Is my garage lying to me ?

On 21/02/2024 at 21:25, TerenceWallis said:

Can I suggest we meet

Battery tested and shows all good, with 12.9 V at rest and 14.9 V engine running.

Battery now coded.

Car also scanned for any faults, three old ones now cleared.

Hopefully we will hear if this was successful from the OP.

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 4

Hello there......I am sad to say Bolero still shuts down to save the battery and still emits those annoying bongs'.     Would a computer system check reveal any contributary faults, or is that the same as this morning's scan?      

A Bolero shut down & restart has been suggsted by a fellow Skoda owner ?

Edited by TerenceWallis

I listen to the cds when parked as I've been doing for years with the ignition off.  How else should one listen ?   This shutting down to 'save the battery' is a new phenomenon.   Turning it on again  lasts a minute or less before turning off again to 'save the battery' & often it will not even start again right away.   As it stands, Bolero thinks the battery will go flat unless it turns off, and this with a brand new coded battery.

Edited by TerenceWallis
clarity

23 minutes ago, TerenceWallis said:

I listen to the cds when parked as I've been doing for years with the ignition off.  How else should one listen ?   This shutting down to 'save the battery' is a new phenomenon.   Turning it on again  lasts a minute or less before turning off again to 'save the battery' & often it will not even start again right away.   As it stands, Bolero thinks the battery will go flat unless it turns off, and this with a brand new coded battery.

Thanks.

It is possible that the removal and replacement of the battery corrupted something in the Radio system.

The design intention according to the instruction book is that if the ignition is turned off, you get the message and the radio shuts down.

But you should then be able to turn the radio back on for 1 hr intervals.

I read in one of your replies that someone suggested doing a Factory reset? That "may" be the solution but make sure you have any codes that may be needed and remove any media that may be attached. You will also have to retune and pair phone again.

https://ownersmanuals.blob.core.windows.net/ownersmanuals/en/Octavia_1Z/11-2012/OwnersManual.pdf

Screenshot2024-02-24at17-07-25Bolero_CarRadio_pdf.png.6a19c695d46d19285053178ee45f28d2.pngScreenshot2024-02-24at17-06-50Bolero_CarRadio_pdf.thumb.png.902f494070dc190d5de0c3575334854d.png

Edited by Stonekeeper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TerenceWallis said:

Would a computer system check reveal any contributary faults, or is that the same as this morning's scan?      

A second scan to see if an codes are now present might give us a clue, but see below.

2 hours ago, TerenceWallis said:

A Bolero shut down & restart has been suggested by a fellow Skoda owner ?

Always worth doing first.

Please keep us posted. 

If all else fails I have a big hammer to do some reprogramming with.  😉

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 3

Reset it to factory settings from the settings screen, should clear any corrupt memory that may be behind all this.

Also .....

A hard reset is usually by pressing and holding the on/off button for at least 10 seconds, then the unit should switch off as in properly power down. Then press power button again for a clean power up.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The symptoms I get now - bonging & close down to save battery are the same that happened for the first time mid-afternoon on the 13th.  The new battery was fitted on the 16th and they continued.  If corruption occured it must have happened on the 13th. How? I was sat in the car listening to a cd until it stopped & that 'saving battery' message appeared.  I was told battery coding would very likely solve this when the new battery was recognised.

I have not seen the Bolero listening regime before.  I would press On, with the ignition off. The disc would run for a hour or so until I'd press Off.  I'd turn the ignition on to start the engine to move off.  I have never listened to Bolero with the ignition on, or on the move - I use it as a static use device.

If I understand you, when the ign. goes off I should be able to start it running for an hour at a time.  (Codes are not needed as it seems they are stored in the intrument cluster at set-up & can only be got at by a Skoda scanner, so the handbook says.)   

I see your 'Switching' graphic has the last active source will be played.  When I switch on the paused cd usually carries on playing .   

AG F:  I'll try a hard reset & also reset to factory settings re: xman.
I'm sure you have big hammers over there but I do have sledge hammer in the shed............

? = what's the downside to leaving the ign. on while listening ?

