Help - Anyone know the law????

Pythix

As a well educated lot I was wondering if any of you could help with a little legal matter I have going on.

Not to bore everyone with the nitty-gritty of it all (unless you feel it's necessary for a solution), here it is:

Someone has an 'objection' to my family and is repeatedly putting car windows through, slashing tyres, bricks at car paintwork and bricks at house windows. I have installed a multi-camera CCTV system that now covers all approaches to the house, 'they' can not get near without being seen. However, maybe because of this the direction of the events has moved to my Grandparents, and understandably this is taking it to entire new level. So now there are multiple properties being targetted, also including my Brother's house.

What can we do??? To get an injunction we first have to have several sightings , and then we have to catch him at it afterwards!!!! Any legal gurus, people had the same experience??? Anyone...please, this is making people very ill with worry.

I appreciate any advice, anything.

Cheers

Be very careful with getting photo's etc if you was going to try. People don't like it and if they are using a knife to slash the tyres, there are plenty of other places a knife can go. Be careful.

Do you all live very close by to each other? If so, ask to make an appointment with your local PCSO, its their job to be a Community Support Officer, hence their title. Maybe they could make sure that their round includes your houses for a while and all damage is reported just after it happens, you never know, they may see it happening and they are classed I believe as an 'expert witness' should 'they' be caught and are in front of a court. Just an idea to try.

Thanks for those replies, I especially like the last one!!!!

The PCSO has been round but there is nothing they can do, or are willing to do. The injunction idea came from them but it's the proof before/proof after that lets it down.

The main house is about 1km from the other two, who are a couple of streets apart. My Grandparents are now wired for vision too, so will have to see.

The cuplrit lives around the corner from the other two, so is a little close for comfort for them.

He is a complete coward when you confront him, then chooses to hide in the shadows and throw things and then skuttle off.

I just want a solution that will keep him away, and not go to his level to do it.

Any other opinions????

Don't know anything about the relevant law, but hope you get it sorted... this sort of thing sucks... can't understand some people....

I wouldn't have the heart to attach pictures of the Octy as she looks now :( All those years of taking care of it, washing and polishing........looks like it was never looked after now, after the windscreen, rear screen, passenger window, brick on bonnet and brick on the roof, not to mention half my Milotec grills disappearing.

I think it's appalling that someone can continue to get away with something like this.

I've had neighbour problems before and that was stressful enough. Nothing like this sort of level though.

Shame you can't resort to the shotgun option :(

Hope you manage to get something done.

I think report everything that has happened so far to the police, then see a solicitor. Surely you can petition the court for some sort of order, like a private-sector ASBO? Find the lie of the land legally, then consider punishment beatings etc :thumbup:

You should NOT have to deal with this on your own. Without knowing (or wanting to know) the precise circumstances there are several steps you might wish to consider.

Go back to the police. If your local constable is not being as helpful as you think he might be then ask to speak to his sergeant. Ask what action under the Protection from Harassment Act of 1997 they might consider taking.

You cannot apply for an ASBO (Anti Social Behaviour Order) as an individual. They are invariably obtained by your local council acting in partnership with the police. Speak to the council executive responsible (the council switch-board should know who the individual is).

If you want background advice there is a website for 'Neighbours from Hell' - www.nfh.org.uk

If you want more informal advice, try Citizens Advice Bureau.

If all else fails, get your local councillor or MP briefed and they should be able to assist. Names and numbers avasilable from your local library.

Above all else: Don't let it rule your entire life. And DO NOT risk safety. There are official ways to deal with these situations and let the professionals use their expertise.

Hope the situation is resolved quickly.

I wouldn't sink to his level. Level of skulking and that I mean ;). One swift movement, group of lads, "I leave this bit blank to leave it to imagination", then I don't think you'd suffer anymore.

Sad to think this is the state we have to resort to nowadays. Glad I live somewhere I'll never get this kind of issue. :)

I wouldn't sink to his level. Level of skulking and that I mean ;). One swift movement' date=' group of lads, [b']"I leave this bit blank to leave it to imagination", [/b]then I don't think you'd suffer anymore.

