot 2024-01-28 07.33.53.png

Screenshot 2024-01-28 07.47.25.png

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

Americans or some are just pure nuts.  If they think they can bomb Iran or anyplace else they will lose yet again.

The time is coming when they should have no bases in Jordan or the Syanian border.

?

Why did Jordan first say the drone strike killing 3 American soldiers was not in Jordan, then change that? 

America is not the World Police, and neither is the UK.    America keeps on about having oil and coal and gas and not wanting to trade with China, Japan or whoever.

Stay on their own continent and fall out with the South and the North then. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...