Brake failure at 90mph.

It is a bit more than brake failure,  It sounds much more as the accelerator do not allow the electric motors to stop powering the vehicle or the vehicle to be turned off.

If it could have been the vehicle might have reduced speed greatly unless it was going down hill. 

Much the same story as with the MG Electric that supposedly abducted the gent in the Glasgow area.  

Yesterday in the EV section of Briskoda.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 14.49.15.png

Edited by Rooted

'Finger brakes',  Parking / Emergency brakes.  

Not much use really fighting all that BHP / Nm to the rear wheels being driven by electric motors that will not reduce power.

But if you can lock up the rear wheels then you have the front wheels still be powered on a AWD BEV. 

• Like 1

It must have been a brown trouser ride sitting at that speed effectively as a passenger.

It'd be nice to hear a follow up to this story.  I'm assuming people on the phone advised him to try selecting Neutral. Other than that, I'm not sure what I'd have done. Turned on the heating, aircon, seat heaters, stereo as loud as possible, open all the windows etc, perhaps even, against all instincts, plant my foot to the floor and accelerate...  anything to try and use more electricity i.e. drain the battery as quick as possible,     

6 minutes ago, Rooted said:

They stopped it safely just as happened with the MG EV.    It did not even appear to have damage to the front...

Probably because of the AEB/ACC, front mounted radar, standard on most new cars

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, xman said:

Probably because of the AEB/ACC, front mounted radar, standard on most new cars

Mr Owen continued: 'It was just scary I was just hitting the back of this police officer. I was hitting them at about 90mphs.

'I was still talking to the operator, and I was worried. I was thinking I could potentially kill myself hitting this police officer at 90, or I could kill him if he loses control.'

Is it not supposed to apply the brakes before contact?

• Like 1

Maybe the brakes were shot by then, lots of strangeness around this story. Throwing a key into another car at 90mph?

Edited by xman
  • Like 1
  • Groan 1

I know we should never trust the press but the more you read the more weird this is sounding...

It's being reported he drove in to a police car at 90mph but then it's also being reported  the car brought itself to a halt when the battery emptied - it was only when the car was going slow that he hit the police car that finally brought it to a halt.

And then I read this belter...

"Nathan said he 'froze' after the terrifying incident finally ended. He revealed a similar incident happened to him on December 23.

He said: "I was driving at 3am in the morning after I finished one of my previous jobs, it happened exactly the same, I had no control of the vehicle. At the time, it did speed up to about 120mph, so it was going pretty quick.

It happened some months ago, at 3am in the morning? No mention of how he was able to stop back then, no mention if he reported the incident to his dealer.   Is this just poor lazy reporting perhaps innacurate reporting?    It all sounds very weird. I wonder what the actual truth is.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

It happened some months ago, at 3am in the morning? No mention of how he was able to stop back then, no mention if he reported the incident to his dealer

He recalled: 'I was driving at 3am in the morning after I finished one of my previous jobs, it happened exactly the same, I had no control of the vehicle. At the time, it did speed up to about 120mph, so it was going pretty quick.

'I ended up phoning the police, the same how I did with this one. I managed to get the car into neutral after me pressing the buttons on the side of the I-Pace. 'It didn't work this time but last time I managed to get it in neutral so the car ended up stopping with the help of the police in front of me and behind me slowing down as well. 'The car then got recovered to Jaguar Land Rover in Bolton and within 24 hours I got a phone call saying they looked over the car and the cars fine and I should pick it up.'

Lots of confusing detail towards the end of this article after another attention seeker's account of yet another alleged rogue I-Pace.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13169459/First-Big-Brother-winner-Craig-Phillips-tells-terror-brakes-failed-Jaguar-Pace-approached-red-light-wife-children-car.html

Also lots of pictures of Mr Owen's car that show remarkably little or no damage after ramming, banging and making contact with police cars.

82141049-13168113-He_eventually_had_to_b

82140933-13168113-A_picture_of_when_Mr_O

A picture of when Mr Owen's car finally came to a stop when it lost control last December

Edited by xman

Jaguar need to contact Knight Industries for a software update

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KITT

KITT's evil twin is KARR, whose name is an acronym of Knight Automated Roving Robot

KARR was originally designed by Wilton Knight and built by Knight Industries for military purposes for the Department of Defense. After the completion of the vehicle, the KARR processor was installed and activated. However, a programming error caused the computer to be unstable and potentially dangerous. KARR was programmed for self-preservation, but this proved to be dangerous to the Foundation's humanitarian interests. The project was suspended and KARR was stored until a solution could be found. Once KITT was constructed, it was presumed that his prototype KARR had been deactivated and dismantled. However, the latter did not occur and KARR was placed in storage and forgotten following the death of Wilton Knight. KARR was later unwittingly reactivated by thieves

Edited by xman
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, xman said:

Seems the guy has now been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and causing a public nuisance.

Well I never....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13192851/Police-arrest-Jaguar-Pace-driver-31-suspicion-dangerous-driving-control-car-rammed-road-officers-went-rogue-speeds-120mph.html

What a surprise.

• Like 1