1.5 Tsi Power Cutting Out

Missph

On 20/02/2024 at 21:50, pinkpanther said:

Figured I'd revisit E5 and have filled up with Tesco Momentum 99 and will report back:thumbup:

A few 100 miles on E5, but no improvement sadly:sadsmile:

I did however come across this option and may well try it out: https://progressiveparts.com/product/iotuning-iopedal-remote-control-pedal-box-all-vehicles-security-mode#tab-vehicle_fitment

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, pinkpanther said:

I did however come across this option and may well try it out: https://progressiveparts.com/product/iotuning-iopedal-remote-control-pedal-box-all-vehicles-security-mode#tab-vehicle_fitment

That’s a shame re the E5.
Report back please if you do give it a go. 

• Like 1

On 17/02/2024 at 11:06, xman said:

This thread is interesting in that it brings back memories of the many problems reported with the 1.5tsi in it's early days. Strange random elevated idle speeds (seen that myself), kangarooing, stalling, poor and/or delayed pickup when pulling away etc

I thought all this had been resolved by now especially as the latest 1.5tsi engines are apparently now a generation 2 iteration, VAG quietly fixing things again without admitting the earlier problems.

Which brings to mind recent discussions about why cambelt changes are so expensive on this particular engine. It turns out that because the 1.5tsi uses a Miller combustion cycle (as opposed to the conventional Otto cycle) it is very sensitive to valve timing. This is measured during the factory build and setup in the factory with laser etched codes on the cylinder head showing its calibration settings which must be used if any work on the cam drive is carried out.

A detailed explanation can be found in the following document, pages 38 onwards.

821223.pdf 2.43 MB · 4 downloads

Even with tight production tolerances, angle deviations can happen in the camshaft housing and crankshaft drive. However, when calculating cylinder fill rates,  
precise valve control timing is needed, especially with the 1.5L engine that uses the Miller combustion process. The time that the intake valves close has a very  
large influence on the cylinder filling. The piston speed is still very high with early closing, while it is relatively “slow” with closing of the intake valves near  
bottom dead center. The valve control times are precisely measured during production and stored in the ECM

I suspect some engines have not made the grade and/or not been set up correctly in the factory, or somehow the timings are out or have drifted off.

Vag will never admit it though

Miller Cycle. That's a new one on me ;o)

Anyways interesting comment on the Wiki page about it:

Typically, this loss of charge air would result in a loss of power. However, in the Miller cycle, this is compensated for by the use of a supercharger. The supercharger typically will need to be of the positive-displacement (Roots or screw) type due to its ability to produce boost at relatively low engine speeds. Otherwise, low-speed power will suffer. Alternatively, a turbocharger can be used for greater efficiency, if low-speed operation is not required, or supplemented with electric motors.

I can confirm this has happened to me also, (23 MY 1.5 TSI Manual) it’s not often and not something I can replicate to demonstrate to the dealer which is why I haven’t bothered taking it back, yet…

As soon as I start the car I switch off the stop/start function as that drives me mad.

It happened yesterday when exited the motorway, came to a gradual stop at the traffic lights on the slip road, clutch depressed before coming to a complete stop but it still fizzled out once stopped.

I’ve also found myself (almost subconsciously) giving the throttle a little blip before pulling away from stationary to avoid the kangaroo effect, so it would seem this latest iteration of the engine still suffers from some degree from the well documented kangaroo issue.

20 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

I also wondered if altering the Throttle mapping (? with OBD11) might improve the car's driving dynamics?

I recall Carista had this option for my previous Yeti,  although this option doesn't appear for the Karoq unfortunately. 

On 22/02/2024 at 23:50, pinkpanther said:

Just got through the first tank of E5 with no noticeable improvement in stall resistance,  although as the last tank was Tesco Momentum 99 I'm giving a tank of Shell V-Power E5 a go - @£1.649/litre 😬

Will report back 

Edited by pinkpanther
  • Like 1

On 27/02/2024 at 21:29, pinkpanther said:

Just got through the first tank of E5 with no noticeable improvement in stall resistance,  although as the last tank was Tesco Momentum 99 I'm giving a tank of Shell V-Power E5 a go - @£1.649/litre 😬

Will report back 

150 miles in on Shell V-Power E5 and no noticeable change in stalling characteristics. 

• Crying 1

On 29/02/2024 at 09:41, pinkpanther said:

150 miles in on Shell V-Power E5 and no noticeable change in stalling characteristics. 

Nearly at the end of a tank of Shell V-Power E5 and no appreciable difference in resistance to stalling,  performance or economy😕

Next step will be to consider a pedal box (or a different car altogether!)

Edited by pinkpanther
  • Crying 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have the same problem with my 23 plate Skoda Karoq cutting out when slowing down approaching junctions/Roundabouts with start stop enabled and disabled and I am still moving when this happens,it seems  to be a general fault with the 1.5 tsi manual I have found out on other forums 

Has anyone contacted Skoda an got any satisfactory replies.

Ken2

On 16/02/2024 at 18:15, Missph said:

Evening, just looking to see if anyone is experiencing the same issue as me with my Karoq 1.5 Tsi (73 plate)….

So the car has perhaps half a dozen times or more cut out completely when slowing down, no stall / kangaroo or otherwise, power simply gone, resulting in me having to restart the car when in a rolling motion. Very unnerving especially with traffic approaching. I’ve tried to recreate the event on quiet roads with no success so I’ve no idea what action causes this. I had thought it was something I was doing but it’s since happened to my husband, and he’s only perhaps driven the car twice. 

Before I head to Skoda and demand they look at the car, has anyone had the same? 

Thanks! 

