Switch off cigarette ligther 12v when car closed

Hello

on my octavia 3 I am trying to deactivate the 12v after ignition because currently my 12v cigarette lighter sockets are permanently powered even when the car has been closed for several hours, it is annoying because I often have an electric cooler in the trunk and sometimes I forget to unplug it. 

I saw on the Golf 7 forums that it was necessary to move fuse number 40 to the bottom but on the Octavia I don't have a connection pin on the fuse box and therefore it doesn't work.

Would you know how to do it?

I have access to Vcds / vagcom.

thank you so much

I flattened my battery using a cooler box. Camping in France. I then fitted a hard wired  automatic cut out which senses when the voltage drops too low. Towsure etc in the UK.

I prefer the permanently live sockets overall.

• Like 1

I'm not English speaker, with a translator I'm not sure understand well (translation of technical terms)

can you send a link of the material are talking about?  

no way to make the cut without adding something else, with a computer and VCDS?  

Thank you

8 hours ago, nickytheshaft said:

It is odd.

On my 2014, I have a usb cable that has a permanent led. When the car is closed, the led goes if after a minute ir so.

I think ut does the same with the cooler in the trunk 

IIRC only on UK supplied cars are the 12V sockets permanently on.

I seem to remember that non-UK cars do have a movable fuse to select always on or ignition only.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

I seem to remember that non-UK cars do have a movable fuse to select always on or ignition only.

Why would a manufacturer go to so much trouble and change a Fuse box?

Is this a uk mandatory thing?

20 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

My brother in laws 2016 Golf R is similar in some ways, but does not have permanently live sockets. A strange VW/Skoda difference. I did help him out with remote window opening options, which were the same as my 2016 Octavia.. 

On 31/12/2023 at 12:08, nickytheshaft said:

I will check the diagram when I take the car out later today 

So I am an idiot, took the manual out of the car a few months ago to gain space in the glove box and forgot where I put it. So I can't match the Fuses....

Edited by nickytheshaft

52 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

So I am an idiot, took the manual out of the car a few months ago to gain space in the glove box and forgot where I put it. So I can't match the Fuses....

I suspect the situation is the same as described here, with your car having the wires/fuse sockets in the necessary positions 'halfway down' Fuse 40:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/520005-👋-how-to-cut-power-to-the-cigarette-lighter-when-the-car-turns-off/?do=findComment&comment=5815406

image.png.8a3a0119fc9e6a95e201e3a5d539bc94.png

Now I know what to look for (Thanks Pete!) I will check mine before driving this afternoon.

It does, I checked and there was no possibility of an either/or placement of any of the fuses.

On the pictogram I could see a fuse for the cigarette lighter and there was another icon that did not mean anything to me but had 12v written on it, maybe that is the rear socket?

If ever I have to remove the fuseboard I might do some recabling if it is a dedicated fuse.

ok so after going mad I got the PDF manual from the SKODA site.

Also I was wrong, it is the usb that shuts down after contact not the cigarette ligthter. 

So it seem that my car is like hat Brrezy_Pete said, my 40 fuse can be it 2 positions and it is actually in the up position.

I will open my fuse box later and check all of this.

12V.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nickytheshaft said:

ok so after going mad I got the PDF manual from the SKODA site.

Also I was wrong, it is the usb that shuts down after contact not the cigarette ligthter. 

So it seem that my car is like hat Brrezy_Pete said, my 40 fuse can be it 2 positions and it is actually in the up position.

I will open my fuse box later and check all of this.

12V.JPG

So I have the space to move the fuse but there is no pin inside. 

I guess we are stuck with unplugging phone chargers and others.

I didn't use the charger until today as I now have a wireless android auto dongle. Before the phone was plugged to the USB port 

This is exactly what I described at the beginning, there are no wires in front of the low position for fuse 40, unlike the Golf 7 for example.

What do you call automatic dongle?

25 minutes ago, Anacoth said:

This is exactly what I described at the beginning, there are no wires in front of the low position for fuse 40, unlike the Golf 7 for example.

What do you call automatic dongle?

It is an adaptor that you plug in the usb port and lets you have wireless android auto rather than plugging the phone to the USB port. The usb port has slow charging and the phone gets really hot on it.

With the dongle, the phone can charge on the cigarette lighter at hight wattage and still lets you navigate and other...

Android auto being using the phone features like navigation, Spotify and so on the head unit 

Edited by nickytheshaft

OK i don't have android auto 

No possibility of cutting off the 12v so...

I still hope that the car will go into energy saving mode which will deactivate the accessories so that the battery level becomes critical to Start engine 

3 minutes ago, Anacoth said:

OK i don't have android auto 

No possibility of cutting off the 12v so...

I still hope that the car will go into energy saving mode which will deactivate the accessories so that the battery level becomes critical to Start engine 

Are you sure it has this function? @gregoirmentioned his cooler box flattened the battery and he now uses a 3rd party cut out system.

I have no idea, I just hope the Germans aren't that stupid and have thought about this.

For the "3rd party cut out system" it's unclear to me, I use a translator and once converted into my language it means nothing

18 hours ago, Anacoth said:

I have no idea, I just hope the Germans aren't that stupid and have thought about this.

For the "3rd party cut out system" it's unclear to me, I use a translator and once converted into my language it means nothing

If I understand correctly, he's fitted a device which senses when the voltage in the battery is getting low and cuts power to the circuit he's running his cooler from.

I solved my problem by connecting the cigarette lighter sockets (fuse 40), instead of the fuse, to the power supply for the rear windshield wiper (fuse 47).  

1421304579_IMG_20240117_1006343.thumb.jpg.ca411f42ac1b6c165ef04f79b8602632.jpg

To do this I used a “tap” fuse holder and a flat tip

1987038410_IMG_20240117_1011402.thumb.jpg.72e2cf88aafd71d633e0f024031d4643.jpg

Edited by Anacoth