Sad to think this is the state we have to resort to nowadays. Glad I live somewhere I'll never get this kind of issue. :)

Maybe ask for Vern's assistance ? ;)

Unfortunately the police can rarely help with these things because they are so caught up in red tape etc. One of the advantages of living in Northern Ireland is that a word in the right persons ear will result in the culprit losing use of his legs for a while (so I hear lol).

Make sure your CCTV has date and time showing on it, then it can be used as evience in court as IIRC it isn't much use without this.

Only solution i can suggest is to put discrete cctv at all the properties and then once you have caught them in the act give copies of the tapes to the police and get a lawyer onto them if they don't start doing things.

I wouldn't sink to his level. Level of skulking and that I mean ;). One swift movement' date=' group of lads, [b']"I leave this bit blank to leave it to imagination", [/b]then I don't think you'd suffer anymore.

:iagree: :D

Make sure your CCTV has date and time showing on it' date=' then it can be used as evience in court as IIRC it isn't much use without this.

Only solution i can suggest is to put discrete cctv at all the properties and then once you have caught them in the act give copies of the tapes to the police and get a lawyer onto them if they don't start doing things.[/quote']

copies being the key - make sure you keep the original safe in case anything goes missing. And make sure anything you keep is well hidden. I've heard of instances where people have had their houses ransacked in order to recover evidence.

I downloaded a program from t'internet a while back that date and time stamps recordings from a webcam (like they do in banks, shops etc). Was a freebie, I'll try and look out the name of it.

Can sympathise with you, my parents moved into a new village over a year ago and have been the target of vandals almost every weeknd since. ASBO wasn't an option as they didn;t have names of the perpetrators due to being new to the area. It sucks.

Out of interest why are you being picked on?? Do you know

As an aside If you are 100% certain who it is & the Police arent able to help do some research locally & eventually you will find someone who "knows someone" who can have a word in his ear & if he choose to carry on then return & persuade him to stop !! Ring a few of the smaller security firms in the yellow pages or chat with bouncers on pub doorways. 99.99 % wont be able to help but odds are they know a man who can

Kind of nice if it happens whilst you are miles away with a concrete aliby as well !!

I'm always never at home;) Not seen Vern around for a while!!!

Without the nitty-gritty, kid sister's ex, sis wants out, so we do a night run and she's back home....end of, or so we thought. That was the new year.

Some good advice, will look at all of these with an open mind, even get all going simultaneuosly!!!

Many Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated. If anything else comes to mind I will be watching!!!!

Ta

/P

Get a solicitor. I believe, given the history, you should be able to get a civil non-contact/anti-harrassment order. It should not cost a 'great' deal and from what I understand you don't need much proof. The relationship history and the list of incidents should be enough. I believe an order can specify that he is to stay 50yards or whatever from particular addresses/locations. May be difficult if he is very local though? Regardless, if he breaks this, it is a criminal matter, you can call the Police immediately - you don't have to actually catch him damaging your property.

If you follow any of the 'punishment' advice (even if it is a joke) you will be in trouble, as will the people who have incited you on here. If the Police can be bothered to track down people that boast about getting out of speeding tickets dishonestly......

Good luck.

Hi

Flats where we moved into a few years ago had serious vandalism problems that the police and council had been unable to remedy. These problems were solved quickly and efficiently by education of the offending individuals using "persuation". Problem solved and said offenders were then polite and courteous when they saw usin the street as well:)

In this situation, I would keep it legal as the links from you to this individual are too strong. However, if he was involved in an accident, then who cares?

Chris

The key factor is the burden of proof, which means that you must be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt in court, who the perpetrator is. The CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) will not take action unless they are 75% and above, sure that they can secure a conviction. Idealy you need a witness, photographic or video evidence, which clearly shows the perpetrator, and I must stress clearly! Without such evidence you are unlikely to succeed.

Ste W