A quick trawl of the web reveals lots of Bolero gremlins that I've missed over the past 11 yrs.

Edited by TerenceWallis
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TerenceWallis said:

? = what's the downside to leaving the ign. on while listening ?

Battery goes flat quicker.

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 2

OK but how quick ?   Will it suffer significantly for an hour with just the cd playing ?

I tried a hard reset this morning.   I kept my finger on ON/OFF for 10 secs but the turning off message came on & off it went.  I tried it 4 times but never got past 8 secs before it switched off.

The cd  works, of course, with the ign. on but how bad is this in draining the battery ?     I am now forced to use a portable battery driven cd player.   

21 hours ago, xman said:

Reset it to factory settings from the settings screen, should clear any corrupt memory that may be behind all this.

Have you tried this?

Thanks. AG Falco

Factory reset didn't work.   

How draining will leaving the ign. on be ?    I'm considering that as an option.   I haven't yet because I have the portable player but that means using earphones.......

Hard reset is a term for a forced total power down. It is involed by keeping the power button pressed and power is shut off after 7 or 8 seconds as you have experienced. So you did a hard reset.

Next thing to try is to do a factory reset. Follow the instructions in the Bolero settings menu. This clears everything in the Bolero and should be as it left the factory.

• Like 1

There may be a battery sense wire that goes into the bolero, which may have become disconnected somewhere. Consult the electrical diagrams.

Edited by xman

In that case the reset started with the shutting down message & swift shut down.   The factory reset leaves no radio frequencies in situ.   The installed cd plays when Media is selected, then the familiar shutting down messages & silence.    I can banish the messages &  shut downs by leaving the ign. on..........I'm trying to find out how long I can do this for.   An hour at a time would be great !

Your battery sense wire needs a technician.  I can still meet the Skoda tech & had an appointment with on Tuesday afternoon, to look at this.......

If there is one, what then ?  Do you advocate disconnection ?

Edited by TerenceWallis
spelling error correction

Sounds like a talk with Skoda would be a good idea. 

There are good small sound boxes you could use with your portable CD player. Ask if it comes to that.

Thanks. AG Falco

Hello Brian,
             Last Wednesday I arranged to have Skoda Bournemouth register the battery tomorrow at 14.00.  As it's still shutting off I've decided to keep the appointment but talk to the technician about Bolero & it's antics, and how to rectify the problem.

The player came with in-ear 'phones that are OK pro tem but if there are problems with Bolero I'll visit Curry's to try out some replacements, while the problem is hopefully being seen to.

Watch this space !

Terry.

I have a pair of these Apple iMac G4 speakers somewhere but cannot use them.

Apple crippled them by making the Apple speaker minijack as a proprietary 2.5-mm input, whereas the headphone jack is a standard 3.5-mm input.   Also the G4 had its inbuilt amplifier just for it's speakers......

grab_020.jpg

On 26/02/2024 at 16:35, TerenceWallis said:

Skoda Bournemouth register the battery tomorrow at 14.00.  As it's still shutting off I've decided to keep the appointment but talk to the technician about Bolero & it's antics, and how to rectify the problem.

Anything found / solved by them?

Thanks. AG Falco

Well, O eager one, funny you should ask:   

I met with the Skoda man this afternoon who thought the system would adjust to the new battery after being registered 3 days earlier.  I think he felt I was being too impatient as these things take time to adjust.   Ummm ? 

I suggested I have it tested which I did at a local Halfords.  The Halfords tester concluded the battery was in excellent & tip-top condition.  'You have a VG battery there' he said !

An hour later I stopped at traffic lights & the stop/start kicked in.  It did again when I stopped in my driveway 30 mins later.  The cd player ran for 2 mins without stopping.    Tomorrow will be an interesting day.  I have inadvertantly left my battery cd player in Ferndown so shall have to rely on Bolero.

More news then.    It could be icecreams all round.............

• Like 4

Fingers crossed. 🤞

Did the garage that fitted the battery use a memory / code saver power supply in the OBD2 port when changing the battery?

Thanks. AG Falco