Options & Accessories Debate

Hi Everyone. In the next week or so I'll get my new Octavia estate. My impatience would not allow me to wait a few months for a new one - so I've agreed to buy one already specc'd and shipped to UK in return for a nice discount, and a good price for my Superb. It's the colour I wanted, but has ZERO options ticked. Not even the spare wheel. Got me thinking - what bits of accessories have you all gone for after the event? What would you definiitely buy again - or NEVER again. Not talking about the likes of the sunroof that isn't possible, but more the flip over boot mat, the bin - or even the aftermarket non-oem stuff off eBay like keyfob covers, fluffy dice or them little flappy paddle extenders for the gear changes. What's great - what's crap? 😃

I got the spare wheel kit for mine. Full size with a decent tyre on it. Comprises a replacement foam insert for under the boot floor, jack, tools etc.

Well worth it for peace of mind, especially for long journeys in continental Europe.

On the other hand, I wouldn’t bother with the variable boot floor. In the raised position the boot is too shallow for my purposes and I never use the void under it. In the lower position it’s a pain to get the storage below it and a waste to carry the extra Kg around for no reason. If you ain’t got one, don’t get one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveTheElder said:

I got the spare wheel kit for mine. Full size with a decent tyre on it. Comprises a replacement foam insert for under the boot floor, jack, tools etc.

Well worth it for peace of mind, especially for long journeys in continental Europe.

On the other hand, I wouldn’t bother with the variable boot floor. In the raised position the boot is too shallow for my purposes and I never use the void under it. In the lower position it’s a pain to get the storage below it and a waste to carry the extra Kg around for no reason. If you ain’t got one, don’t get one.

I have the variable floor in the superb and it's good as it makes the whole lot flat - BUT - it can't hold that much weight without breaking (note to self).  I guess I'll be on the lookout for a spare wheel / insert. As ever not keen on paying main dealer prices where not completely necessary. 

I added the illuminated side sills, as the originals on RS had the finish fail. I like the more finished look of sill protectors.

I've also been meaning to upgrade the factory floor mats to the 'premium' version which are supposedly higher quality.

If you're looking for a comprehensive supplier of genuine accessories then I'd highly recommend Kopacek.

11 hours ago, jimcallaghan said:

I have the variable floor in the superb and it's good as it makes the whole lot flat - BUT - it can't hold that much weight without breaking (note to self).  I guess I'll be on the lookout for a spare wheel / insert. As ever not keen on paying main dealer prices where not completely necessary. 

I had the variable floor in my mk2 Octavia in which the rear seat bench folded forward and then the backrests on top making a fully flat load area. Unfortunately the mk4 seat does not tip forward so a flat floor is not achievable.

11 hours ago, jimcallaghan said:

I have the variable floor in the superb and it's good as it makes the whole lot flat - BUT - it can't hold that much weight without breaking (note to self). 

Do you know that from personal experience or are you going by the instructions in the handbook?

Is the Superb variofloor a plywood one as used on previous generations of vehicles?

If so it can take massively more than the supposed maximum load in the handbook and will deflect but spring back to flat, its approx 95cm unsupported width on all these vehicles.

The maximum load given would be the same without a variofloor, its a function of the vehicles payload and the effect on the vehicles stability just like the roof rails, in both cases they can take much much more but is not advisable, your belief that it would break if taken beyond the handbook loading is incorrect, I once carried a load of paving slabs and was surprised at how strong it was, better plywood than any that I can buy, it may even have been blockboard, I am a chancer but even I stopped loading before the variofloor was showing signs of distress.

18 hours ago, jimcallaghan said:

I also bought my car from stock without a spare and thought I would purchase the kit separately afterwards to save money. I scrabbled around to locate the boot insert, tools and second hand space-saver. It was quite a hassle and I probably spent around £180 which is not very much less than the dealer might charge you. I would definitely negotiate a spare wheel from the dealer in future.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, J.R. said:

Do you know that from personal experience or are you going by the instructions in the handbook?

