Wiper arm replacement after only 2 years?

I took my Skoda Octavia 2022 into the service centre a few days ago, and they mentioned that all 3 wiper arms needed to be replaced for AU$160, and that these arms  need replacing periodically. I’m making claim under Australian Consumer Law, but just wondering if anyone has had to replace the arms frequently. Seems ridiculous after two years (I even have a 5 year service pack).

Under the Australian Consumer Law (ACL), consumers are entitled to automatic guarantees that products will be of acceptable quality, fit for purpose, and match their description. The failure of the wiper arms on a relatively new vehicle constitutes a minor failure as per the ACL's definition, given that this issue can be fixed easily and within a reasonable timeframe. 

I find UV is the biggest killer of rubber blades, turning them brittle. Averagely they should last longer than 2 years though, does your car live in the open most of the time, or do you do high mileage? Of course, wiper blades are consumables like tyres and brake pads, so not under the standard warranty. It's a favourite revenue spinner for dealers, they'll always tell you your wiper blades need replacing - $$$!

I haven't got to that stage with mine yet but when they genuinely need replacing I'd normally buy new the blade cassettes and fit them myself. I haven't priced them but I wouldn't pay a dealer to do it. 

Do the wiper arms actually seem worn out to you? 

I have had my Octavia almost 3 years without this issue, nor has it occurred on any of my other cars over 50 years including a VW Golf owned for the past 8 years.

On the other hand if it was wiper blades - yes those seem to need replacing every couple of years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, carpedion said:

they mentioned that all 3 wiper arms needed to be replaced

Can we confirm that you mean "wiper arms" and not "wiper blades"? I've never needed to replace a wiper arm, even on a car about 20 years old, for any reason other than severe corrosion. I'd routinely replace wiper blades every 2 or 3 years though.

160 AUD is about £80 - I can get a set of blades for £30.  Assuming main dealer mark up, £80 is probably the price for a set of arms and blades, though I could probably get them for less from third party suppliers.

The roos haven't been having a go at them have they?

Edited by avi4tor

9 hours ago, avi4tor said:

160 AUD is about £80 - I can get a set of blades for £30.  Assuming main dealer mark up, £80 is probably the price for a set of arms and blades, though I could probably get them for less from third party suppliers.

The roos haven't been having a go at them have they?

From my VW Golf invoice in October 2023, in Sydney, Australia:

• Replace wiper blades, front (labour): $35.27.
  • WIP. BLADE (part): $58.00
  • Replace wiper blade, rear (labour): $17.64
  • WIPERBLADE (part): $22.00
  • GST (10%): $13.29
  • Total: $146.21

I expect the Skoda dealer to be similar.

So AUD 160 is about right for replacing all 3 blades.

And these are consumables so not covered by warranty.

As for Australian Consumer Law, I think you could argue the case if they lasted less than a year but two years seems  a fairly typical lifetime.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SouthernComfort said:

I too was assuming 'arms' meant 'blades'. Why would wiper arms wear out? Never seen it happen.

I too have never heard of the arm wearing out, although i have seen them snap in frost when the switch has been left in Auto or on when the vehicle is started up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveFromSydney said:

From my VW Golf invoice in October 2023, in Sydney, Australia:

• WIPERBLADE (part): $22.00
  • GST (10%): $13.29
  • Total: $146.21

I expect the Skoda dealer to be similar.

So AUD 160 is about right for replacing all 3 blades.

And these are consumables so not covered by warranty.

As for Australian Consumer Law, I think you could argue the case if they lasted less than a year but two years seems  a fairly typical lifetime.

Wow, what is the labour charge for checking and topping up the wash bottle?  I dread to think of the charge for checking the air in the tyres and pumping them up, after all there are 4 of them!.

4 hours ago, DaveFromSydney said:

Labour - AU$350/hour!?

1 hour ago, Paws4Thot said:

Labour - AU$350/hour!?

I think you would find the labour is close to $200 per hour so those changes for the 3 wiper blades represent a total of about 15 minutes or 5 minutes per blade..

Probably 5 minutes is their minimum charging unit. It is what I have come to expect so nothing to get upset about.

Although it is annoying that this job is probably done by an apprentice yet they probably charge the same for a really experienced mechanic who works on the engine or gearbox.

Replaced the rear wiper blade myself for £5, got it from Halfords (UK car parts store), took about 2 minutes, stupidly simple.

i keep seeing people in here wanting to turn the rear auto wipe feature off because the blade is squealing - that’s because the blade has perished - replace it!  A new blade can sweep dry glass without squealing.

24 minutes ago, BobFrapples said:

Replaced the rear wiper blade myself for £5, got it from Halfords (UK car parts store), took about 2 minutes, stupidly simple.

i keep seeing people in here wanting to turn the rear auto wipe feature off because the blade is squealing - that’s because the blade has perished - replace it!  A new blade can sweep dry glass without squealing.

The last time I got a blade from Halfords they offered to fit it for me, for £5.  I declined the offer. As you say, fitting it barely slowed me down between leaving the store and getting into the car.