Tires for 2017 L&K 220 Hatch

Hi All, looking for some advice. I've recently got hold of some Bilstein B6 shocks for my L&K, but I'm getting the front tires changed at the same time, so tracking only needs doing once. The garage has come up with this list, but I'm not sure I like the sound of any of them:

Avon ZV7 - £97.95+VAT per tyre
Uniroyal Rainsport 5 - £98.95+VAT per tyre
Hankook Ventus S1Evo3 Tyre - £114.95+VAT per tyre
Pirelli Powergy - £119.95+VAT per tyre
Hankook Ventus Prime 4 - £139.95+VAT per tyre

I've got Hankooks on at the moment, and they're a bit scrabbly. Another thing with them is that the garage has said they're getting a lot of returns on Hankooks with premature degradation. They have said if there's a particular tire I want, they can probably get hold of it...

Posted (edited)

Those Avons split through the tread grooves after only a few years when part worn ( at least did on daughters fiesta and have observed a few others at random)

Uniroyal rainsports on our impreza and theyre excellent generally / good in winter as well as wet and dry-  only “but” is that car doesnt do many miles so cant comment on wear rates on a bigger car like a superb.  Comfortable and quiet because sidewalls and rubber are quite soft, and seem to be lasting as well as michelin pilotsports that were previously on.

cant comment on the others sorry.

Edited by Shuggyboatsuperb
Spelling
  • Like 1

Thanks, in terms of mileage, this year I did about 8000, and that's the highest I've ever gone with it. Lock downs and wfh have kept it quite low... 

@Smudger2   Is it a Garage or a Tyre & Exhaust Center that you are using & can they do 4 wheel Alignment Checks and adjustments and not just 'Tracking'.

Is it Free Tracking & Alignment checks, but pay to then have corrected if required?

As to the Hanckook's, are they a Hankook official dealer if they are getting lots of return of their TYRES ? ( USA,  TIRES)

1 hour ago, Ootohere said:

@Smudger2   Is it a Garage or a Tyre & Exhaust Center that you are using & can they do 4 wheel Alignment Checks and adjustments and not just 'Tracking'.

Is it Free Tracking & Alignment checks, but pay to then have corrected if required?

As to the Hanckook's, are they a Hankook official dealer if they are getting lots of return of their TYRES ? ( USA,  TIRES)

It's a garage, and I haven't asked. They're not a hankook official dealer

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Smudger2 said:

235x45x18

Thanks. So what is your budget? I ask as ultimately, this drives what you're going to purchase. If you're looking at £150 a unit, there'd be no point in us suggesting £200 units. 

I wanted all-season tyres so I knew I'd be looking at least £250 a unit.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, numskull said:

Thanks. So what is your budget? I ask as ultimately, this drives what you're going to purchase. If you're looking at £150 a unit, there'd be no point in us suggesting £200 units. 

I guess I'm on no set budget. My attitude is that these are providing the only contact with the road so want the best all-round. The only caveat is that I'm not changing the rears at present, and these are Michelin Primacy I think. 

17 hours ago, Smudger2 said:

've got Hankooks on at the moment, and they're a bit scrabbly. Another thing with them is that the garage has said they're getting a lot of returns on Hankooks with premature degradation.

I have just replaced the Hankook Prime 3 tyres that were part worn on my 4WD Yeti when I bought it, I got a further 55000 miles out of then which I consider excellent considering the 4WD and also the many thousands of miles of removal journeys towing very heavy trailers.

I have replaced them with........................................................

Hankook Prime 3 tyres!!!! €98 per corner considerably less than your quote yet the 60 profile tyre will have a lot more rubber.

4 hours ago, Ootohere said:

are they a Hankook official dealer if they are getting lots of return of their TYRES ? ( USA,  TIRES)

Head office maybe but all tyre companies are multi-national now and manufacture where the cost is least, most of the smaller less known companies are owned by the bigger ones, the Hankooks I replaced were made in Malaysia, the new ones made in Hungary. Identical tyres from identical moulds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, numskull said:

£1000 for a set of tyres, is that what people are paying now? 🤯

I have run part worns since 2004 and my budget has always been £25 per corner fitted for 4 matching tyres with 3/4 tread depth that were evenly worn, the last bit being the most important, that avenue is now closed to me and paying €400 came as a real shock but £1000/€1160 😬

@J.R.  I was more interested in if it was a garage that sourced / gets delivered what ever tyres a customer wants then fits them.

The same story is repeated lots on here about this place or that place gets lots of tyres returned.

