Coasting & ECO Mode

Hi All, 

In my recently acquired 2019 ,2020 model 190BHP DSG Superb, the only time I can avail of coasting is when I am in ECO mode and when I don't use ACC. Would this be correct ?

My colleague that recently sold his 2016 version of the same car swears he could do something similar but in Normal mode also? He is also convinced that he could drive it in coasting mode, but the clutch would be engaged and still powering the car slightly.

Can anyone confirm what mine is doing is correct ? And that my colleague was imagining that the clutch was engaged and powering his car whilst coasting ? 

As far as I know, and based on my car only, coasting is only available in ECO. I've never experienced it in Normal.

11 minutes ago, JR RS said:

In my 2017 Superb with DSG, Coasting was only in ECO driving mode.

ECO mode also disables ACC.

Interesting, in mine in ECO mode I can have ACC activated , but the car won't coast. Unless I tap the stalk back a bit, same as tapping the breaks. 

I have the same, 2019 face lift and it has only ever coasted in eco without any cruise control active. 

• Like 1

Eco mode gives you the ability to coast but acc deactivates this feature because it’ll slow the car down using engine braking and brakes. With acc disabled and you go down a hill your car will just free fall

Basically your car is fine :) 

2 hours ago, defsix said:

Interesting, in mine in ECO mode I can have ACC activated , but the car won't coast. Unless I tap the stalk back a bit, same as tapping the breaks. 

Sorry, I meant to say ACC disables the Coasting function.

ACC still works in ECO driving mode.

The plot thickens! 

I'm debating whether to add it or not via VCDS. I believe it's an option somewhere. 

For my daily journey, up 3 gradual hills and down 3 gradual hills I do like it , if I can calculate the optimal speed to crest the top of the hill, the longest I can coast is over 3Km If I remember correctly. This is over a 30km journey one way. I'm definitely coasting for 25% of the journey. What causes problems is other road users either going too slow or speeding up and slowing down all the time.

My lowest consumption on a daily journey was 57.65MPG or 4.9L/100KM.

What are others thoughts on this? Do many of you use the coasting? Would you like it on the Normal profile too, not just the Eco?

6 hours ago, Dieselgate said:

Mine is a 2022 model and it definitely has also coasted in Normal mode as well as Eco.

So the revs drop to idle when you take your foot off the accelerator? You’re absolutely sure?

6 hours ago, Dieselgate said:

It doesn't happen nearly so much though.

Ahhhhhh, so you have a sentient DSG box too? When does it decide to coast - when it’s tired or just really hot? 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, defsix said:

Do many of you use the coasting? Would you like it on the Normal profile too, not just the Eco?

Yes, I do and yes, it really does improve mpg.

Posted (edited)

Go with like by like as in a 2019/ 2020 2.0 litre with the same DSG. 

Post WLTP Vertification.

Forget what earlier ones by a year or 2, or 3  Some being Pre-WLTP Certification.

& also ones that might have and 1,6 TDi,s with DQ200 DSG.

Edited by Ootohere

On my MY18, built in octobre 2017, it only coasts in ECO mode. Coasting is not available in Normal mode.

Only reporting my modest experience, not affirming anything on MY19.

However it can give an idea on what can really be expected from colleague's MY16, can't it?... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, defsix said:

What are others thoughts on this? Do many of you use the coasting? Would you like it on the Normal profile too, not just the Eco?

I personally hate Coasting because there is no speed control and i end up with a runaway car that is over speeding!!

Because I'm over speeding, I have to hit the brakes to slow it down.  But as soon as i hit the brakes, Coasting stops and the engine goes into gear.

So wats the point!?!!?

Annoying and frustrating.

So I never bother with ECO mode at all.

• Like 1

The point is the choice is there and if it works for you you can use it. 

Strange that you over speed when all it does is keeping you rolling along.  If on a descent then you can have control as you want and plenty do not use brake pedals.

I have never had coasting enabled and  having any vehicle with it running away and i do not touch the brake pedal to engage gear, i touch the accelerator and if i want to change down a gear use the shifter or the paddles.    Semi Automatic / DSG,s.   Simply clever and gives choices. 

11 hours ago, numskull said:

So the revs drop to idle when you take your foot off the accelerator? You’re absolutely sure?

Ahhhhhh, so you have a sentient DSG box too? When does it decide to coast - when it’s tired or just really hot? 

Yes absolutely certain - tbf I almost always use Eco mode rather than Normal so perhaps it would coast more in Normal if I actually used the mode more!

I haven't really noticed what seems to trigger it coasting in Normal.

2016. Mk3 220ps DSG6 coasted only in E

2023. Mk3.FL 280ps DSG7 coasts also in D (by default, i coded this off)

i prefer braking by engine and in rare cases activate coasting manually by move DSG leaver to N

• Like 1

Seems to be a heated topic ! Pros and cons to this coasting feature! 

I've had second thoughts about adding coasting to the Normal profile, I'll keep it jist for Eco. 

But this brings up my next question. How do you get the car to remember which driving profile you used the last time, and to return to this when you restart the car!

3 hours ago, defsix said:

How do you get the car to remember which driving profile you used the last time

My old bus remembers so not a problem I have.

18 hours ago, defsix said:

Do many of you use the coasting?

I use it all the time, great fun. I does help that I've got a couple of long downhills on the way home and often overtake when coasting.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, defsix said:

Seems to be a heated topic ! Pros and cons to this coasting feature! 

I've had second thoughts about adding coasting to the Normal profile, I'll keep it jist for Eco. 

But this brings up my next question. How do you get the car to remember which driving profile you used the last time, and to return to this when you restart the car!

Hi,

The driving profil is only partially remembered. At least for my MY18 (built in octobre 2017), the engine and gearbox are systematically reset to normal mode at each start, though the previous mode is still displyed on my Columbus screen.

I had asked to my local dealer at the beginning of my ownership (from new). They showed me a Skoda intern notice saying this is the default setting and for safety reasons. But I don't know if it can be tuned.

Thus, you have to press the MODE button and make the 'complete loop' again to get back to the previous mode.

Edited by Bap33

On a 2023 L&K TDI the car coasts all the time. I wished I could easily code it out. I prefer a degree of engine breaking.On my last S2 I did coast  by going into N.