Is my garage lying to me ?

Some times if there is no power to the car during a battery change the car can 'forget' things.

As you know even with the ignition off the Bolero system is still powered.

Thanks. AG Falco

Mmmm.......I assume when the battery was reconnected & energy was flowing the computer carried on without a break.  

Do you know if Skoda man was right when he said the system would soon catch up with realising there was a new battery in situ ?    I thought it would instantly know the Yuasa was there.  With start/stop working this evening it's been 4 days since you registered the Yuasa........as I say, I was expecting instant reaction.    

I suppose I'm used to installing something in a computer & it works right away.  Vehicles adjust in a different time scale it seems  ??      

Stop start doesn't work today & I see a circled A with an oblique through it.  Also the cd player still wants the engine running to save the battery.  The bonging seems more frequent, too.

I'm having the front near-side tyre replaced on Friday afternoon by Fordingbridge Tyre & Battery.   Although the Halfords man said yesterday  the battery was in good condition,  whilst I'm having the tyre replaced I thought I ask them to check this battery for a second opinion. 

Edited by TerenceWallis
clarity

2 hours ago, TerenceWallis said:

Stop start doesn't work today

It won't always work.

After a 12 mile trip home it never works outside my house.

But after 10 miles in the morning it normally works if I stop at some lights. 🥺

Battery was good when I tested it.

Car does need to learn the new battery.

It will try to charge it more than it charged the old one.

Did Skoda do a scan for faults when you were there?

Beginning to think that the Bolero problem is a different one.

Do you know why the Bolero/car bongs?

Thanks. AG Falco

For stop start to be enabled, there are a number of conditions that have to be satisfied first - battery SOC is only one of about 8 parameters that will inhibit idle stop start. 

Can you reveal the other 7 conditions, Warrior  ?

Hi ACF,  As you say, it was good when you tested it, which means the stopstart [SS] should have been working, but wasn't.
It worked for 8 yrs & when it stopped my local garage suggested battery voltage had dropped - the battery would be 8yrs old then.
I assumed since registration on Saturday, SS would restart but it hasn't, except for those 2 episodes.

What I have great difficulty in understanding why it's taking so long for a few things to start working again. SS I can do without but not Bolero.

When I got there on Tuesday, Skodaman cancelled the coding appt. & said the system needs to adjust. However, since the SS false start I emailed Skoda man yesterday and asked if one of their scans will locate faults, then to organise one.

I am chary of wasting dosh on a system that is learning the ropes again if all I have to do wait.
Yes Bolero could easily be a seperate problem but how will I know - who will know ?

The bongs: the vehicle is outside this window in the driveway & I'm sure I heard it recently bong 3 times. I've turned the volume of Bolero down so I don't hear it, but not enough, I hear !  These bongs started with asking for a running motor to save the battery. I'd not heard it before.   

Edited by TerenceWallis
clarity

I'm not sure if I can recall most of them, but - 

- When cabin temperature is not up/down to set point (either heating or A/C) I don't recall what the actual message displays for this one.

- Windscreen may fog.

Are two of them.

I will need to go through past posts to find the rest.

OK.....don't bother to look.  I'm not worried that it doesn't work.  I assumed battery registration would correct it but it would seem not !   Bolero is what I really do want in working order & not this shutting off it's dong now.     

My thanks go to @silver1011 for his advice back in 2016 while I was trying to understand the stop/start system.

S.S. inhibit conditions.

- High power consumption - this one can cover a few different things - from actual high consumption to low SOC or failing battery.

- Battery temperature too high or low.

- Engine coolant temperature lower than 22 deg.C. 

- Too great a difference between cabin temperature and outside.

- Engine speed more than 1200 rpm.

-  Vehicle speed less than 3 KPH since last commanded engine stop.

-  Front wheel angle turned more than approx. 3/4 turn of steering wheel.

- Insufficient hydraulic pressure in braking system.

- Stationary vehicle on excessive gradient.

- Drivers seat belt unfastened, drivers door open, engine hood open.

Plus the usual, clutch, gearbox position for manual box, or equivalent conditions for DSG.   

