Recommend me a film or tv show NOT to watch

Lady Elanore

I've just watched a lowest common denominator film called Lift, on Netflix. It was awful painting by numbers trash and so felt perhaps it's time for an alternative thread on the flip side of film and tv. Think of a corny film heist trope and it's in this movie. I wrote the following in a different thread, but please feel free to share your rantings on other film and tv shows.

Lift. A film written by either a 6 year old or an AI with the electronic equivalent of a lobotomy. Utter, utter, utter nonsense. Predictable, unfunny, ridiculous, naff acting, generic musical score and cinematography. The once wonderful Jean Reno is in it, taking the money for his retirement fund it appears. The list goes on. Honestly, you would be better off counting the number of bricks in your gable end. 

1/10 (and that's only because watching it with all my home theatre switched on, warmed my room). It's on Netfilx if you want to avoid it - and you should

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This is very much not the first, shall we say, slightly unfavourable review of Lift that I've seen, and between you you've saved a couple of hours of my life that I would not have other wise have got back. So, thanks.

• Like 1

On 23/01/2024 at 08:59, Paws4Thot said:

"The Roller-Blade Seven" - I've seen this film once, paid -£1-00 Sterling for it (group buy X titles for £Y) and still think it was overpriced!

It sounds like one of those movies that is so bad, it's good. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

It sounds like one of those movies that is so bad, it's good. 

'Pitch for a film. The Money Supermarket Seven but on rollerblades' 

DbyhepwWkAEc-hl.jpg.7a6d85b6f59be360f5dbb4b4d8c26430.jpg

• Like 1

Pacific Rim 👎

In my defence, I think it might be my Son's DVD from when he left home some years ago.  I watched it in the vain hope it might improve, but it disappointed.  I'm not surprised he didn't take it with him.

Dire film about big robots piloted by two crew and fighting big monsters.  Bizarrely one crew member controlled one side of the robot, but still ran/moved like a biped.  Utter nonsense.

1/10 from me.

Gaz

• Haha 1

I must admit watching this many years ago. It was visually wonderful and who doesn't like to see giant robots fight giant monsters, but it was a tad silly and in its defence, the follow-up movie was worse fwiw :D

• Like 2

Rebel Moon

Netflix own attempt at Starwars.
Really very very poor, deriviative and honestly deeply dull. Plus many many shark jumping/fridge nuking moments.

I'll watch any old tripe normally but I never made it to the end of this.

Star Wars gets mentioned a lot but tbh it's much more like a very bad remake of Battle Beyond the Stars which was not a great film itself.

• Like 1

Agreed. Rebel Moon was less fun than paying my tax bill. Complete tripe (although that might be being unfair to tripe). These Scifi/hero movies have lost their way and think that a bunch of special fx and a shed of load of CGI (often looking like it's been done on a BBC Micro) make up for lack of story, or character development. 

This is much more fun and I care about the characters more

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Loved Star Fleet and the other puppet space based series Terrahawks. 

I seem to remember Star Fleet was on BBC and ITV had Terrahawks. 

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, @Lee said:

Loved Star Fleet and the other puppet space based series Terrahawks. 

I seem to remember Star Fleet was on BBC and ITV had Terrahawks. 

Zelda gave me nightmares

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Aspman said:

Zelda gave me nightmares

there was a different Zelda in the television of my younger days, but she didnt give me nightmares ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 31/01/2024 at 02:47, @Lee said:

Anything ending in 'nado'. 

no, it involved witches..

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

no, it involved witches..

I was recommending not watching anything ending in 'nado' :D e.g Sharknado

• Haha 1

I gather some of the later Sharknados were so apocalyptically bad, they were worth a watch (assuming a lot of alcohol is involved) 

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

Can I be a bit controversial and add Avatar 2? The first one was interesting, but the second was just boring, rehash, nonsense. I didn't care about any of the characters (real or not) and gave up about halfway through. I won't be watching the many sequels to come, not unless I'm under the influence and have my eyes forced open like Malcolm McDowell in 'A clockwork orange'. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lady Elanore said:

Can I be a bit controversial and add Avatar 2? The first one was interesting, but the second was just boring, rehash, nonsense. I didn't care about any of the characters (real or not) and gave up about halfway through. I won't be watching the many sequels to come, not unless I'm under the influence and have my eyes forced open like Malcolm McDowell in 'A clockwork orange'. 

And about 1 hour too long ,i stuck with it mainly because of the lovely quality of it ,i think it took too long to come out ,but your right its just a rehash of the first but worse .

17 hours ago, @Lee said:

I was recommending not watching anything ending in 'nado' :D e.g Sharknado

i thought you were repsonding to my previous Zelda comment :D

• Haha 1

On 01/02/2024 at 21:28, Lady Elanore said:

Not controversial, it was very pretty but basically an identical story to the first one but on water, too long and fairly dull.

• Like 3

And he's up to Avatar 7 in planning (https://people.com/james-cameron-reveals-already-has-plans-for-avatar-6-and-7-8558690)

• Haha 4

56 minutes ago, Aspman said:

And he's up to Avatar 7 in planning (https://people.com/james-cameron-reveals-already-has-plans-for-avatar-6-and-7-8558690)

:x

What about    8. Avasharknado?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2