Motorway MPG with Petrol vRS

Could any of you petrol vRS owners give some real world feedback on mpg when on steady motorway runs?

Looking at possibly getting a vRS and wondered what the petrol was like on motorway runs as of my 8,000 or so miles a year around 80-85% of it is steady 25 mile motorway runs to and from work.  My current CR140 Superb gets around 55mpg going to work and high 40s mpg coming back (I live around 400ft higher than my work location hence the difference in each direction). 

If i use the mrs' 1.0TSi Fabia on a few runs to my work i get around 400 miles for the tank if that's any type of comparison?

On a 300 mile journey, mainly motorways, eco mode driving like Miss Daisy, high 40's to the gallon. Worked out filling tank to tank, not off the computer. Short runs of about 5 to 10 miles a day, mid 30mpg. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Boogaloo said:

On a 300 mile journey, mainly motorways, eco mode driving like Miss Daisy, high 40's to the gallon. Worked out filling tank to tank, not off the computer. Short runs of about 5 to 10 miles a day, mid 30mpg. 

My trips along the motorway to and from work are all nice and steady 60-70mph driving so I suspect i may be likely to get mid 40s mpg on average then..... Which isn't too bad if including the slight savings in fuel cost with petrol.

Edited by WaveyDavey

A trip from Taunton to Shere I averaged 45 mpg and I wasn't hanging around, so allowing 10% MoE that's still 39.5 mpg over 136 miles on the A358, 303,M3,A331,31,A3, A25 & A248. 

Journey time was 2h 35. 

Edited by TheWanderer
  • Like 1

I averaged 47mpg on a trip to Lake District from Edinburgh and back last year, short journeys you will struggle to beat 30mpg but all relevant to your driving style. 

It does defeat the point of having a VRS if you don't have a little fun occasionally lol 

• Like 2

I've seen 6.1 l /100 km on a long motorway run.

I've kept a log over the 9.000 + kms since taking delivery and overall consumption (mixed driving) ranges around 8.2 l /100 km to 8.5 l/100 km.

Overall, it's quite an economical drivetrain - and I came from an F41 BMW 320d that regularly gave 6.1 l / 100 km.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DavyN said:

It does defeat the point of having a VRS if you don't have a little fun occasionally lol 

I've found the fuel consumption getting progressively worse after a month or so of short journeys (less than 20km). A long "Italian Tune-up" does wonders. 

So, there's a benefit of the little fun. At least that's what I tell myself......

• Like 2

Hi there, I've had my petrol manual vRS for 14 months now and its averaged at 32mpg over 8000miles.which considering the performance and mostly short trips I think this is excellent. On a motorway run travelling around 75-85 I easily get 40-45mpg.hope this helps.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, greendog said:

Hi there, I've had my petrol manual vRS for 14 months now and its averaged at 32mpg over 8000miles.which considering the performance and mostly short trips I think this is excellent. On a motorway run travelling around 75-85 I easily get 40-45mpg.hope this helps.

That's the problem with the RS, it's so quick and quiet it's easy to find yourself travelling well in excess of the 70 limit without even trying... I found myself doing 80+ a while back and genuinely didn't realise it as I was just concentrating on the road and not looking at the speedo, the performance and ride is just so good now, easy mistake to make, especially in sport mode.

• Like 1

On a long run (A roads, not motorway), I can easily achieve 40+ even with some spirited overtaking. As I have ~1hr 15min of A roads, twists & turns to get to motorway driving, my average for that is lower ~32-35mpg. As has been said, all depends on how you drive - I moved to VRS from a 2l Audi A6 diesel and knew that it would not return even close to the mpg. But I like driving and haven't regretted my decision.

So on my steady runs to and from work along the motorway would the Eco mode make any difference/improvement to mpg?

My commute is around 25 miles each way with around 23 miles of it on the motorway and only 2 or less miles urban.  The amount of cameras on my section of motorway means I’m happy to toddle along on my commutes and leave the having fun and Sport mode to my days off. 😁

• Like 1

On 27/02/2024 at 21:50, WaveyDavey said:

So on my steady runs to and from work along the motorway would the Eco mode make any difference/improvement to mpg?

My commute is around 25 miles each way with around 23 miles of it on the motorway and only 2 or less miles urban.  The amount of cameras on my section of motorway means I’m happy to toddle along on my commutes and leave the having fun and Sport mode to my days off. 😁

It will depend on a few factors such as gradients, traffic density and flow on whether eco mode will make any discernable difference from normal mode. You must have some idea from your diesel dsg Superb whether the coasting function of eco mode makes any difference, but I think I have seen an equal number of claims for better consumption for either mode from different submitters with petrol cars.

