Cheap GENUINE copy of XP needed.. ideas?

Tom_vRS

Where can I buy the cheapest genuine copy of XP?

Was thinking the OEM one from Novatech' date=' but do you have to buy it with hardware?[/quote']

Yes you need to either buy a whole machine or enough components to make up a pc.

These are the words from Novatech.

"In order to comply with the terms of the licence this software must be bought with a qualifying non-peripheral hardware component, such as a hard drive, motherboard, memory, CPU, etc."

A tenner will get you 32 mb of edo ram. Job done.;)

"In order to comply with the terms of the licence this software must be bought with a qualifying non-peripheral hardware component' date=' such as a hard drive, motherboard, memory, CPU, etc."

A tenner will get you 32 mb of edo ram. Job done.;)[/quote']

:D

"In order to comply with the terms of the licence this software must be bought with a qualifying non-peripheral hardware component' date=' such as a hard drive, motherboard, memory, CPU, etc."

A tenner will get you 32 mb of edo ram. Job done.;)[/quote']

Hmm i know people that have been down this road before and despite what it said, it wasn't just as simple as that. Will be interested to see how you get on tho Tom.

I bought 2 OEM versions of XP from Scan, no problems. Bought a new HDD for each of them. Sorted :)

Whats their website mate?

A new HDD wouldnt be a bad idea actually, guarantees its all squeaky clean install wise then! :)

Sorry, couldn't resist! Scan are a good company btw, I'm sure they'll sort you out.

As above - I've never had any trouble buying OEM software when accompanied with a hard drive purchase, from Scan - and others.

Steve

I don't condone copies at all but I know someone ;) who has a copied streamlined SP2 with every conceivable extra from the god of modifying Windows XP; RyanVM (google search him).

It is better than any OEM copy, you'll never get ANY WGA notifications and it's much faster as it has every conceivable XP tweak and the latest chipset drivers for just about everything. It even works perfectly on Microsoft Update.

Give me a shout if your interested and i'll get someone to contact you :D

I couldn't be bothered to faff about and bought a Microsoft Action Pack for £199 :(

;)

Includes the following:

Product Title, No. of licences, No. of CALs

Microsoft Business Contact Manager Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, 10, Not Applicable

Microsoft Business Solutions CRM 3.0 Small Business Edition, 10, Not Applicable

Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Standard , 1, 10

Microsoft ISA Server 2004 , 1, 10

Microsoft ISA Service Pack 1 Multilingual Pack Not Applicable

Microsoft Live Communication Server 2005, 1, 10

Microsoft MapPoint*, 1, 1

Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003, 10, Not Applicable

Microsoft Office InfoPath 2003, 10, Not Applicable

Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003, 10, Not Applicable

Microsoft Office Project Professional 2003, 10, Not Applicable

Microsoft Office Project Server 2003, 1, Not Applicable

Microsoft Office SharePoint Portal Server 2003, 1, 10

Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2003, 10, Not Applicable

Microsoft OneNote 2003, 10, Not Applicable

Microsoft Operations Manager 2005 Workgroup Edition, 10, Not Applicable

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition SP1, 1, 10

Microsoft Virtual PC 2004, 10, Not Applicable

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition including Service Pack 1, 1, 10

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Web Edition , 1, Not Applicable

Microsoft Windows Sharepoint Services Standard 2003 , 1, Not Applicable

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition including Service Pack 1, 1, 10

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition including Service Pack 2, 10, Not Applicable

Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, 10, Not Applicable

Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition, 10, Not Applicable

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition, 10, Not Applicable

Not bad! :D All legit, not timebombed and means myself and the people who work for me are all fully licenced :thumbup:

I couldn't be bothered to faff about and bought a Microsoft Action Pack for £199 :(

;)

Yep.

A very good deal , thats if you qualify.

Bear in mind that that is theoretically 200 quid each year , but in practice quite a few people buy the subscription for a year then don't renew. The software will all happily carry on working and activating

I renew every other year. The only real benefit to renewing is that for the 12 month period they send you any updates/upgardes.

Just think you need to be a company of some description, not even VAT registered although if you aren't it'll cost you 199+VAT but it is still cheaper than buying XP Pro, Office Pro, Publisher, Visio, Project etc especially if you have more than 1 machine :D

You have to be a business that meets the following condition - "You can subscribe to the Action Pack if your organisation sells Microsoft products, or provides solutions based on Microsoft products and technologies to third-party customers. You'll need to be a Registered Member of the Microsoft Partner Programme in order to subscribe to the Action Pack or to renew your subscription."

It's a fairly wooly description and isn't actually checked , though the licences wouldn't be valid if you didn't meet the requirements.

If you sell PCs that you have made to friends and wanted the AP subscription for your own use that would be fine.

If you were a plumber then it wouldn't.

A while back , people were selling the link to the subscription page on ebay!