Can't get the cabin air filter replaced, Can't locate nor remove it

kvndgr8

Hello, 

I took my citigo 2019 1.0 mpi to an indipendent mechanic for full service, he couldn't replace the cabin air filter though he purchased a replacement, he tried different ways but couldn't open the cabin filter as it was locked too tight or was something else. We looked at youtube videos and tried it but the locking mechanism wasn't there in my model as of the old ones where a simple clip would let the cabin filter slide out. Mechanic told me he couldn't open the cabin filter as he couldn't find any mechanism to open it, only way possible is to completely dismantle the glove box and compressor system screws behind the glove box to see what is inside. Could anyone have an idea how to replace the cabin filter in skoda citigo 2019 june model ? I tried myself couldn't figure it out. I stopped trying as I am afraid if i push too much something would break off. Please help. Pictures under my glove box compartment is attached.20240216_111228.thumb.jpg.c88e62e4c405e4e39f3c095a3ff91f46.jpg

20240216_111235.jpg

Is the marked up a blanking plate with capnuts?

If you don't have air-con you don't have a cabin filter according to Mann. - https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/vehicle/MANN-FILTER Katalog Europa/Vehicles/CARS + TRANSPORTERS/SKODA/Citigo (NF1)

mmm.jpg.7d47dc8e22d6c9297bdef02c6dae3e37.jpg

But I do have an air con but not the automatic/climatronic its a manual a/c hot and cold air. I believe all skoda cars have AC. Picture is attached of my AC switcher.

20240217_120335.jpg

That looks like a simple cabin heating and ventilation system - not one with AC.

Edited by Warrior193
added information
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

That looks like a simple cabin heating system - not one with AC.

Is it? I thought it was AC. Okay maybe that is why I don't have cabin filter. So that means air blowing in will be dirty and smelly right without the cabin filter? But how will it cool without AC system I understand heating it has setting for cold air too. I'm confused.

1 hour ago, kvndgr8 said:

So that means air blowing in will be dirty and smelly right without the cabin filter?

The same air that you breathe when outside of the vehicle.

1 hour ago, kvndgr8 said:

I understand heating it has setting for cold air too. I'm confused.

Coldest setting is ambient air temperature.

The above is on the basis that you do not have aircon, I do not have Climatronic but the basic Climatic system and also aircon, my heater controls are like yours but I have an additional AC on/off button which I don't see in your photograph.

• Like 2

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.73f8546efa2b63fc9c25e4e33e2f1735.jpg

Above an image from the internet, it says it's for a Citigo.

2 hours ago, kvndgr8 said:

So that means air blowing in will be dirty and smelly right without the cabin filter?

Have you noticed that yet, if not don't worry about it.  All modern cars now all have oversized wheels and wider tyres so more rubber debris in the air and down the drains, more diesel cars after the 1990s con so more crap from their exhausts than previously and of course more cars on the roads overall, many doing very sort distant journeys where they don't fully warm so running well below full efficiency and cleanliness.  But if you've not noticed anything yet then don't worry about it.

2 hours ago, kvndgr8 said:

But how will it cool without AC system I understand heating it has setting for cold air too. I'm confused.

The air-con is useful for cooling a hot cabin in summer and clearing condensation caused by various reasons,  You must be young, it's not that far back that small cars didn't have air-con and going back a bit you'd have to have a luxury car to have it or it be on the list of options.

We survived many decades without air-con in summers and winters, it is possible, hotter now for many reasons and cars have to be locked and sealed up, and with better sealing, so hold more cabin heat and for longer, also even a Citigo is a  bigger car with probably(?) more glass on it than earlier small cars so possibly gets more solar gain (heat from the sun) and more sealed so holds the heat in - but you can overcome most/some of this with a little effort.  If you need advice on such things just ask.

Normally setting the heater to cold (and keeping the recirculation off) will get cold or cooler air from outside into the cabin, if need the output to the cabin can be speeded up and assisted by turning the blower on to 1, 2, 3 or 4. 

If you need to know more about operating your heating/cooling system you (and your mechanic, he's the one I worry about) then just read the Owner's Manual for your car for this and other stuff you need to know about your car, free Skoda pdf download free here. -  https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Models 

Again, if you read and when required refer to the Owner's Manual you'll learn and know a lot about your car and how to maintain and drive it and could save yourself lots of time, hassle and money by sometimes avoiding garages and mechanics.  A lot of servicing, maintenance and repairs just boil down to clean and lubricate (including electronics and computers), some/much of it is so simple even I can do it, so you could if you wanted, including most (possibly all) of the service your mechanic might have done.

Have you got a list of what was done in the recent service as most services are far from full for the whole car and many services are no more or little more than a change of engine oil change and (hopefully) engine oil filter and a look around for more chargeable work.  There's a lot more to a car than just the engine oil, the engine isn't the most important thing, brakes, steering and suspension (all three include tyres), then safety electrics (lights, horn, blower, wipers perhaps) and glass (windows and mirrors) - see and be seen.

Start new threads if you want or need to know about other stuff and as you've seen posters here will help you.

HTH.

