Oil Usage 1.5 Petrol

Wondering if anyone else has any experience? Over the weekend saw oil was down to bottom of the dipstick markings. Before I could get some to top up my next journey also gave me a warning. Added 0.5l which has brought it back to around just under half way.

12k miles since last service in October. Is this usage normal? Just keep topped up until next service in 6.7k?

With my previous diesels was used to some consumption but didn’t expect so much with a new petrol engine. 

Should also add - anyone know the total oil capacity? Thanks

Edited by Sussex

Just added 0.5L to my vRS last night as it was down to 1/4 above minimum at 6k miles, seems pretty normal to me.  Anything up 0.5L per 1000km is usually considered normal by most manufacturers though I'd be surprised to see anything as high as that.

In the 25 years I've owned various VAG vehicles (from a 1.4TSI to a 4.2FSI) I've noticed a pattern of zero or low oil usage up to 10,000 miles after a service, and up to 1 litre per 5,000 miles after that.

Which is a great argument for servicing intervals no greater than 10,000 miles despite what flexible servicing may say.

Very normal if you do not check a cars oil level after a service to know where it is when cold or when it should be checked at normal operating temperature.

Then never check again and top up as required  Especially with 1.5 TSI ACT,s. 

Read the Owners Manual.  

Screenshot 2024-03-26 08.49.40.png

w960_3927-184.webp.73915a6fb37a94533c81297546c60f1f.webp.2298c431b96569412386a1e0046c94b0.webp

8CFCA627-99C5-49CB-8B92-A9E4B118ACD7.jpeg.aff33411b2364c2a79a21c568d3c82a6.jpeg.ce628d2a008b965fee387f399bc724bc.jpeg

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sussex said:

Wondering if anyone else has any experience? Over the weekend saw oil was down to bottom of the dipstick markings. Before I could get some to top up my next journey also gave me a warning. Added 0.5l which has brought it back to around just under half way.

12k miles since last service in October. Is this usage normal? Just keep topped up until next service in 6.7k?

With my previous diesels was used to some consumption but didn’t expect so much with a new petrol engine. 

Should also add - anyone know the total oil capacity? Thanks

Yes, I've got a 1.5 and always have to top up the oil between services.

I use "TRIPLE QX SynPlus Engine Oil 0W-20 VAG 508/509 - 1Ltr" and even put it in the car if it's been a while since topping up and I'm doing a long journey.

• Like 1

I bought my 1.8 mkII with 4,000 miles on it.  It need an oil top up before the next service.  I now have a 1.5 mkIV, and am anticipating having to top that as well.  The only annoying thing is my supply of 5/30 oil  technically is the wrong grade as the 1.5 requires 0/20. However I suspect that the odd 0.5 litre of 5/30 added to a sump of 0/20 between services will not be noticed.