6 Year Refresh, vRS 245

I'm going to spend some £££ on my 2018 vRS to stop me from swapping it (plus a lot more £££) for an Arteon R Shooting Brake / Passat R Line Edition (unicorn) / E Class All Terrain / A6 Allroad. Admittedly an automatic would be nice again and so would increased weight capacity whilst towing the caravan.

However, now at 6 years old and nearly 60k miles, I've had the Octy from new and it's been 100% reliable apart from a driver's door speaker. It gets all the right maintenance. It's still on its original brake discs / pads and wipers. Why would I get rid of it?

My to do list:

- Wheel refurb. Silver or gloss black. 

- New front and rear brake discs and pads

- Paint the calipers, matt black

- Wheel spacers maybe, maybe not

- Hunter wheel alignment

- Air con service 

- Full detail 

- New mats 

- New number plates

- New rear tyres (Goodyear Assy 6)

- Open to other suggestions!

Would be good to get opinions or experience on the Hunter wheel alignment. Is it worth doing?

Here it is on holiday duties last summer. 

IMG_20230731_180534.jpg

Stick with the Octavia. Having test driven an Arteon (a TSI 190 version) they are big 'ol buses and very very thirsty on fuel.

Remember you can also enable up via functions on your car and there are LOADS of updates you can do to improve things (e.g.virtual dashboard, automatic boot opening)...list is endless.

• Like 2

If you're considering getting the alignment checked, what about getting things like the bushes replaced?

Wouldn't imagine you need to go for rock hard ones.

Also, how come you're thinking of changing the red colour on the calipers?

• Like 1

@varaderoguy Thanks for the suggestions and Arteon info. Might add OBD 11 to the list actually.

@ChoonDoode I was thinking the same, also drop link replacement maybe. I guess the place that would check / do the alignment would advise if there are worn components... I'm painting the calipers because the rears are flaking somewhat and I've never been a huge fan of the red. I did like the green on my original Fabia vRS though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swirly182 said:

@ChoonDoode I was thinking the same, also drop link replacement maybe. I guess the place that would check / do the alignment would advise if there are worn components... I'm painting the calipers because the rears are flaking somewhat and I've never been a huge fan of the red. I did like the green on my original Fabia vRS though!

fair dos, we've all got our taste. If it were me in your situation, I'd get the alloys sprayed gloss black and have the calipers redone in a similar shade to the paintwork. 

Had a RARB fitted years ago on my MK3 and it was a lovely update on the steering input. Much sharper and less roll. 

Had the Hunter alignment done with this. IMO laser alignment is well worth it for handling and even tyre wear. 

I have always found that Octavia's sag a little in the rear after a year or so causing inside shoulder wear. Combine that with the array of potholes about ATM and you'll be surprised how far out tracking can be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Surprised by the suggestion that the springs can sag in such a short time but if that is the case and the OP tows then that should be looked at.

If the problem is apparent then maybe new springs and airbags to avoid repetition?

• Like 1

Airbags?

I bet that vehicle drags its ar5e like a dog with worms with a caravan on tow, a roof box and passengers.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, littleredduck said:

Had a RARB fitted years ago on my MK3 and it was a lovely update on the steering input. Much sharper and less roll. 

good suggestion. I had the clubsport RARB fitted and that made a welcomed improvement to the handling

Thanks all for the input. 

Rear springs were uprated for towing last year. Definitely not sagging - normal people lower their cars, I raised mine! @J.R. You went to great lengths to advise me on this.

@EnterName Never looked into the undersealing, any links?

• Like 3

Another on my list is rear ARB. 

Just about to do discs and pads at 92k but this will be the second time they've been changed. They aren't needing to be changed but are worn and are very rusty.

Suspension is a tricky one, alot I have found wears together. Do it all or nothing at all. I did shock absorbers, topmounts, ARB links and springs. Definitely worth doing bottom ball joints and rear D wishbone bushes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Surprised by the suggestion that the springs can sag in such a short time but if that is the case and the OP tows then that should be looked at.

In all my years I'd never considered the one plus one of me towing being the reason my rear tracking wandered. 

Feeling like a bit of a **** with this realisation 🤦‍♂️

12 hours ago, Swirly182 said:

Thanks all for the input. 

Rear springs were uprated for towing last year. Definitely not sagging - normal people lower their cars, I raised mine! @J.R. You went to great lengths to advise me on this.

@EnterName Never looked into the undersealing, any links?

There's a company that uses some sort of sheep fat to undercoat cars (yes I know it sounds weird) and there was a guy who's just bought a particularly fine example of an early Fabia vRS who's going to get his car done there, but I can't fidn the thread on it and I don't find search facility on Brisky particularly helpful. It usually seems to find everything I don't want and nothing I do want.

Other companies are available, have a Google. There really ought to be a section in "Maintenance" on rustproofing and enhancing vehicle longevity.

Paying someone to rustproof your car seems a bit of a lazy luxury to me, and I think I'll go the DIY route. (When I can be bothered.) 😄

• Thanks 1

Lanoguard is what the coating is called- based on what sheep have in their wool to keep them dry - not sheep fat lol- I did mine 3 years ago - it is not cheap but miles better than waxoyl which I used to use and I keep it topped up every year- takes me about ten minutes using my friendly mechanics car lift. Zero rust under my car 

• Like 1