Untaxed vehicles.

I've just reported one of my neighbours to dvla for keeping 2 untaxed vehicles on the road, one expired may 05 and the other september 05. He uses both on a regular basis. I have very good reason to believe that as neither is taxed then they are probably not insured or mot'd, possibly not even registered at his address.

Once the dvla have sent an officer to make an official sighting of the vehicles what will happen next? Do the dvla have the powers to remove the vehicles?

In experience nothing happens. I have the DVLA site bookmarked so every time the g*ts change their car again I can report it within 24 hours of spotting it. I've reported > 10 vehicles this year alone and they just rotate them. No tax, and several of them wouldn't pass MOT on visible stuff alone..

Ive always taxed my car and people who dont bother,annoy me to say the least

But reporting people to the authorities is a too Big Brother for me

The police and traffic wardens should do the job

Not have the proliteriate grassing each other up

Ive always taxed my car and people who dont bother' date='annoy me to say the least

Not have the proliteriate grassing each other up[/quote']

Sod that.

Grass 'em up I say. Why should they get away with not paying when the rest of us have to pay up.

Police and Traffic wardens can't be everywhere.

I pay enough tax(car tax included) to expect the state to do a decent job

Not rake in all the money then say

''oh can you all police yourselves''

The cheek of it

Not have the proliteriate grassing each other up

I can understand your sentiment on this, but where do you, or anyone else, draw the line on what form of law-breaking you consider worthy of reporting and what not?

Untaxed car?

Fly-tipping building waste?

Somebody breaking into your neighbours house?

If everyone had the apathetic attitude of, 'It's the Police's job' everytime they noticed a law being broken or something suspicious you'd soon end up with anarchy.

I know what you mean

But

The goverment seems to have more hotlines for grassing up people than actual law enforcers

Im off to grass the bloke up down the road,who has no car tax,is working on the side,claiming invalidity benefit and doesnt keep his garden tidy:thumbup:

I know what you mean

But

The goverment seems to have more hotlines for grassing up people than actual law enforcers

Im off to grass the bloke up down the road' date='who has no car tax,is working on the side,claiming invalidity benefit and doesnt keep his garden tidy:thumbup:[/quote']

Good move - it might stop what happened to one of the members on here....

PICT0080.JPG

See this thread

Having No tax doesnt make you a worse driver

Dont get me wrong,I think the people who drive around with no tax and insurance are complete *******

but the goverments fix seems to be to open a phone line to grass people up

instead of stamping on the problem by using their law enforcment agencies

or perish the thought,scrapping it and putting the charge on fuel

or even worse...doing away with car tax alltogether

But no

they bleed us dry then tell us to do the policing for them

I assume that was an octavia wasn't it? F*cking devestating impact to do that much damage.

I think anyone who drives without insurance should be imprissioned unless they ahve a really really good genuine mistake. However since insurance companies give you a few days grace most the time to get the new policy in place I just think bang them up.

As for no MOT, dangerous for everyone, not just the driver or the vehicle in question, and not payinng tax, well if you can't pay it take the bus!

Take the cars of these people and crush them with the drivers and their mates who are happy to go around without it.

I thought the whole 'no tax' issue was much more difficult to get away with these days, now that there's an automated system in place? I was under the impression that if you didn't renew or declare SORN within 14 days of expiry you were automatically fined?

I don't agree with the sentiments above at all either. If they can't be bother to tax the car, then what else can't they be bothered to do? Insure it probably :mad:

Steve

All blatant tax dodgers should be shot in the face, that includes road tax, income tax, any tax. We are paying for tax dodgers, amongst other pointless things.

Scum

I was under the impression that if you didn't renew or declare SORN within 14 days of expiry you were automatically fined?

Steve

yes that is true. but it usually takes longer than 14 days.

but what happens if the car isn't registered to the current owner?? the sort of people who don't bother to tax thier car also don't bother to register it in their own name.

some nugget parked a car outside my mates house..4 bald tyres not tax, no windscreen wipers, and no side windows front or rear...cant have been mot's as it was blatantly unfit to be on the road....

we reported it to the police and about 4 hours later they turned up had one look at it and got on the radio..20 minutes later that they were picking it up with a crane and putting it on the back of a flatbed.....when the owner of the vehicle spotted what was happening he came out and had a go at them...so they asked if it was his vehicle..he said yes..they asked how it had come to be there..he said he had driven it there...they then asked to see the MOT and insurance for the car as he had just admitted to driving it....

he had neither...oh dear

yes that is true. but it usually takes longer than 14 days.

but what happens if the car isn't registered to the current owner?? the sort of people who don't bother to tax thier car also don't bother to register it in their own name.

Exactly! This is the reason i decided to do the deed. The fact that his tax disc expired 05/05 makes me think the car is not even registered in his name or at that address. This also makes me think that he has no insurance and most likely no MOT. If he has no MOT is the car really safe to be on the road? i doubt it! The fact that he has 2 untaxed vehicles that he uses alternately and are probly both uninsured and un mot'd makes it even worse.

When I sold my 205 many moons ago I got a letter through the post pointing out that I hadn't taxed the car. Bit difficult when you don't own it anymore :rolleyes: Anyway, it seems the new owner hadn't bothered to tax it and for some reason it came back on me :confused:

How do you report untaxed cars? My neighbour thrashes around in an untaxed, uninsured ****heap and inevitably someone else is going to pay.

Called the Met, but they didn't care. 'Got to catch him driving it' even though it's parked on the road.