12v socket and dashcam power feed issue

Viffer800

Right, here's one for you

Hope this makes sense and maybe helps some of you. 

I discovered that the 12v sockets in the centre console of Skoda vehicles with Auto Stop/Start are permanently live.  Both of them!!!

Now I can envisage scenarios where people might find this useful.  However, using it to power my case a Nextbase 222X dashcam which then can't auto power down when the ignition is turned off is not one of them.  "Oh, that's unfortunate" was duly uttered.  Or words to that effect anyway. 😆

I considered fitting a separate hard-wired power feed to the fuse box but based on the Nadia Comaneci-esque contortions I managed to pull off I could not see a suitable place to attach the black/negative wire.   There may be one.  I just didn't manage to spot one.  That ruled out that solution. 

So, what next I asked myself ......

Well, I considered leaving a reminder note in the vehicle but if I wasn't reacting to the powered up screen of the 222X and pulling the plug from the 12v socket then a (conspicuous) fluorescent card or summat was hardly going to cut the mustard as a successful Plan B. 

Plan C however may just do the trick.   If you've got this far pin back your lug 'oles and bear with me.

I downloaded the IFTTT  (If This Then That) app on to my phone.  There's a premium version but the free one lets you create 2 Applets.  I guess that's to whet users' appetites before deciding the premium version was a mush have.   I only need one so there was a foc/nil/nada + right there.

I then created a simple 2 step action based on my phone disconnecting from a Bluetooth device (my Karoq) and then the App sends a dedicated sound notification quite distinct from the default for all other apps.  

I tested it a couple of times and around 10 secs after turning the ignition off the app specific notification sounded.

Result.  

Thanks for reading if you're still awake 😁

So there is a great post on this site that I used to fit a Nextbase Hardwired Dashcam Kit to my Karoq (MY2018) that shows where wired the black lead to pick up the earth/negative/ground

Link to Article: 

Hardest part was getting the springs on the side of the glove box to release and managed to do this one Saturday morning, in about 30mins, whilst parked in a car park waiting for my son to finish his Park Run!

Link to Hardwire kit fitted:  Series 2 Hardwire Kit | Nextbase

Hope this helps?

My nextbase dashcam switches itself off when the car is not occupied, the current drain must be negligable as it has been connrected to the permanently live socket for 3 years now and has no effect on the car battery.

Only just got my Karoq so I haven't looked yet but in a previous VW there are two slots for the fuse, one which is permanent live and one is ignition live. I looked in the handbook today and I think this might be the case for the Karoq but I didn't move the fuse to try it. 

I'm keen to see how people have routed their cables for the dash camera. Any advice? 

My Nextbase 522 + Rear Screen Camera were fitted by the dealer, hard wired to a permanent live feed & power cable routed up A pillar. Power/data cable to rear screen comes off camera & is routed under the roof lining.

522 apparently has a motion detector which turns it on when the engine starts & off when the engine stops. This includes when start/stop engages at, say, traffic lights. The re-start is so quick I don't notice it.

It also turns the cameras on if the car is parked & is nudged (or worse) by somebody else so no more anonymous car park hit & runs.

I see that Nextbase offers an installation service at your home  but don't know what this costs or if it's available as a separate service after purchase of the camera.

I checked my 222X and while it has the 'Nudge' feature should some eejit hit it in a car park or whatever it does not unfortunately go on to Standby if no movement is detected after parking up.  It sounds like it should but so far it disnae.  I'll keep on its case.

However, I haven't ruled out hard wiring at some point but for the time being at least the solution I described above with the IfTTT app and an in your face 🔊 notification works a treat. 😁

On 28/12/2023 at 18:59, Viffer800 said:

Right, here's one for you

Hope this makes sense and maybe helps some of you. 

I discovered that the 12v sockets in the centre console of Skoda vehicles with Auto Stop/Start are permanently live.  Both of them!!!

Now I can envisage scenarios where people might find this useful.  However, using it to power my case a Nextbase 222X dashcam which then can't auto power down when the ignition is turned off is not one of them.  "Oh, that's unfortunate" was duly uttered.  Or words to that effect anyway. 😆

I considered fitting a separate hard-wired power feed to the fuse box but based on the Nadia Comaneci-esque contortions I managed to pull off I could not see a suitable place to attach the black/negative wire.   There may be one.  I just didn't manage to spot one.  That ruled out that solution. 

So, what next I asked myself ......

Well, I considered leaving a reminder note in the vehicle but if I wasn't reacting to the powered up screen of the 222X and pulling the plug from the 12v socket then a (conspicuous) fluorescent card or summat was hardly going to cut the mustard as a successful Plan B. 

Plan C however may just do the trick.   If you've got this far pin back your lug 'oles and bear with me.

I downloaded the IFTTT  (If This Then That) app on to my phone.  There's a premium version but the free one lets you create 2 Applets.  I guess that's to whet users' appetites before deciding the premium version was a mush have.   I only need one so there was a foc/nil/nada + right there.

I then created a simple 2 step action based on my phone disconnecting from a Bluetooth device (my Karoq) and then the App sends a dedicated sound notification quite distinct from the default for all other apps.  

I tested it a couple of times and around 10 secs after turning the ignition off the app specific notification sounded.

Result.  

Thanks for reading if you're still awake 😁

Just fitted my dash cam to my newly acquired 2020Karoq.

Looking at the fuse box behind the glovebox, if you look just below it to the left side there is a large torx screw. If you slacken this slightly you can push the crimped spade connection on the black wire behind it. This is a good earth point. I managed the whole installation in ten minutes or so and I am 73.

2 hours ago, Davide57 said:

Just fitted my dash cam to my newly acquired 2020Karoq.

Looking at the fuse box behind the glovebox, if you look just below it to the left side there is a large torx screw. If you slacken this slightly you can push the crimped spade connection on the black wire behind it. This is a good earth point. I managed the whole installation in ten minutes or so and I am 73.

Thanks

I know it is a fairly straightforward task as I have done it before in my wife's car. 

The difficulty I have is that it is only 3 weeks after keyhole surgery on my knee so can't risk further injury kneeling down on the floor to install a kit on my Karoq. 

At some point I expect I'll do it but I have a working solution for the time being. 👍

• Like 2

On 29/12/2023 at 15:20, Viffer800 said:

I checked my 222X and while it has the 'Nudge' feature should some eejit hit it in a car park or whatever it does not unfortunately go on to Standby if no movement is detected after parking up.  It sounds like it should but so far it disnae.  I'll keep on its case.

However, I haven't ruled out hard wiring at some point but for the time being at least the solution I described above with the IfTTT app and an in your face 🔊 notification works a treat. 😁

Every day is indeed a school day

I thought my Nextbase 222X had Parking Mode but I could only find a setting for the G Sensor in Settings.  After some more searching and fettling I discovered earlier today that you need to press the Menu button twice to access a separate set of feature settings.  One of which is, you've guessed it, Parking Mode.   Enabled it.  Turned off ignition.  Waited 5 minutes (the period it states in the manual that it will go on to Standby if no movement detected)  Bingo!!! 

Don't need the IfTTT work round now but handy to know I have that as a back up if required.

I also don't need to buy and fit a hard-wiring kit.  Double bonus

• Like 2