Skip to content

1.6 TDi Greenline glow plug replacement

Featured Replies

I got an emissions system warning light on a trip to Prague recently on my 186,000 mileage 2016 Skoda Superb 1.6 TDi Greenline. The car drove fine, all the way back to London.

My diagnostics tablet indicated a glow plug fault on Cylinder 1. When I clear the fault it returns within a day or two, usually after a cool morning start.

I already have torque wrenches, a socket set, a set of large circlip pliers and penetrating oil.

This morning I've ordered a Bosch glow plug (BOS0250403009) from GSF, as well as a Wolfbox MF100 battery electric air blower and and Liqui Moly glow plug grease from ebay.

I'll be using the circlip pliers to help remove the electrical connection. And a combination of penetrating oil and a torque wrench and a hot engine and patience over a few days to remove the old glow plug.

Fingers crossed that this will be a straight-forward DIY job...

I would reconsider the glow plug grease. You'll get mixed reports if you should use it. It comes out of the factory without and using it changes torque settings.

I did one recently and was prepared for the worst, but once cracked, it was finger tight. I did leave it soaking in wd40 for a few days though. You can use a multimeter to check it for continuity first, just in case it’s the cable:

Congrats on it not being cylinder 3 btw.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 1

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.