Is my garage lying to me ?

Yea from the description now it just seems like not perfect connection the terminals, and first Skoda response "give it time" worked wether corrosion or just expansion and contraction of metal fixed it.

Although I would expect some DTCs to be logged when the bongs happen in some of the car ECUs.

Edited by evlo

5 hours ago, evlo said:

Although I would expect some DTCs to be logged when the bongs happen in some of the car ECUs.

@TerenceWallis

PM me if you want another scan done.

Thanks AG Falco

9 hours ago, TerenceWallis said:

Right.  I'll check this out.

The problem is the cd player asking for the engine to be started to save the battery. 

The CD might just be a symptom especially if it is diagnostically voltage sensitive. Any resistance in power leads will potentially cause issues especially after a high current start or under higher load(headlights, electric power steering etc) . Any slight resistance would be amplified by high current load especially after heat is generated. I had a long lasting issue with Mrs BJ's previous Punto years ago that took ages to sort - it kept showing up strange faults such as power steering or subwoofer disabled, After getting frustrated I fitted a second new battery and the fault suddenly revealed itself , the earth lead crimped to a connector bolted to the bodywork pulled apart and when you looked carefully there was evidence of heat.

The reason I wonder is you had a voltage reading by the dealer of 11v, was from the cars cpu or if a meter where were the leads attached (earth on body or battery negative). If there is a resistance somewhere don't forget V=IR - the higher the current load the greater the voltage drop. Reading the voltage on the battery alone might not show this up. Try measuring at a 12v socket in the car especially with things turned on.

• Like 1

Yes - the cd player is the symptom and the new battery does not appear to be the answer.

Here's a typical scenario for this past week:  I stop at one of my pause-points. The player does 90 mins. I turn it off & go home. I have noticed that when I hear bongs the player will demand a running engine.  No bongs = no running engine demand.

A key is the bongs and I need to find out what they mean. Skoda haven't a clue. They're the 11v merchants who want to replace the alternator for £500 or so.  I don't know how they found 11v but a new altenator is their cure.  I don't think this Greenline has 12v sockets but will explore.

I'm going to take up the offer of AG Falco's scan & will report here when done.  

11 hours ago, TerenceWallis said:

I'm going to take up the offer of AG Falco's scan & will report here when done. 

This Saturday.

Same time, same place any good?

Thanks. AG Falco

18 hours ago, TerenceWallis said:

YES.   B T & B at same time will do very well.

See you then.

Thanks. AG Falco

So two new fault codes found and described as:-

Infotainment data bus in single wire.

Intermittent

Open Circuit

Battery Regulation

Static Current

Intermittent.

Both cleared.

Drive around the block.

Scanned again and not come back yet.

Thanks. AG Falco

Thank you for this afternoon's scans.
It has played for over an hour & I've not heard a bong yet.  

I read your list of this afternoon's discoveries, & wonder if the disconnection of that second small wire that attaches to the negative terminal should be mentioned ?  I should have asked about the likelihood of overcharging with it being disconnected ?

On 30/03/2024 at 17:58, TerenceWallis said:

I should have asked about the likelihood of overcharging with it being disconnected ?

No, it defaults to a normal battery charging pattern.

Keep us posted.

Thanks. AG Falco

Posted (edited)

AG Falco, the Blandford wizard, scanned the system last Saturday, & took the opportunity to disconnect the smart wire from the negative terminal, so rendering the vehicle as 'normal'.
I have had a week of using the cd player, which has behaved normally.  Neither I am happy to say have I experienced those bongs.   Thank you Brian.  

If you favour a particular Pub or similar you must let me know.   I owe you a drink or two.

Edited by TerenceWallis
clarity.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TerenceWallis said:

took the opportunity to disconnect the smart wire from the negative terminal, so rendering the vehicle as 'normal'.

One side effect of this is that the Stop/Start wont work.

But if this solves the problem.....  🤞

Go for another week and report please.

We have had false success before.

I won't hold my breath yet. 🙂

Thanks. AG Falco

Oh......what were the problems then ?

As for stop start - No I will not miss it.    It hasn't appeared so far and I wondered if it would.  In that case I planned to turn it off.  

I'll report in a week.

On 30/03/2024 at 16:53, AGFalco said:

Intermittent

On 30/03/2024 at 16:53, AGFalco said:

Intermittent.

Thanks. AG Falco

I have good news.  

The cd player has performed without asking for a running engine or making any bongs. 

I leave it to you Brian in Blandford to decide if this is classed as a success................

• Like 1

On 06/04/2024 at 11:20, TerenceWallis said:

If you favour a particular Pub or similar you must let me know.   I owe you a drink or two.

On 13/04/2024 at 15:58, TerenceWallis said:

I leave it to you Brian in Blandford to decide if this is classed as a success................

All still OK?

If so.......

Tesco do a 4 Can pack of Old Speckled Hen which is vey nice if you are ever passing............

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/313845437

Thanks. AG Falco

Edited by AGFalco
added link.

Good evening.   Yes.  The player performs as it used to before demanding a runnung engine and I have not heard any bongs.   I give that a thumbs up.     

As for the chicken brew - Leave it with me.   Umm......what days are you NOT there next week.   I'll drop it off when I take John for a spin while he can still see trees & things.   

On 19/04/2024 at 22:19, TerenceWallis said:

Umm......what days are you NOT there next week

NOT in Saturday & Sunday.

Thanks. AG Falco👍