Fabia VRS 20000 Mile Service

My understanding is that as long as you service the car the 1st 2 years of the warranty (the Skoda bit) will be valid. The third year is paid for by the dealers (I think) and they won't honour that if you don't have the car serviced by a Skoda dealer.

I called my garage Alex Lawrie today and they said that it is a 3 year manufacturers warrenty which stands for three years as long as Skoda Approved parts are used and it doesnt affect the warrenty in any way.

That is correct, they also have to be VAT registered.

...The third year is paid for by the dealers (I think) and they won't honour that if you don't have the car serviced by a Skoda dealer.

That would actually be illegal. As long as the garage is VAT registered and they use Skoda parts you'll be fine.

That would actually be illegal. As long as the garage is VAT registered and they use Skoda parts you'll be fine.

Why do you think it's illegal? The 1st and 2nd years of the warranty are by Skoda-Auto and you can have the car serviced anywhere, using their parts. Skoda-Auto UK add a 3rd year to the warranty, which may be paid for by dealers paying into an insurance policy fund. If that is the case then it would not be illegal for the dealers to make it a pre-condition that you used a Skoda dealer to have your car serviced. They are paying for the protection. That is definitely how the Volkswagen warranty used to work.

Also - I think you'll have a much harder time with warranty claims if you use a non-franchised dealer. How do you prove it was the right oil etc.?

And, if you are really honest, if you were buying a new-ish car second hand and you looked at the service log, wouldn't you rather it was a Skoda franchised dealer that was stamping up the book?

My recent 20000 service came in at £217 with a set of Skoda rubber mats, and a Skoda chipkit from Lightcliffe Skoda Huddersfield. Good value I would say.

The car was washed (badly!) vacuumed and a courtesy car provided.

• 1 year later...