Edited by nta16
typos
  • Like 1

Okay, thanks for everyone that contributed to my post. That solves my question. So my car doesn't have an A/C . My mechanic is an old man he already brought the cabin filter for replacement on full service at 60000 km mark. He changed oil, oil filter, spark plug, air filter did some checks under the hood and tyres and was about to change cabin filter which i didn't have.  Thanks for the solution. I never knew till now I didnt it have an AC. Even my mechanic said I had a cabin filter. Maybe he is servicing a citigo for the first time.

• Thanks 1

Welcome.

Sorry i know nothing but if really there is no Cabin / Pollen filter regardless of AC or no AC that is really really crap from Skoda / VW Group.

Hopefully someone that knows about Citigo without AC in not the UK will be along. 

• Like 2

A Citigo / UP cabin filter flap/cover looks like this:-

The LHS of this photo is towards the front of the car and the RHS is just behind the bottom of the glovebox looking up from the passenger footwell.

IMG_20240217_162221088CP.thumb.jpg.5b42a90d91af75190e6b45597760a38b.jpg

Note, your car also doesn't have the fresh air / recycle lever like below.

IMG_20240217_162142265CP.thumb.jpg.58e91847086481397e2aee813f54614e.jpg

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 2

Obviously the units vary, I was guessing the 'R' button on kvndgr8's was for recirculate but I could well be wrong, the appropriate Owner's Manual for the car will explain controls and function of the system.

llll.thumb.jpg.dd2baaaeb73717e5760b08712fb7adac.jpg

AGFalco's photo of the filter housing with releasing clip to the left backs up the photo I've taken from the Mann filter 'Mounting Instruction' attached.

CU_CUK_FP 26 006.pdf

njnj.jpg.7d1e1b302fbadc218ac13ac807649af4.jpg

Edited by nta16

1 hour ago, nta16 said:

Obviously the units vary, I was guessing the 'R' button on kvndgr8's was for recirculate but I could well be wrong, the appropriate Owner's Manual for the car will explain controls and function of the system.

AGFalco's photo of the filter housing with releasing clip to the left backs up the photo I've taken from the Mann filter 'Mounting Instruction' attached.

CU_CUK_FP 26 006.pdf 626.95 kB · 1 download

No that is not for air recirculate. It's the auto start button for city traffic it can be turned on or off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The parts diagram of the interior ventilation system for a non-A/C equipped Citigo of this year does not show a cabin/pollen filter, so I would not expect there to be one.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nta16 said:

CU_CUK_FP 26 006.pdf 626.95 kB · 1 download

That button is for automatic idle stop.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kvndgr8 said:

No that is not for air recirculate. It's the auto start button for city traffic it can be turned on or off.

😄  Fair enough.  😄  I misread the 'A' as 'R'.  😄

The start/stop isn't just for city traffic it's for any stop to reduce emissions, subject to the computer programs being happy it can be deployed, when these conditions have been mostly meet but it still doesn't deploy it can be that the 12v battery is i n a low state of charge.

Now being able to access a 11/2018 Owner's Manual via said site it's somewhat dispiriting to read from it - "The system function depends on many factors.  Some of them are down to the driver, the others are systemic and can neither be influenced nor identified" -  doesn't say a lot about the computer programing!  😄

The VWSkoda way with heating/cooling controls and their settings is different to what I'm used to (and annoying to me).

Seems like perhaps(?) kvndgr8's car also might not have "Recirculated air mode", from 11/2018 Owner's Manual.

njnn.jpg.edd976038e6218fc2874c4dc2b39a22a.jpg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, nta16 said:

😄  Fair enough.  😄  I misread the 'A' as 'R'.  😄

The start/stop isn't just for city traffic it's for any stop to reduce emissions, subject to the computer programs being happy it can be deployed, when these conditions have been mostly meet but it still doesn't deploy it can be that the 12v battery is i n a low state of charge.

Now being able to access a 11/2018 Owner's Manual via said site it's somewhat dispiriting to read from it - "The system function depends on many factors.  Some of them are down to the driver, the others are systemic and can neither be influenced nor identified" -  doesn't say a lot about the computer programing!  😄

The VWSkoda way with heating/cooling controls and their settings is different to what I'm used to (and annoying to me).

Seems like perhaps(?) kvndgr8's car also might not have "Recirculated air mode", from 11/2018 Owner's Manual.

njnn.jpg.edd976038e6218fc2874c4dc2b39a22a.jpg

It's funny that the skoda manual i got states it as air conditioning. But it's not. And yes I don't have air recirculation option nor heated seats, only auto stop/start and a heater .

46 minutes ago, kvndgr8 said:

It's funny that the skoda manual i got states it as air conditioning. But it's not. And yes I don't have air recirculation option nor heated seats, only auto stop/start and a heater .

The VWSkoda manuals are far from perfect, I think they might have been written by a German student engineer then translated to Chinese and then from Chinese to English and VW likes to keep somethings secret that other manufacturers tell you about.  To be fair, the VW Owner's Manuals have at least better illustrations than some in my neighbour's new Ren-No! (Nissan) Owner's Manual.  

I don't know if it's just that unit in your car or whether Ireland being part of Europe (which UK apparently isn't) whether you might get variation(s) on your car that we don't see in the UK.

Being old I'm used to manual air-con, if you had a saloon it might be a 4/60 system, you wound (hand-cranked) 4 windows down and drove at 60mph.  😁