Plumbing query

Morph

Found this **** in and around the 15mm to 1/2 straight valves on my two toilets. Unknowingly I had already washed away a load in each cistern without really thinking too much into it and there is now a bit more in one of the cisterns again. 

About 6 months ago the taps all had varying degrees of slowness to them. Took the filters/diffusers on the end of each tap out and all were quite full of ****. 

Are these a water company issue or more my pipes. 14 year old house. 

F5F73869-9EB7-4D02-A175-268C47F83C70.jpeg

then id be contacting the water supplier to investigate their end. 

have you checked with neighbours? see if they similar issues?

Posted (edited)

No work locally that I know of. Not asked neighbours but I will. 

Edited by Morph

That looks like deposits from the inside of the water companies mains pipes another not from the ones in your house, assuming it's almost like a sandy mortar consistency or a black sludge.

If they have done any work on the network (not even nearby) that involved an increase in pressure or reversing the flow in a mains pipe it's likely to have disturbed deposits and pulled some off the inside of the pipes.

Seen it plenty of it when doing water mains repairs

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1

It may be fungus or bacteria related, more common inside plastic piping than copper and where water is infrequently flushed.

It could be black rust, ferrous oxide from old cast iron supply pipes, which may still be upstream. Check with a magnet!

Check where your water comes from, borehole, water tower etc 

https://plumbingnav.com/fixtures/black-stuff-coming-out-of-faucet/

Looks like a corroding cast iron water main but it usually makes the taps run red with rust, where I used to live it was a big problem, they would flush the main every now and then by opening the fire hydrant and the street would be orange after it dried out, eventually after one too many compensation claims they shotblasted and epoxy sprayed the inside.

The other possibility is hard water calcaire deposits (limescale?) I have had them very dark in colour, easy to test as they dissolve in vinegar or lemon juice, if you have mousseurs (dont know the name in English) on your mixer taps they are usually the first thing to block, I have to clean mine every year or so, does your kettle get limestone deposits?

4 hours ago, Morph said:

About 6 months ago the taps all had varying degrees of slowness to them. Took the filters/diffusers on the end of each tap out and all were quite full of ****. 

I did not see this, how long have you lived in the house? If you moved in less than a couple of years before cleaning the diffuseurs (thanks for the English vocabulary) then you probably live in a hard water area and cleaning will become a regular routine when tap flow slows down.

Kettle not so bad.  I live in a soft water area, I’ve lived in very hard water areas and have seen the difference. The house is 15 years old and I would assume I’m the only person to have cleaned or repaired any of these types of things. 

• Like 1