Skoda Felicia facelift Crash switch location

Hey guys! I recently bought a crashed Škoda Felicia (2000) and I can't find any info about the crash switch. I was told the car has it and it can't start without turning it off. Anyone has info about this ? Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

A 1999 vehicle will almost certainly have a fuel pump inertia cut off switch which is what the OP is referring to, I'm sorry that I cannot help with the location other than they are usually placed in protected areas where they are not likely to be set off by doors or bonnet slamming etc, I have known them be in the upturned part of the spare wheel well and above the transmission tunnel.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, J.R. said:

1999 vehicle will almost certainly have a fuel pump inertia cut off switch which is what the OP is referring to,

I have experience with a Seat Toledo that didn't start after a crash. The fuel pump body in the tank has split, disconnecting wires to the pump. I just had to assemble the pump to start it. Guess a similar thing could happen in Felicia?

I'm not aware of any intertia sensors in Felicia without airbag.

@ivcars003 I have never heard about this, in CZ is "nárazový senzor Felicie" but i can not find anything.

I don't know if you have airbag but has this sensor

https://www.nahradnidily-skoda.cz/cz/autodily-skoda/felicia/elektrosoucasti/cidla-snimace/12444-senzor-nu00c1razovu00dd-pro-airbag.html

Since the late 80's any petrol vehicle with an electric fuel pump has had an inertia cut off switch to stop fuel spraying around in an accident, on later airbag equipped vehicles the function is integrated using their sensors.

I may have been wrong in assuming that a 1999 Felicia would have had fuel injection and maybe it has a carburettor and mechanical fuel pump? Or maybe these additional cost protection systems required by legislation did not apply in other countries?

• Groan 1

8 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Since the late 80's any petrol vehicle with an electric fuel pump has had an inertia cut off switch to stop fuel spraying around in an accident, on later airbag equipped vehicles the function is integrated using their sensors.

I may have been wrong in assuming that a 1999 Felicia would have had fuel injection and maybe it has a carburettor and mechanical fuel pump? Or maybe these additional cost protection systems required by legislation did not apply in other countries?

What legislation are you reffering to?The Seat I've been talking about was a 1999 model as well.

I found info about Fabia, it can disconnect the pump, but it works after power reset.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

I may have been wrong in assuming that a 1999 Felicia would have had fuel injection and maybe it has a carburettor

In Greece the carburettor start "dying out" from the 1992, at 1995 the Felicia was sold only with injection system here.

• Like 1

I've never come across an inertial sensor in the fuel pump wiring, so it would have to be integrated with another component, and there is only 3 of these it could be:

1. fuel pump relay (pretty sure this is just a standard relay, but never looked inside one),

2. fuel pump itself (never took one apart so could be possible),

3.ecu (again ECU doesn't control the pump, just the injector(s) so probably not)

I am just referring to petrol injection models.

Edited by R_U_AFA
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, R_U_AFA said:

3.ecu (again ECU doesn't control the pump, just the injector(s) so probably not)

ECU controls the pump relay. The pump only runs when the engine is running, apart from priming before start. Thinking about that:

20 hours ago, J.R. said:

Since the late 80's any petrol vehicle with an electric fuel pump has had an inertia cut off switch to stop fuel spraying around in an accident

Wasn't this requirement only for carburetted engines, that would run the pump any time the ignition was on? 

No my 87 and 88 Sierra XR4x4's, 86 Cavalier GLi and 87 XR3i all had them.

Any injected vehicle with a lift pump is at risk in a collision, a line can be punctured spraying fuel on the exhaust, turbo or spark plugs but still pass enough fuel for the engine to continue running while the driver and passengers are incapacitated.

• Groan 1

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

No my 87 and 88 Sierra XR4x4's, 86 Cavalier GLi and 87 XR3i all had them.

3 of them is Fords and 1 is based on GM platform. Quite different cars from Felicia.

All of them also had carburetted variants. What kind of pump did they use? 

My example was a VW, made in a similar era as Felicia and had similar Siemens injection system. And there was no switch that would prevent starting, unless it reacts to a larger force, than is needed to disassemble the pump itself.

It'd have helped if you said which European regulation required the cutoff switch.

Edited by Papez

Sorry, not playing.

I deliberately did not precede the word legislation with EU.

@ivcars003 I wish you luck, hope you find a solution and that some of the responses may have been helpful to you, regrettably I will not contribute further.

• Groan 1

17 minutes ago, J.R. said:

some of the responses may have been helpful to you, regrettably I will not contribute further

Good. Yours were definitely not the helpful ones. Next time, don't discuss Fords or US legislation in Skoda forums.

Edited by Papez

10 minutes ago, Papez said:

Next time, don't discuss fords in Skoda forums.

No offence but Ford has made some things for Skoda, even the codes from some parts match.

On the other hand at 2019:

https://www.cbsnews.com/detroit/news/ford-vw-announce-a-global-partnership/

DETROIT (CBS Detroit/ AP) - After Tuesday's conference call, Ford Motor Company, and Volkswagen announced they are forming a global alliance to develop medium-sized pickups and commercial vans and explore broader cooperation on future battery-powered and autonomous vehicles.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2020/06/10/Ford-Volkswagen-Sign-Agreements.html

@D.FYLAKTOS what has any of that to do with the fact that Felicia doesn't have a fuel cutoff switch, and @J.R. made up stuff based on their experiences with 80's fords and presented them as facts?

But out of curiosity, I'd like to know which parts in Felicia were supplied by Ford?

Edited by Papez

1) I also said that i haven't never read-heard for such switch plus i mention that in CZ i haven't find such thing.

2) You said that in an older post here plus i have found that some Skoda parts as engine oil filter-brake caliper in e-part stores have a Ford model refference on their cardboard box.

Ok, I'll reiterate what I've said:

Don't discuss Fords in Skoda Felicia forum unless there's a verifiable connection between the two. That is not this case.

1) I never said you didn't

2) if you mean brakes, those were based on Girling licence of a similar model to Ford. But they weren't made by Ford. That's like saying a 10mm bolt was made by Ford for Skoda, because there are same bolts on a Ford.

Edited by Papez

I meant that some Skoda parts (as oil filter) fits to some older Ford models (i still have one, says Felicia and Mondeo i think on the label).

First time i heard about the "similarity" in brakes was before 20+ years in a Brake repair shop.

I wonder @ivcars003 has done any progress?

26 minutes ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

meant that some Skoda parts (as oil filter) fits to some older Ford models (i still have one, says Felicia and Mondeo i think on the label).

That's true. But unless there's a Ford cutoff switch that fits Felicia, it is not relevant information. That was point I wanted to make. @J.R. Didn't want provide any proof that Felicia has such switch, so we can rule out their information as incorrect.

Peace be with you brother, have as many free kicks as you want as my ignored content member list has now doubled.

Edited by J.R.
  • Haha 1

On 14/02/2024 at 11:47, D.FYLAKTOS said:

@ivcars003 I have never heard about this, in CZ is "nárazový senzor Felicie" but i can not find anything.

I don't know if you have airbag but has this sensor

https://www.nahradnidily-skoda.cz/cz/autodily-skoda/felicia/elektrosoucasti/cidla-snimace/12444-senzor-nu00c1razovu00dd-pro-airbag.html

Yes, the car is equiped with driver airbag

6 minutes ago, ivcars003 said:

Yes, the car is equiped with driver airbag

Which part of the car is damaged? Have you checked voltage on the fuel pump?

I found that airbag unit is able to turn off the engine on newer Skoda models (not sure about Felicia), but nothing about blocking of the next start

Edited by Papez