Is my garage lying to me ?

This post follows one about my cd player wanting the engine on or it will stop - then stops, after working flawlessly for 11 yrs.    It was suggested here the replacement battery hadn't been coded.    I have attached a photo if the new Yuasa battery.

My local garage changed the original 11 yr old start stop Varta for this start stop Yuasa for £220.  However, the cd player is still malfuncting.  I went back today only to be told by  the senior mechanic that this Yuasa battery cannot be coded because it lacks the usual proper numbering & it is not an original Skoda battery.  Only original Skoda batteries can be coded & do I know how much they are ?

I said I don't care - I want a working cd player not one that shuts of & bongs all the time.it.  I suggested they fit the correct battery.  He said I'm stuck with the Yuasa & do I know how much an original Skoda barret will cost ?  

What do folks here have to say about this ?

IMG_5202.JPG

Hello Terence, welcome to the forum. I'm afraid that it's one of two things - either the 'senior mechanic' is incompetent - or he's lying.  Skoda do not manufacture batteries - VAG have them supplied by whoever has the contract, it is the same for tyres. 

All that has to be done is to enter the battery type (AGM in this case) The AH rating (70 in this case) - and a serial number (can be made up, or simply change the last digit of the old serial number) so that the BCM knows that a new battery has been fitted. 

Edited by Warrior193
typo
  • Like 4

A mk2 doesn't need coding as far as I know, they are not that advanced.

Edit- I don't know why you've also spent so much on a start stop battery when a normal one would do.

Edited by Tinbum
  • Like 1

Edit: I removed this lengthy post as later on it's been established its a 2012 Greenline II 1.6Tdi with stop/start and so needs an AGM or EFB battery.

Edited by xman

What CD player does it have? Bolero? A picture would help. The CD unit is coded to the car's ECU as a security feature. Normally there is no problem when disconnecting/reconnecting  a battery, but if its not the original factory fitted CD unit there may be a code mismatch, and then it will demand a code when you turn on.

There may be an issue with the CANBUS losing communication with the CD player so that might be the reason the CD player turns off.

A diagnostic scan for errors might throw some light on the problem

• Like 1

1. Its hard to tell in your picture but i cant see a current monitor on the negative terminal - in which case your car needs a normal lead-acid battery and not this AGM one.

2. An AGM battery can be coded and it doesnt have to be a genuine battery - they clearly have no idea what they are doing

3. What is the timescale for them doing the job? If it is recently, reject it as not fit for purpose and not fixed the issue you paid to be fixed, if they dont play ball, give them (in writing) 14 days to refit the old parts and take the new ones back or take it to the small claims court.

4. What is the warning you talk of, do you have a photo? I assume something like "12v battery low - start engine or infotainment will switch off"

5. Have you got a more zoomed out photo of the battery, i want to see the terminals

6. If the warning is as I said in 4, then the battery needs testing, charge rate, idle voltage, resting voltage all need testing to see if its a car-wide voltage issue, or if it needs to be looked into further for a localised voltage issue such as a poor ground. 

• Like 2

Warrior193 = a third thing occurs, & that is having looked here & the web, I know more about coding & Skoda batteries now, than the so-called mechanic !
Yes, the 2012 Mk2 I bought in 08/2023 so 11yrs old to me, has auto Start/Stop.
I will follow your about coding.

Tinbum = That's what the garage charged me for supply & fit.  Now I am warned.   I've never been overcharged here before but this what their supplier charged them.

xman = The reg doc has 2012 1.6tdi Greenline II, & I bought it 08/2013.  It does have Start/Stop.  Yes - it has Bolero.

I do not intend to use this garage any more & intend to talk with another about moving my custom.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ApertureS said:

1. Its hard to tell in your picture but i cant see a current monitor on the negative terminal - in which case your car needs a normal lead-acid battery and not this AGM one.

I think I can just about see it. This is what it should look like.

zz0201img_0197.jpg

ApertureS = Original was a AGM - see attachment.  An email from Yuasa has just arrived which says "Just get the code from the old battery and change the last couple of characters (so the code is unique). This will be enough to reset the system."  Warrior193 said this previosly in his answer to me.  I will get this done when I find someone with the necessary kit.
The warning I've mentioned.  Zoomed out picture attached.

For xman: Bolero is standard fitment.  I am assuming the shutting off is part of the ECU which will reset when coding has occurred.

Ordinary garages in this part of Dorset are not coding friendly....at least the few I've approached. A VW shop in Salisbury wants £84 to do it....I bet Skoda does too....but they're all too busy in the workshops to call me.   I'll let you all know what happens, when it does.....I may buy the kit & do it myself but WHAT do I buy ?!!  I'll surf the web for info as well........