What you will probably find is that the petrol engine consumption will be more sensitive to driving technique than the diesel so for instance, you will get less engine braking so a lot more traffic anticipation is required. Well that is what I found when I went from diesel to petrol.

My admittedly limited recent experience on peak time UK motorway with speed cameras is that a significant number of people will drive a bit below the indicated speed limit and adding in normal speedometer variation means that they are doing a true 65mph or less, which can be a bit of a pain for the less patient.

If you avoid the temptation to try and drive at the true speed limit and just 'go with the flow' and add a couple of minutes to your commute then you may find consumption close to 50mpg perhaps even better. Probably telling you how to suck eggs but the petrol car consumption is definitely more pedal sensitive.

None of my hire cars were sports models (by any stretch of the imagination) but I found I got ridiculously good consumption from UK normal (and to me, abnormal) close proximity driving using non aggressive driving with minimal time penalty incurred. Some people seemed to be driving with their foot constantly jumping from accelerator to brake while stuck at the same speed

I'm sure you will work it out for yourself and experimentation is half the fun of getting a new  and very different car.

Edited by Gerrycan

On the Magic Roundabout I seldom see the "National Speed Limit" sign it always shows between 40-60 even when it's really quiet in those circumstances I just drive on the cruise control and don't worry about it. 

There's simply too many scameras along it and they're now starting to breed along the A3 and other roads around Guildford. Does it affect my fuel consumption? A little bit but it's usually for the better. 

5 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

It will depend on a few factors such as gradients, traffic density and flow on whether eco mode will make any discernable difference from normal mode. You must have some idea from your diesel dsg Superb whether the coasting function of eco mode makes any difference, but I think I have seen an equal number of claims for better consumption for either mode from different submitters with petrol cars.

What you will probably find is that the petrol engine consumption will be more sensitive to driving technique than the diesel so for instance, you will get less engine braking so a lot more traffic anticipation is required. Well that is what I found when I went from diesel to petrol.

My admittedly limited recent experience on peak time UK motorway with speed cameras is that a significant number of people will drive a bit below the indicated speed limit and adding in normal speedometer variation means that they are doing a true 65mph or less, which can be a bit of a pain for the less patient.

If you avoid the temptation to try and drive at the true speed limit and just 'go with the flow' and add a couple of minutes to your commute then you may find consumption close to 50mpg perhaps even better. Probably telling you how to suck eggs but the petrol car consumption is definitely more pedal sensitive.

None of my hire cars were sports models (by any stretch of the imagination) but I found I got ridiculously good consumption from UK normal (and to me, abnormally) close proximity driving using non aggressive driving with minimal time penalty incurred. Some people seemed to be driving with their foot constantly jumping from accelerator to brake while stuck at the same speed

I'm sure you will work it out for yourself and experimentation is half the fun of getting a new  and very different car.

I don’t have driving modes on the Superb as it’s a Superb II. That’s why I was asking as it’ll be the first car I’ve had that has driving modes so no idea what difference the eco mode makes when using it. 😉👍🏼

Edited by WaveyDavey
  • Thanks 1

FYI - trip yesterday of 125 miles. 65 miles on M6, 60 miles on A/B/U roads. Motorway speed National limit +15%, other speed not above speed limit and often much lower when going over a pass / fell.

Motorway only - 43.5 mpg

Overall - 40.5 mpg

• Thanks 1

My best is 5.3l / 100km doing 100 km/h on the highway under cruise control in my 2021 petrol VRS wagon.

That works out at around 53 miles per imperial gallon.

• Like 2

Not impressed with eco mode, from just outside Guildford to Chichester 36.6, I've got to back there again sometime during the week to deliver a AIO printer/scanner and fax to a family friend, this will be done in normal or sport. 

I think it'll be better than eco mode. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheWanderer said:

Not impressed with eco mode, from just outside Guildford to Chichester 36.6, I've got to back there again sometime during the week to deliver a AIO printer/scanner and fax to a family friend, this will be done in normal or sport. 

I think it'll be better than eco mode. 

Cheers for that.

What does eco mode actually do to the car?  Is there something out there that explains what each mode changes on the car/engine?

17 minutes ago, WaveyDavey said:

Cheers for that.

What does eco mode actually do to the car?  Is there something out there that explains what each mode changes on the car/engine?

I've answered my own question.......

https://www.skoda-auto.com/world/range-driving-modes