Skoda Octavia Vrs Petrol - What mpg do you get?

Hi guys,

Apologies if this has been covered before, but just curious. I have a Vrs 230 Fl on a 2017 plate. It is a 6 speed manual. 

It is standard with no mods or maps. I expected to get 38-40mpg on average just bimbling about and changing gear around 2k rpm. 

Sadly the most I see is 34-35mpg. My main journey every day is 13 miles of dual carriageway at 60-70mph each way.

Just starting this thread, as a mate of mine has a 69 plate Vrs 245 Dsg, he has just had it mapped to 302bhp and still gets 40mpg.

Is there something wrong with mine, or is dsg just more economical?

Edited by STU3Y

I have a 230 DSG on a 2018 plate, albeit in a Golf GTI.  Long term average (30k miles) is 34.2mpg.  Last tank was 41.1mpg with a run up to Stratford-upon-Avon and back.

My previous car was a 220 vRS DSG, mapped to just North of 300bhp.  Long term (25k miles) average was 29.5mpg (lot of urban htw 4 mile journeys), and best tank, post mapping, was 42.4mpg.  I did used to have to be good with my right foot if I wanted to eke out the mpg.

Gaz

Between 35-38mpg on a 220 DSG vRS.
A fair amount of urban miles in that and often with a roofbox etc.

Long Drives I can get into the last 40's but that is generally cruising at 60-65mph.

Always wondered if a conservative map to add some lower torque would benefit the fuel economy

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

@STU3Y  Is it only 340-350 miles you get from about 45.5 litres, or is that what the car shows as the 'Average mpg'?

I get about 340 miles from a tank. But use a fuel app anyway and averaging 34mpg

1 hour ago, littleredduck said:

Between 35-38mpg on a 220 DSG vRS.
A fair amount of urban miles in that and often with a roofbox etc.

Long Drives I can get into the last 40's but that is generally cruising at 60-65mph.

Always wondered if a conservative map to add some lower torque would benefit the fuel economy

Mapping diesels always helps, but I was always of the impression petrols were the opposite. 

26 minutes ago, STU3Y said:

Mapping diesels always helps, but I was always of the impression petrols were the opposite. 

I would normally totally agree with you yet the 230 & 245 both get the similar economy as the 220 so it feels like there is a bit of headroom.

My old PD170 MK2 found another 5mpg after a stage 1 map...of course using my right foot more immediately rendered this useless.

My 2018 245 manual is dependant on the season! Over autumn/winter it averages 36mpg, spring/summer 40mpg. All indicated and taking it easy. Not full eco mode.

Your doing well to average 34 ish ,mines doing mid 20s about town and short run to work ,best on a run is 42 .
👍

Edited by Mickvrs220

Posted (edited)

Generally 340-345 miles with about 15 mile left on reserve. But either way the actual mileage is only 34mpg, displayed by the car and the app I use that calculates it

Edited by STU3Y

2015 220 TSi DSG here. I used to do a cross country 20 mile commute which saw me easily get 38-41mpg and on average 400-420 miles a tank with a 38mpg long term average.

My commute is now 3 miles at 40mph and a lot of short distances running kids about. 

I'm now getting 280-320 a tank and long term average has dropped to 31mpg.

Having recently been on a long run (and back), 90 mins at 70mph I saw 42mpg and 39mpg. With 200 miles down I'm showing 250 left in range which would put me back to my old 400 odd miles a tank.

From what you've posted I'd say it's about right. 

On a summer holiday last year winding across the a47 and a17 at 50mph, fully loaded after nearly 3 hrs I saw 49mpg.

Seems like most are around 38mpg then but mainly dsg. Mine may be a 2-4 down then. Maybe that 7th gear makes all the difference..

9 hours ago, STU3Y said:

Seems like most are around 38mpg then but mainly dsg. Mine may be a 2-4 down then. Maybe that 7th gear makes all the difference..

I've got a golf R dq250 dsg

I.e. 6 speed. With a jb4 tuning box. My lifetime 3 Yr average of very mixed driving is 28mpg. Long motorway keep to 70 and i can see 38mpg... 

I'd say you're in the range, replace airfilter and sparkplug are the only 2 things you can probably do to improve but doubt it will alter it.... Good maintenance though... 

I am sure the 2.0tsi is a good overall drive but judging by the reported consumptions I don't consider it a particularly efficient unit if I'm honest.

Nonetheless I'm pretty sure the OP is not getting the consumption he should with his commute and declared driving style.

So it is either the car or perhaps the OP is not driving to the engine's most efficient characteristics?

As already mentioned checking air filter and plugs condition is easy, as is tyre pressures and whether there is any brake binding. Beyond that it gets more difficult and expensive. I'm assuming no roof racks or other air brakes are involved :) 

I'm afraid I have had brand new consumption lemons from other manufacturers and they did not improve with running in as the dealers promised. It happens and you get no sympathy or help from the dealers

I've found using the 'instant' consumption display is useful for highlighting faults in my driving for economy style. . Perhaps the OP could try that to see what sort of consumption should be obtainable at a given speed? For example, in my 1.4tsi if I'm doing 100kph (about 2000 rpm as the 1.4tsi manual is fairly low geared imo) on the flat and showing about 5L/100 (55mpg) then that is pretty reasonable, if I am in the company of other cars then I will get better consumption with the draughting effect. A steady 80kph due to traffic or roadworks and I'll get an indicated 4L/100 (70mpg) or better. Always assuming no headwind or temperature extremes, standing water or really coarse tarmac.

Cruise control does just as good a job as me (sometimes better) on the flat but I can improve on it in hilly country. Slogging an engine in too low a gear is not as economical as you might think, use the instant consumption display to compare different techniques.

Traffic anticipation and minimising unnecessary application of the brakes is about as sophisticated as I get.

Edited by Gerrycan