Hi,

Mine does the same it seems they all do it, very scary at times when cutting out on busy junctions and roundabouts.

Not contacted Skoda yet but think I will soon, also tried higher octane fuel but no different 

11 hours ago, ken2 said:

Hi,

Mine does the same it seems they all do it, very scary at times when cutting out on busy junctions and roundabouts.

Not contacted Skoda yet but think I will soon, also tried higher octane fuel but no different 

Ours never has ... and we use E10 whenever possible 

Edited by sussamb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sussamb said:

Ours never has ... and we use E10 whenever possible 

I tried E10 also but still cut out on occasions.

• Confused 1

E10 in UK    Unleaded petrol with up to 10% Bio-ethanol.   Maybe much less.  95 ron minimum.

E5 in the UK might have up to 5% Bto-ethanol. Might have 0% bio-ethanol.  97 ron min at some sellers & 99 ron at others. 

The amount of Bio-ethanol might not just be at different brands, but in different regions of the UK.

Trying various is simple, but at least try and know what you are buying.   And you petrol engine should run just fine on 95 ron E10 so any Dealership staff saying wrong fuel do not use supermarket stuff is just a Rodney.

E5 might help but first have car running correctly.

1384336435_Screenshot2022-01-3014_03_59.jpg.d43b66a38bf086423e31cbd1b02722b8.jpg.e2f0c7222b81e04ead500c24f6b29782.jpg

Screenshot2024-03-3017_53_33.webp

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, ken2 said:

Hi, I have the same problem with my 23 plate Skoda Karoq cutting out when slowing down approaching junctions/Roundabouts with start stop enabled and disabled and I am still moving when this happens,it seems  to be a general fault with the 1.5 tsi manual I have found out on other forums 

Has anyone contacted Skoda an got any satisfactory replies.

Ken2

Mine has exhibited this 'characteristic' right from day one. 

It's had considerable input from the supplying main dealer for other mechanical issues, although nothing forthcoming regarding it's tendency to stall. 

It certainly drives better on E5, although this did not improve it stalling sadly. 

The older 1.4 TSi is a considerably better partner for the manual gearbox in my view. 

I now regret not going for an Auto😒

6 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

Mine has exhibited this 'characteristic' right from day one. 

It's had considerable input from the supplying main dealer for other mechanical issues, although nothing forthcoming regarding it's tendency to stall. 

It certainly drives better on E5, although this did not improve it stalling sadly. 

The older 1.4 TSi is a considerably better partner for the manual gearbox in my view. 

I now regret not going for an Auto😒

yep, mines still the same. Like you regret not buying the DSG. I don’t have the time or will power to get involve with the dealers or Skoda HQ to sort it, looking at other forums it is a VW wide issue with this engine and the manual gear box. I was hoping the car would be a long term keeper but now will probably just hand back at the end of the PCP contract. All this said if anyone does raise it with Skoda and makes some progress I’d be very interested to know the outcome.

• Like 1

I’ve experienced this a few times on my Octavia mark 4, 1.5tsi. Last time was about a month ago, car lost all power as I approached a roundabout. Instant chaos behind me, managed to get it moving again but very slowly, then it seemed to wake up and then same thing again within a minute! Engine seemed to be on, definitely not stop start engaging, a very dangerous situation, which could easily have caused an accident. Also had this with my mark 3 Octavia with the same engine.

Hi AllanDJ,

Yes this is very scary, I have had the same situations. 

Sometimes I think it has resolved itself and not cut out for weeks then it happens again always on a extremely busy roundabout.

It seems all 1.5 tsi Evo engines do it with Seat and VW.

I bought this car for the size of the boot and eased of folding or removing for my wife's wheelchair and Rollator.

Had less than a year from new not sure if I will keep much longer.

3 hours ago, ken2 said:

It seems all 1.5 tsi Evo engines do it with Seat and VW.

Evo 2 now. Is this the reason?

@ken2  The issue is that 'They do not all do it',  only the ones that do do.

So no point going with the same old that Skoda Dealership Staff might spout 'They all do that', because if they do the DfT / DVSA better get VW Group doing a safety critical recall.

& resolve the fault as they had to with the 'Lack of torque recall'. 

The other Dealership rubbish from some is 'Never heard of that before',  so be sure your issue is logged and with Skoda / VW UK, and with DVSA. 

There are contacts for them when there are safety concerns.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 20.15.33.png

Screenshot 2024-04-20 20.16.03.png

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

Hi All,

I have had the same issue about 8 times now between myself and my wife. The car (karoq 22') is with skoda for the last week and they couldn't find any fault or anything on the memory. I have refused to keep this car and they are going to sort another car and if the deal isn't good enough I'll be after a full refund! This is incredibly dangerous, we've had 2 near misses from this already and I've lost all faith in the karoq. Same as its a lovely car but can't chance it. Will update on the outcome from Skoda.

Hi Avengers,

Yes please keep me informed, did you have the car from new.

I contacted Skoda a few months ago to have it looked at but unfortunately had to cancel due to personal reasons, I must ring again and get it looked at.

Ken2

11 hours ago, Avengers said:

Hi All,

I have had the same issue about 8 times now between myself and my wife. The car (karoq 22') is with skoda for the last week and they couldn't find any fault or anything on the memory. I have refused to keep this car and they are going to sort another car and if the deal isn't good enough I'll be after a full refund! This is incredibly dangerous, we've had 2 near misses from this already and I've lost all faith in the karoq. Same as its a lovely car but can't chance it. Will update on the outcome from Skoda.

Hi Avengers, I have contacted Skoda whee I live and got it booked in for the end of May, they are going to keep it for a few days.🤞