Is the Superb variofloor a plywood one as used on previous generations of vehicles?

If so it can take massively more than the supposed maximum load in the handbook and will deflect but spring back to flat, its approx 95cm unsupported width on all these vehicles.

The maximum load given would be the same without a variofloor, its a function of the vehicles payload and the effect on the vehicles stability just like the roof rails, in both cases they can take much much more but is not advisable, your belief that it would break if taken beyond the handbook loading is incorrect, I once carried a load of paving slabs and was surprised at how strong it was, better plywood than any that I can buy, it may even have been blockboard, I am a chancer but even I stopped loading before the variofloor was showing signs of distress.

It's wooden covered by felt/fabirc. Used the car for 7 years. It's not my 'belief' it would break. It broke. At one point the brackets nearest the rear seats gave way... so i had to repair and improvise. It was full up for a camping trip but didn't drop the floor. My bad. Noticed the wonky floor when I unloaded the car. 

I bought the spare wheel, but I also have a can of tyre weld in case thing's get really desperate!

I want a rubber boot liner, but I'm not paying the silly price for the official skoda one (>£80)

I've bought a set of wind deflectors (£38) & boot organiser about £15 from amazon which nice & light and keeps things like a tow rope, fuses, tyre compressor etc all neat and tidy, just bought a boot lip protector, just a stick on one for a few quid. If it comes off quickly then I've lost a 5er.

Oh and got one of these as well from temu for £8, and I've tested it and it's very bright!Screenshot_20240229_090325_Temu.thumb.jpg.ca2dc3a261a2167013ada999225aad85.jpg

Edited by TheWanderer

Things I've done or added - none make a difference to handling or performance but (IMHO) enhance the experience;

• Rubber key cover - more comfortable when in my pocket & doesn't slide around on plastic
  • LED lamps for the boot as the factory fit ones are sooooo dim
  • Clear sill cover (estate) to reduce potential damage from dogs jumping in/out
  • Changed puddle lamps from 'Skoda' to 'VRS'
  • Rubber boot liner (as above)
  • Changed logo badge on bonnet to be matt black

3 hours ago, jimcallaghan said:

It's wooden covered by felt/fabirc. Used the car for 7 years. It's not my 'belief' it would break. It broke. At one point the brackets nearest the rear seats gave way... so i had to repair and improvise. It was full up for a camping trip but didn't drop the floor. My bad. Noticed the wonky floor when I unloaded the car. 

OK I understand, some of the front fixings are weak.

I had an OE variofloor on my MK1 Octavia, that was very strong, the MK2 and Yeti did not have them so I bought MK1 Octavia ones from scrapyards and modified them to fit, I made my own side and front supports so they were as strong as the floor.

I learned a few things doing the mods:

Tthe boot width between rear arch protectors seems to be common on all the vehicles at 1m.

Tthe radius of the rear edge against the bumper varies slightly between models otherwise the 3 piece variofloors are identical in shape but with different front fixings.

Removing one section making a 3 piece variofloor into a 2 piece one it fits the Yeti perfectly, with a little reshaping of the rear radius, most people would not bother but I am OCD with my work.

5 hours ago, Maxi24 said:

Things I've done or added - none make a difference to handling or performance but (IMHO) enhance the experience;

• Rubber key cover - more comfortable when in my pocket & doesn't slide around on plastic
  • Changed puddle lamps from 'Skoda' to 'VRS'
  • Rubber boot liner (as above)

thanks - - clear sill cover?  Is that one of those strips of thick sticky plastic / roll of tape or something more substantial?

1 minute ago, jimcallaghan said:

thanks - - clear sill cover?  Is that one of those strips of thick sticky plastic / roll of tape or something more substantial?

Just the thick clear plastic that is fixed to rear sill / top of bumper. You can see it as it's shiney, but does a job.

12 hours ago, Maxi24 said:

Dont suppose you have a link for any of these?