Camboat water pump and auxiliary belt and tensioners

Hi guys going to look at a Skoda super that has done 14,000 mi and is a 2019. My question here is should I ask for money off when it comes to the cam belt and water pump being replaced? Not sure the longevity of these items vehicle has done. Not a lot of mileage? 2. Should you be looking at changing auxiliary belts and tensioners all, are they something that will last a long time? Thanks guys!

Bobby, I've got to put that in. It's a 1.5 petrol vehicle. Has only done 14, 000 in mint condition but obviously sometimes they can deteriorate even if they're not been used. I'm very unfamiliar with this type of engine. I know on vauxhalls it was every 4 years

4 minutes ago, Diljit said:

Hi guys going to look at a Skoda super that has done 14,000 mi and is a 2019. My question here is should I ask for money off when it comes to the cam belt and water pump being replaced? Not sure the longevity of these items vehicle has done. Not a lot of mileage? 2. Should you be looking at changing auxiliary belts and tensioners all, are they something that will last a long time? Thanks guys! I've forgot to mention it's a 1.5 petrol

4 minutes ago, Diljit said:

Hi guys going to look at a Skoda super that has done 14,000 mi and is a 2019. My question here is should I ask for money off when it comes to the cam belt and water pump being replaced? Not sure the longevity of these items vehicle has done. Not a lot of mileage? 2. Should you be looking at changing auxiliary belts and tensioners all, are they something that will last a long time? Thanks guys!

I forgot to mention it's a 1.5 petrol

31 minutes ago, Diljit said:

Hi guys going to look at a Skoda super that has done 14,000 mi and is a 2019. My question here is should I ask for money off when it comes to the cam belt and water pump being replaced?

Not if the car is reasonably priced, expecting the seller to fund your future maintenance might result in you being shown the door if they are someone like me, much better (in my view) to say "you are asking X, I will offer you Y"

• Thanks 1

Both cambelt and water pump are now officially lifetime items.

Last year, VAG formally announced, across all brands, the end of the 4/5 year cambelt scam.

For the 1.5 tsi engines, inspection is recommended at 15 years / 180,000 miles.

So not a bargaining point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is excellent news. Thank you for the input. I understand then it was just a rip off Vauxhall used to do it every 4 5 years peace of mind! Thank you for the import. Most helpful

Always have trouble on replies. Anyway, give it another go. Thank you for the input. So you guys are reckoning it's a bit of a scam to do it 4 or 5 years but this is a great bitter news. Probably won't hang on now if a car drives ok. Thank you for the input. Let's all by get this right now

5 hours ago, xman said:

Both cambelt and water pump are now officially lifetime items.

Last year, VAG formally announced, across all brands, the end of the 4/5 year cambelt scam.

For the 1.5 tsi engines, inspection is recommended at 15 years / 180,000 miles.

So not a bargaining point.

Lifetime, really? Not that I don’t believe you but have you got anything on that? I personally thought it got moved from 4/5 years to more like every 100K miles

Sounds madness for a belt, and not to mention the water pump 

1 minute ago, numskull said:

I’d still have it changed at 60k. 

1 minute ago, numskull said:

Let's help. I'm doing this right. Thanks for the input. Exactly what I was thinking. Probably less. I would be only doing 4,500 miles a year. Isn't it amazing how we have been ripped off over the years but yes annual inspection. Thanks buddy

7 hours ago, J.R. said:

Not if the car is reasonably priced, expecting the seller to fund your future maintenance might result in you being shown the door if they are someone like me, much better (in my view) to say "you are asking X, I will offer you Y"

Thank you for the input

Publicbosed up my response but thanks for the input. On what you think I would probably do the same but visually inspected once a year as I will be only doing 4  .5,000 miles a year. Obviously technology has got better over the years

47 minutes ago, numskull said:

£1100 allegedly requires very special and expensive tooling and much longer time to complete on the 1.5tsi

Edited by xman

Jesus Christ, am I seeing that right? It's going to cost $1,100 just to do a camboat and water pump because there's a special tool that is outrageous. Good job. They've got a few years on them before they go. Wouldn't be a big problem. My son is a mechanic but what I f****** rip off

• Groan 1

Its UK £1,100 just for the cambelt change, you need to appreciate whats involved.

Good job its not actually required as the 1.5tsi cambelt is considered a lifetime part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, xman said:

£1100 allegedly requires very special and expensive tooling and much longer time to complete on the 1.5tsi

£1,100 would seem about right given the work. I think the replacement waterpump on the 280 was about that much. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, xman said:

Good job its not actually required as the 1.5tsi cambelt is considered a lifetime part.

Yeah, of course it is…. until it goes “ping”! 

• Thanks 1

The actual costs or quotes were from £750 - £1,250, and even as low as £550 to those that had a price from Dealerships and the service desk not knowing it was a 6 hour plus job.   The member said they honoured that price of £550.

The £729 first posted about in the General Maintenance section was at Independents using not OEM parts.   & some Quotes were for 1.5 TSI and not 1.5 TSI ACT,s.  

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/510175-karoq-cam-belt-change-start-saving-now

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/507544-cambelt-for-15-tsi-in-east-kent

575794279_Screenshot2023-03-1822_35_35.jpg.f1eafd544592c6770c8a17f54f93155c.jpg.6eaa9972ff8192f71328afb8002892f6.jpg

959813611_Screenshot2023-03-0510_34_49.png.85bef5569b66a2b4526c506c3bbe7ad1.png

Edited by Rooted
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Diljit said:

On what you think I would probably do the same but visually inspected once a year as I will be only doing 4  .5,000 miles a year. 

To do a proper visual inspection requires you to turn the engine over 2 full rotations.  The 1.5 might be different due to the required tooling but usually it's cost prohibitive to just inspect.  You may as well change it by the time you've looked at the whole belt.  Most garages I suspect will just open the cover up and look at the small section they can see.  That's not a visual inspection as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Afaik there are no reports on Briskoda or anywhere else of cambelt failure on EA211 engines. The only issue I recall are a batch of early 1.0tsi engines where bolts in the top pulley cam phasers came loose and allowed oil to leak out. Even then I think the cambelts survived. Removing the top timing cover would pick that up.

The novel oval/tri-oval CTC crank pulley does a good job of reducing repetitive torsional tension issues. The cambelt is wide, uses latest material technology and doesn't drive other things directly, the water pump being located/ driven at the opposite end of the camshaft.

Screenshot_20240214-185018-563.thumb.png.9f5ddf760108530e49c97444bc59c35e.png

Screenshot_20240215-142546-429.thumb.png.38b16d5f8d6b2857fcf2465fc404fe3e.png

Pages 38 - 43 in the following document explains the requirement for extreme precise cam timing on the 1.5tsi

821223.pdf

Edited by xman
  • Like 1