Edited by Warrior193
correction
  • Like 1

Some I would expect but not others.  However, thank you for this rivetting list.

I have other news:   Bolero played a complete cd side for 61 minutes this afternoon, as it always has.   I shall say no more......except - MORE please !  

• Like 4

With mine if the stop/starts cuts in I can restart the engine by turning the heater fan up to three and putting the AC on.

So having the AC / fan on can stop it working as well.

Thanks. AG Falco

thank goodness I can just turn mine off.....should I need to.  

My fingers are crossed for a well-behaved Bolero tomorrow.  Maybe some learning has taken place at last !

Here is the News:  the Bongs have stopped & the cd player doesn't ask for a running engine. 

It played a disc for an hour yesterday, and again today.  The system has taken from 24/2 to 29/2 to fully adjust to the new battery. 

Thank you everyone for your suggestions & support, & especially to AGFalco for registering the new Yuasa battery last Saturday in Blandford.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TerenceWallis said:

thank goodness I can just turn mine off.

I turn mine off as well.

Hopefully we have got there. Good luck.

Thanks. AG Falco

I had a tyre replaced this afternoon at Fordingbridge T & B where they have never coded a battery & didn't know much about it either.

The dowside was the Goodyear Excellence cost £100 - which is £15 more than I last paid  😞      Keep up the good work.    

Posted (edited)

2/3/24:

I drove 3 miles & stopped in a quiet layby, opened my door & got 6 bongs. 'Not good' I thought but switched the cd player on & was greeted with 'engine on or shut down.'  I tried this 6 times & eventually played 15 mins with the ign. on & key off, but got threats with shutdown.

I drove 2 miles home to collect my new battery cd player & 'phones & 2 miles to a different park area.  I switched Bolero on and got no warning notices & kept going.  It played 2 hour long sides.  Ponder that.
                 I'll organise a Skoda computer scan next week.  This is too hit & miss.

Edited by TerenceWallis
clarity

Today was curtailled by time - my having to return to collect the cd player.  I covered about 7 miles today.   Normally I'd do 2 x 30 mins journeys or longer.  These have been with an aging battery that was eventually 11 yrs old when I started to get the shut off messages.   
Also, now I have a new battery that was coded last Saturday.  It was pronouned VG then and again 3 days ago.  

The problem appears to be battery non-recognition by the system.  My over-arching ? is, how long will the system take to adjust to the new YUASA ?

These warning 'bongs' have not stopped nor the requests to start the engine. The battery was registered on 02/24, 10 days ago.
Can anyone hazard a guess about how long the computer will take to recognise the new battery for Bolero stop it's requests for engine starts ?  

On 28/02/2024 at 19:53, AGFalco said:

Did Skoda do a scan for faults when you were there?

Beginning to think that the Bolero problem is a different one.

On 29/02/2024 at 12:01, TerenceWallis said:

Yes Bolero could easily be a seperate problem but how will I know - who will know ?

Do you want another scan done?

Thanks. AG Falco

It might be worth disconnection the second small wire that attaches to the negative terminal?

Thanks. AG Falco

Hi.   Skoda cancelled the registration appointment as it had been done & suggested the system just needed time to pick up the new battery.  As it's been 10 days now I'm amazed it hasn't already adjusted.  How much longer will it take ?

Yes to another scan if another is likely to pick up faults.   If you want to do it just say date & time & I'll come over.  

I wasn't aware there was a second wire until recently.  I'm not confident about disconnecting anything without guidance.  I've only renewed blown bulbs so far...................

21 hours ago, TerenceWallis said:

Yes to another scan if another is likely to pick up faults.

All we can do is try.

Same time, same place, same day, different week OK?

Thanks. AG Falco

Hi.  Absolutely.   Just tell me which Sat. & I'll be there.

BTW = I checked the wire you mentioned & I see what you mean.  There are two - brown & red in parallel.    I'll attach a photo here with the wire marked in red.    I'm sure I can disconnect it.  I'll have a go tomorrow if this is the one you mean ?

Cheers.

grab_371-Copy.jpg.fa94ab3daed614447107240b51990432.jpg