All different brands are mentioned,. 

Well all cars have tyres of one kind or another and some have issues and some do not.

The common factor being, there is no common factor.  Location location location, vehicles, how used etc etc.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Yeah, I didn’t end up paying that. I think the came out to £190. 

I guess I'm on no set budget.

That’s good.

I'm not changing the rears at present, and these are Michelin Primacy I think

Why not go with a new pair of those?

I have Primacy 4 S1s on mine and find them better than the Eco-contacts that they replaced.  They're rated as A, A, 72db.  If I were buying a new set again, I'd go for 245 45 18 as the Primacy 4 is rated at 68db in that size (with a small penalty in terms of a B rating for fuel consumption).  I'd prefer the wider size mainly to gain a little in terms of rim protection.  If you're just buying two, there's a Volvo optimised version (VO) rated at 70db in the original size.  They're not a noisy tyre by any means but on rough asphalt, every little helps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, numskull said:

Yeah, I didn’t end up paying that. I think the came out to £190. 

That’s good.

Why not go with a new pair of those?

I'd heard these described as ditch finders elsewhere on this forum, only put them on as a) going on rear do not driven and b) was all that Costco had in my size when I went to get them fitted... 

@Smudger2  Was that me describing Primacy 4 as fitted to PHEV,s and BEV,s like the Corsa Electric i had as Ditch Finders. 

They were for that application, hopeless in damp, cold, wet, slush, snow or ice.  With instant torque from the off they could just spiin or have the cars cut power.

But there are different ones, and sizes, and weights of car.  

5 minutes ago, Ootohere said:

@Smudger2  Was that me describing Primacy 4 as fitted to PHEV,s and BEV,s like the Corsa Electric i had as Ditch Finders. 

They were for that application, hopeless in damp, cold, wet, slush, snow or ice.  With instant torque from the off they could just spiin or have the cars cut power.

But there are different ones, and sizes, and weights of car.  

Not sure, it was a long time ago... 

Going back to the list at the top, I had Pirelli Powergy's on the last Superb and they were not particularly impressive. Just about got 20,000 out of them on the front when the Michelin's they replaced did 30,000. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smudger2 said:

I'd heard these described as ditch finders elsewhere on this forum…

Unfortunately, this phrase is so over used and inaccurate, it borders on the ridiculous. 95% of drivers bottle will let go far earlier than 95% of the tyres will. 

If only it was inaccurate for many tyres for many drivers who do not even know that tyres or size or pressures they are at or if maybe driving with a bit of care might suit them and the road condition. 

Ditch finder, kerb hitters, poor grip / traction / friction and control of the steering and braking can be an issue with many ECO Bias / Summer Bias tyres even from the top brands.

Like some of the crap Manufacturers fit even to SUV,s or full or part time AWD.s

• Like 1

I am also partial to Uniroyal, I have heard only good things about friends (who know how to turn the wheel, even opposite lock) driven hard in all conditions.

I've also noticed the SIII is a very quiet car, so makes sense to consider quieter tires as well.

Budget wise, sometimes a better tire - generally more expensive - can save up in the long term you drive with it, and I came to consider that a trade off must be made. It is a tricky affair, and very personal one. After a few choices made more on the "budgetary aspect", next time I will be open to consider more performance than cost.

22 hours ago, J.R. said:

You'd be amazed 😝

Unfortunately, tires have gone up a bit on price ....

Personally I stay away from second hand unless I know their provenance, here we get only the worse crap from the "first world", so you are more likely to end up with square/deformed tires (had this happening twice already), or just old pieces of fossilized rubber.

Too risky considering only a small patch holds you to the ground, as mentioned above ....

Posted (edited)

The thing is I give my take off tyres to my friend the tyre fitter.  So 4 Michelin Primacy 4 with under 500 miles went to his stock for passing on cheaply or free from the New Corsa electric.  Then less than 500 miles Goodyear Eagle F1,s that were taken off the electric MINI ASAP as well.   Actually they should have been binned and not given to our worse enemy.   Hot road surfaces tyres only IMO.    On my BMW 520 diesel estate with pretty wide 20" tyres front and wider rears it has had 3 new tyres in just the past year.  Pothole damage.   Good enough traction and correct load / speed rating. Under £100 fitted in either size.  Not run flats which are from £250 to over £300 each.    (The MINI electric is now on new Alloys and Maxxis AP3 all seasons and that was under £900 for the package delivered.  From Mytyres)

Edited by Ootohere