internet radio

leslie6400

Hi  Had my new Karoq 3 weeks now , drove to Belgium last week and tried to get radio 2 on the internet . I have Skoda connect and all the settings are activated but could not pick up any stations on the internet just get a circle going around on the screen any ideas many thanks

Internet radio is arguably a case of mis-selling! 

I struggled for ages to get my Karoq to load internet radio stations, and even tried parking under a mobile phone mast to improve reception. But eventually I discovered the eSim in the car was not licensed to receive the data needed to listen to internet radio. Instead Skoda want you to sign up to an expensive monthly or yearly data pack to get this to work. (However I did find that it would work by using my phone as a data hot point, and setting the car to use that as a data source instead, and thought that might be useful when I travelled abroad on holiday.)

Chris

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/12/2023 at 17:58, CJJE said:

Internet radio is arguably a case of mis-selling! 

I struggled for ages to get my Karoq to load internet radio stations, and even tried parking under a mobile phone mast to improve reception. But eventually I discovered the eSim in the car was not licensed to receive the data needed to listen to internet radio. Instead Skoda want you to sign up to an expensive monthly or yearly data pack to get this to work. (However I did find that it would work by using my phone as a data hot point, and setting the car to use that as a data source instead, and thought that might be useful when I travelled abroad on holiday.)

Chris

Just tried this - have to say the sound quality on Internet radio is significantly improved on DAB+ broadcasts. 

Bit of a faff to set up though,  so back to patchy DAB listening (as a consequence of interference from my Dashcam's WiFi signal  - https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/516540-dashcam-install-has-killed-dab/) for me🤨

This is still interesting for me as i have this cubic subscription. No chance to start this webradio in Infotainment. Please try later is always the answer. I have Amundsen and retrofitted the Webradio with coding. Seems like it is really a mis-selling feature.

Posted (edited)

Totally agree never explained by the dealer , nothing in the handbook , i think they just want to get more money out of you as my Karoq has  E sim 

Edited by leslie6400

Can I just query what 'internet radio' means. Is this about DAB radio. If so, the stations are only broadcast quite locally. If the reference is to radio via internet, the issue with BBC stations is that they may well only work with a UK IP, so a VPN will possibly be required.  

t, the issue with BBC stations is that they may well only work with a UK IP, so a VPN will possibly be required.

BBC radio online is available worldwide , with some exceptions for specific broadcasts e.g some sports commentaries

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/listening-outside-the-uk/listen-outside-uk

Its TV via IPlayer that requires a UK IP address

I used to spend a few weeks in Portugal during the winter and listened extensively to BBC Radio via a local internet connection. TV via IPlayer, on the other hand, was a no go without a VPN connection

I listen a lot to radio stations from around the world in the house ,and would like to listen to them in the car as it says internet radio with in me entertainment system in the car , but looks like you have to pay a monthly fee to use the E sim fitted in the car to do this