IMG_5206.JPG

IMG_5208.JPG

IMG_5209.JPG

Bolero warning:    Right now it lasts for 30 seconds then closedown appears for 20 seconds before it closes down.    I came across in a related topic here - the Carista coding tool company.  I gather it comes with software & instructions.  I've asked for a quote for a tool to do the Octavia seeing that VW & Skoda loclly are making such a meal of  what on video takes 10 minutes......my fingers are crossed.  It could be cheaper than the £105 Skoda & £84 VW want........

IMG_5211.JPG

IMG_5212.JPG

Edited by TerenceWallis
clarity
  • Thanks 1

Likely that the failure by your 'mechanic' to correctly adapt (code) your new battery when it was fitted has resulted in it being undercharged by the vehicles smart charging system - I'd strongly suggest getting it properly charged on an external charger (battery can stay connected in car) then getting a condition test done on it - hopefully, your new battery hasn't suffered damage. If it has, tell your (now) ex. garage you intend to make a warranty claim. 

Edited by Warrior193
added information
  • Like 1

If you only had the battery changed recently, have you driven far since.

It is possible the battery wasn't fully charged before install,

With the cold and dark nights it might have not charged up in the car yet either.

Is the stop/start now working.

might just need a good run?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TerenceWallis said:

Ordinary garages in this part of Dorset are not coding friendly

Where in Dorset are you?

Thanks AG Falco

From N Dorset.

The problem, Warrior, is not being coded at all.  As for damage, I'll have to get this assessed.

I have spoken with a coding guru this morning at the Skoda dealer in Bournemouth who knew all about coding.  He has arranged to have the coding done in 6 days on the 27th at 14.00.  He quoted £70, which I readily agreed to. 

1 hour ago, TerenceWallis said:

The problem, Warrior, is not being coded at all.  As for damage, I'll have to get this assessed.

I have spoken with a coding guru this morning at the Skoda dealer in Bournemouth who knew all about coding.  He has arranged to have the coding done in 6 days on the 27th at 14.00.  He quoted £70, which I readily agreed to. 

That's a little steep for max. 5-10 mins work! - but it really needs doing. I assume that you haven't been able to find any Briskoda members with VCDS near you? 

£70 - total rip off

You may find this coding doesn't fix your problem.

IMO either the newly fitted battery is flat, faulty or there is a wiring issue somewhere.

What's needed simply is a voltmeter and to measure battery voltage, stood, then with engine running and repeat at the supply to Columbus unit. 12v aux socket might be useful too.

Afaik if you disconnect the current sensor (located on the negative battery terminal) then the alternator will revert to standard non smart charging. So you could try running like that and seeing if the CD player issue is fixed.

Of course, it could be the Columbus Unit is faulty or even the alternator.

A cheap OBD scanner is a useful tool to have.

1 hour ago, xman said:

£70 - total rip off

You may find this coding doesn't fix your problem.

IMO either the newly fitted battery is flat, faulty or there is a wiring issue somewhere.

What's needed simply is a voltmeter and to measure battery voltage, stood, then with engine running and repeat at the supply to Columbus unit. 12v aux socket might be useful too.

Afaik if you disconnect the current sensor (located on the negative battery terminal) then the alternator will revert to standard non smart charging. So you could try running like that and seeing if the CD player issue is fixed.

Of course, it could be the Columbus Unit is faulty or even the alternator.

A cheap OBD scanner is a useful tool to have.

The system works off voltage and SoC, so even if voltage is good, if the values haven’t been reset and it still thinks there is a low state of charge it will flag it up.

• Like 1

The car will get an all-over safety check &  the coding will take 30 mins.  If you look at a coding video it's more than just putting new numbers into the computer.

I know about AGM, 12v, 70Ah, & the new serial number, but not the other stuff.

If any member has a VCD to loan I'll use it, but I just want to get this battery dealt with.

I am assured the Yuasa battery was charged before fitting.  It certainly gives the appearance of being so now.

If the coding doesn't fix the problem I'll know in 6 days.  This Skoda chap's first item was the lack of coding input is the answer.

He sees more of these problems than I do & besides, I thought he was being helpful at £70.  Skoda Salisbury charged £105 !
I am, afte4r all, hiring a technician & proper kit for an hour & the car gets a check over too.

23 minutes ago, TerenceWallis said:

Hi.  Can I suggest we meet to chat about it ?

PM send.

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 1