The 2024 UK General Election

You forgot to mention lower house prices...   Which was the headline of the article...

That was always something you always wanted and have posted about wanting many times.

Any reason why you did that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skomaz said:

You forgot to mention lower house prices...   Which was the headline of the article...

But that wasn't really the meat of the piece.

1 hour ago, @Lee said:

But that wasn't really the meat of the piece.

Possibly but the fall in house prices was mentioned within what was a short piece at least three times by my counting - so I was intrigued as to why someone so vehement about house price rises in the past chose not to mention it...

7 hours ago, skomaz said:

That was always something you always wanted and have posted about wanting many times.

Any reason why you did that?

Only down by a couple of tenths in each of the last couple of months though is not the time of the year prices normally rise ?

Talk on the markets there might be no rate cuts this year and I have to renew my smallish mortgage end of the year so might pay some off if mortgage rates are 6% or so.

Tory ministers need to get their pens out to say there is less than no money, think the current uk national debt works out about £50k per working person up from £20k in 2010.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Only down by a couple of tenths in each of the last couple of months though is not the time of the year prices normally rise? 

Yes. Who wants to move when it's cold, dark and rainy. 🤷

53 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Only down by a couple of tenths in each of the last couple of months though is not the time of the year prices normally rise ?

Talk on the markets there might be no rate cuts this year and I have to renew my smallish mortgage end of the year so might pay some off if mortgage rates are 6% or so.

Tory ministers need to get their pens out to say there is less than no money, think the current uk national debt works out about £50k per working person up from £20k in 2010.

The figure quoted was actually 4% down on the peak of 2022...

3 hours ago, skomaz said:

The figure quoted was actually 4% down on the peak of 2022...

And if you take inflation compounded that would be about 15% so we talking nearly 20% in real terms, wow, but perhaps it has been on the high side.

Two of my kids doing lots of saving, Lifetime ISAs and high interest accounts ready to but when it bottoms out, other one got a 5 year fixed at less than 3%.

Just another big reason to hold the Con party for economic mismanagement, so much more they could have done to get inflation from spiking so high.

Hopefully we, and they, will see the level of dis-satisfaction with the Local Elections today though I think there will be lots of tactical voting.  Greens and Lib Dems are big in my part of Worcester, many old Con voters will not vote Labour so will go to either of those parties and some Labour supporters at a national level will note tactically I reckon.

As my local party points out one has two votes I think for Councillors and another one here for Crime Commissioner,  not always clear. Hope turnout is good, never seen so many leaflets and visits to the front door in any election.

IDK if this is an indication for the GE but after 55/ 107 councils have declared, Reform haven't got a single councillor elected so far. (lol) 

It is really good to see Rishi Sunak sMP / PM so happy with things. Not that he is not always smiling and up for it like a Duracell bunny. 

He really must be thinking that i can give up all this nonsense soon having done what the in-laws wanted after investing so much in him getting where he is. 

Job done for the sponsors and backers and now he can get back to a more normal life as millionaire married to the heiress of a billionaire. 

Posted (edited)

Mel Stride MP saying Ben Houchen stood as a proud conservative.

Truth is Houchen went out of his way to avoid association with the Tories. :D

I think Andy Street did the same in West Midlands Mayoral campaign but that's not been declared yet. 

Edited by @Lee
  • Thanks 1

Just seen the Sheffield results...   No overall control on something like a 38% turnout...   So once again we have a coalition with the small number of Greens effectively holding all the cards and being the power brokers...   So same old **** again...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Worcester's 35 seats LABOUR just failed to get majority and got 17 seats, Green 12, LibDems 5 and Cons left with just one incredibly.

So Labour will need to work with Greens I suppose to get things done.

Edited by lol-lol

44 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Just seen the Sheffield results...   No overall control on something like a 38% turnout...   So once again we have a coalition with the small number of Greens effectively holding all the cards and being the power brokers...   So same old **** again...

The answer to that is dead simple; get out there and vote, and tell folk you know to vote.

11 minutes ago, Paws4Thot said:

The answer to that is dead simple; get out there and vote, and tell folk you know to vote.

Australian style voting system where one is fined for not voting ?

We still have a big problem with degree students who do their degrees in other cities and are not helped by the system to get their vote moved to where they are.

Maybe postal vote for everyone is the answer and would be 💚 er.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Worcester's 35 seats LABOUR just failed to get majority and got 17 seats, Green 12, LibDems 5 and Cons left with just one incredibly.

Yep so expect lots of cycle lanes to be built 🤣

20 minutes ago, Paws4Thot said:

I did...   It seems that the other 62% can't be arsed though... 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Yep so expect lots of cycle lanes to be built 🤣

I did...   It seems that the other 62% can't be arsed though... 

We have quite a lot of that anyways in the newer parts but I want to see electric scooters, not the super fast ones, allowed on these cycle lanes.

Might have to restrict my 750 watt but then I hope they would allow heavier scooters, mine has a seat on it as well, to have more than 250w. Never had it over 18 mph but they can be very green for nipping to the shops and getting your Chinese or fish and chips whilst still warm !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lol-lol said:

I'm sure that will work for Labour as well as it did for the SNP. 😄

2 minutes ago, EnterName said:

I'm sure that will work for Labour as well as it did for the SNP. 😄

I suppose the good thing for Labour is it only needs one vote and Labour can choose Greens or Lib Dems fir that single vote. 

My elected Councillor, Libdem, is an ex Labour person, not tainted by that 2010-2015 time when Libdems were in Government with Cons.

My area of Worcester is a leafy suburb with mainly rightish leaning people who would never vote Labour and Libdem probably picked up loads of tactical votes and the letterbox literature pleaded for tactical voting and like the greens probably will not pick up anything like the votes in a GE that they did in these locals.

31 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

We have quite a lot of that anyways in the newer parts but I want to see electric scooters, not the super fast ones, allowed on these cycle lanes.

Might have to restrict my 750 watt but then I hope they would allow heavier scooters, mine has a seat on it as well, to have more than 250w. Never had it over 18 mph but they can be very green for nipping to the shops and getting your Chinese or fish and chips whilst still warm !

Legislation will probably come over time.

But they will have to sort out making any of them legal in a Public place first.

Currently apart from those in local trials none are.

Great win for Labour in the South Yorkshire area which covers Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield.

Labour got over half the votes cast with the Cons, Greens, independents and LibDems adding up to less than half of Labour's tally.

Good to win East Midlands as well but West Midlands looking very tight.

Posted (edited)

Andy Burnham has been re-elected as Mayor of Greater Manchester. This follows votes in all 10 GM districts.

Landslide?

Screenshot2024-05-04at16-11-23Result2024.thumb.png.53ecd43c92d79bf3cdcca3b16e5e98a3.png

Edited by Stonekeeper
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stonekeeper said:

Andy Burnham has been re-elected as Mayor of Greater Manchester. This follows votes in all 10 GM districts.

He absolutely smashed it - >420,000 votes vs the tory candidate's just under 69,000 votes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, @Lee said:

He absolutely smashed it - >420,000 votes vs the tory candidate's just under 69,000 votes.

Was looking for the breakdown as you posted