Front caliper nut rubber covers

Whatever the local tyre garage did while I was at work this morning lasted all of 2 miles which begs the question "what did they actually do that made it go away and why didn't it last?" Yes they did the droplink up to (presumably) the correct torque but that's all.

Anyway, for the sake of £17 of their labour (15 minutes) I do feel a bit vindicated now in terms of my own mechanical 'skills'.

Edited by LesCM19

Regarding fitting a new droplink, why does it say in the Haynes manual to only tighten the bolts with the car on the ground? 

I've put the old droplink back on until I can find Nylocs to replace the nuts that came with the new ones that keep coming undone, even with another nut on top. Not normal M8 threads that's for sure.

30 minutes ago, LesCM19 said:

I've put the old droplink back on until I can find Nylocs to replace the nuts that came with the new ones that keep coming undone, even with another nut on top. Not normal M8 threads that's for sure.

A comment that I would make is, there is more than one thread size(pitch) available even where you have metric fasteners, or, including metric fasteners, typically a "fine" and a "coarse" thread, and for some metric sizes, more than just 2 sizes. I'd always measure the thread pitch before fitting a new bolt or nut, though typically I only buy new bolts/nuts from a local VW Group dealership, doing that means that you end up with the correct fixing first time. You can buy metric thread gauges as well as taps and die sets that cover all or most fixing sizes/pitches used on these car.

• Like 1