Trouble starting on cold mornings: ASR Error

Request for advice: ASR Error when starting in the morning.

I have an Octavia SE TSI 1.4 MkII 2012 that often gets an ASR Error when I turn the ignition to start, mostly on a cold morning, below 4C. The engine does not start while the ASR lamp is on. 

It take a few tries to clear the error and the solution is never consistent and includes, remove the ignition key, replacing it, releasing the handbrake, putting a foot on the brake pedal. Simulating a full lock and unlocking of the vehicle. Or any combination of those.

Once the started there are no issues and the vehicle starts fine during the day.

My guess is it may be related to a sensor that feeds the ASR control. Or perhaps a mechanic issue on the handbrake or brakes.

Has anyone had this and provide some tips for determining the root cause?

Regards
Jeremy

I'd suspect the battery, especially as a failing battery is worse on a cold morning.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I check the battery with Bosch diagnostics at Kwik-Fit - no issues, fully charged and able to handle the load - so doesn't look like it is battery related.

Below is a shot of the MFD error from this morning's start. It eventually started after 10 attempts.

image.thumb.png.8c0cec9d05c190b99482c70a2e46d2df.png

Edited by wildcard_jed
Update information on the battery test

Hello, welcome to the forum.

Considering the vehicle is not in motion, I suspect the ASR fault report may be a red herring. I suggest getting a check done for any fault codes.  

• Like 2

I agree it looks like a faulty battery but the same condition can appear with a good battery if there is a poor connection (including earth) anywhere between the battery and the starter.

Look for corroded crimps and signs of black copper where the cable(s) is crimped and obviously, loose connrctions.

When you attempted to start, did the starter turn over? If not then look at the small wire going to the starter motor.

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions @Warrior193, Bosch diagnostics was run and an error was cleared on the engine ECU (the guy was to quick to let me photograph the error that was cleared).  He suggested that there may be a faulty connection between the ASR on/off button on the console panel and the relay switch that connects to the ECU. He said in his opinion it might be a job for an auto electrician to investigate.

With the error in the engine ECU now cleared perhaps this ASR error issue will go away for now - let's see.

In the meantime, I will inspect the wiring route from the battery to the starter as suggested by @pikpilot.

• Like 1