2021 Kodiaq RS - Towbar

So called back Skoda today, spoke to them about how the trailer hitch prepartion, cooling upgrades etc have already been done on my car.

They advised that all Australian delivered Kodiaq's have this as standard. So the price to install a tow bar from them is still $2600 Aussie. He advised that wouild include the tow bar itself, the control module and wiring. I'm dubious though, it appears the control module (which is an expensive part https://australiatowbars.com.au/audi-a3-8v-vw-golf-7-skoda-octavia-iii-tow-bar-13-pin-wiring-kit-led-oem-305407300113-westfalia-genuine.html) looks to be part of the Trailer hitch preparation kit already, or maybe its not. 

Have contacted another VW/Skoda service center to see what they say.

2 hours ago, nomisg said:

So called back Skoda today, spoke to them about how the trailer hitch prepartion, cooling upgrades etc have already been done on my car.

They advised that all Australian delivered Kodiaq's have this as standard. So the price to install a tow bar from them is still $2600 Aussie. He advised that wouild include the tow bar itself, the control module and wiring. I'm dubious though, it appears the control module (which is an expensive part https://australiatowbars.com.au/audi-a3-8v-vw-golf-7-skoda-octavia-iii-tow-bar-13-pin-wiring-kit-led-oem-305407300113-westfalia-genuine.html) looks to be part of the Trailer hitch preparation kit already, or maybe its not. 

Have contacted another VW/Skoda service center to see what they say.

The module won’t be a part of it, all that will be there is 2/3 connectors with no connection.

To complete it you’ll need 

Towbar 

wiring from Towbar to module

module

switch to release Towbar 

switch mounting (depending on 5/7 seats)

coding with SVM code 

All the other bits like larger fan and radiator would have all been fitted. 

that seems extremely expensive! But I suppose prices are different over there 

• Like 2

Spoke to other VW/Skoda service center and they also quoted me $2600. He seamed embarassed at how expensive it was. Spoke to the tow bar specilist and said he could wire/install the offical module/wiring if I obtain it at no additonal install cost. Also familair with coding them in if needed, says its a mixed bag. Sometimes just work straight away, sometimes need some coding. 

So found this on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B019IPYWQA/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Part number checks out, but the images don't. Lets see what arrives in the mail. Around $250 delivered vs closer to $600 locally. 

Crossing fingers, but my total price will be around $1400 now, still much better than $2600 through Skoda. 

Edited by nomisg
  • Like 1

So went into the towbar shop today to order in the actual towbar, which was going to be a:

Brink SKU BR-633500 https://brink.eu/en-gb/search-results/ about $750 Aussie and $360 for the install. 

But at the 11th hour they checked the specs and it says "not for RS". Which has me confused, it can fit a sportsline but not an RS? The rear spoilers are largely the same. 

They found me another one, but it is almost double the price and can't see how this would differ from the Brink version. https://etowbars.com/au/Towbars/Skoda/Skoda-Kodiaq-Towbars-Australia/Skoda-Kodiaq-RS-Invisible-Towbar-Oris

skoda brink.png

Hi mate

Got your message, but thought I would reply here for people searching the thread in the future.  I've swapped the car now, but had 4 years (2019 to 2023) with the retro fit towbar and everything worked fine for the whole period.  Around once a month from April to September I would use it to tow my racecar on a trailer to competitions - overall weight of trailer and racecar was probably 950kgs (trailer around 350kgs, racecar 600 kgs  - a Caterham so its small and light).  Car was also packed with racing stuff - spare wheels and tyres, tools, spare parts for racecar etc etc. I had a couple of race meetings where the temp was 30C plus during the day and the car's cooling never struggled when towing there or back.

The alarm going off when you detached the trailer electrics with the car was locked and alarm primed only worked intermittently, but the rest of the electrics like the stability programme etc worked well.  Never had any issues with the operation of the towbar either. 

I remember that I had to specify an RS specifically however when getting it fitted as the fitting to the crash structure was specific to the RS as you are finding.  Also the exhaust was different with the RS, so the specific part was important  I don't think that it cost any more, just needed to make sure it was the right one.  Same with the wiring harness, but my car didn't have the prep so the guy had to take the harness all the way around the car into the bit behind the glove box.  I'd hope with your factory prep the wiring would be present at the back of the car already.

I still have the crash structure bar that was taken off the car to replace with the one for the towbar in my garage if a pic of it would help?

Good luck with it :)

Thanks for your response and taking your time to share with myself and others. What type of race car? 

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean "fitting to the crash structure", its different to say a sportline? E.g. the dimensions of the tow bar itself are actually different. As I can see RS towbars, also fit other variants in the range. So I'm getting a little confused. 

I was aware the exhaust was different, but when I look at the below picture, unsure how it would have any impact on a towbar. 

skoda rear.png

Before you responded, I thought it could have something to do with the virtual pedal/boot release, which is standard on the RS. As some towbars also exlcuded Kodiaqs with the virtual pedal/boot release. 

If that was the case, I'd probably just disconnect it, never seams to work anyway. 

4 hours ago, nomisg said:

Before you responded, I thought it could have something to do with the virtual pedal/boot release, which is standard on the RS. As some towbars also exlcuded Kodiaqs with the virtual pedal/boot release. 

If that was the case, I'd probably just disconnect it, never seams to work anyway. 

Just a guess, but RS has a fake sound activator on the left behind the rear bumber and all the fuzz could be caused by this.

Edited by linni
  • Like 1

Was chatting to a user in a Australian FB group whom said they also had issues, namely for them, the adblue tank is located in the rear bumper. 

The vRS does have a different set-up in the area of the towbar.

As linni mentioned, here are some images of the sound actuator…

Isn’t the battery in the boot on the vRS?