• 80 mph
    • 90 mph
    • 100 mph
    • Unlimited

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing no-one has mentioned is that even though cars are able to stop in a much shorter distance nowadays, there are also significantly more cars on the road.....

On the subject of night time driving, I read an interesting comment on another forum about PC Milton's escapades which stated that standard headlights (on dip beam) are limited by law to first castdown (i.e. where the unreflected beam reaches) of the order of 45 metres and that the total quoted stopping distance from 70mph (31m/s) is almost double that at 96m!

Chris

Who said 40? :eek: :rofl:

:wavey:

Most days I'm lucky to average 40 on my drive to work :(

As a little experiment I tried driving like a lorry, maximum of 60 all the way to work rather than my usual go with the flow ie somewhere between 40 and 90. Guess how much difference it made? 6 minutes or near enough the same time (I drive 72 miles each way to work) ie sod all difference.

Then you take in to account the tw@s on the road, most aren't safe at anything over 40 anyway :grumpy:

Another vote for 80 from me - but I think that condition based variable limits are the best way.

This is all academic though, the green lobby are pressing for a lower speed limit to reduce emissions and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it reduced to 60 which also has the effect of reducing congestion.

On the subject of night time driving' date=' I read an interesting comment on another forum about PC Milton's escapades which stated that standard headlights (on dip beam) are limited by law to first castdown (i.e. where the unreflected beam reaches) of the order of 45 metres and that the total quoted stopping distance from 70mph (31m/s) is almost double that at 96m!

Chris[/quote']

i think in reallity most modern carc can stop in a distance fas less than 96m at 70mph but you do make a very valid point about stopping distances and how far you car acutually see when driving on the motorway at night. most people will say "well you an see other cars lights" but that happens if sombody has broken down and thier lights have fused??? if your driving at speed you'd be right on top of them before you had time to see them.

Oh and I have deliberately nudged someone in the past. He spun his nice new Cooper S Works in to the gravel. He then had the cheek to complain about my driving to the steward :rolleyes: Shame the steward then decided that if he hadn't been driving like a **** and held me up I wouldn't have given him a love tap. He got banned from the trackday and I was allowed to continue for the rest of it :rofl:

I think personally variable from 50/60 to 90/100 depending on weather and traffic conditions.

Get more traffic police and have them properly deal with:

- Middle lane captains.

- Tailgaters.

- To$$ers who think it is their right to pull in from a slip road and that you should stop for them.

Sorry, couldn't be bothered reading through the whole thread, so if i'm repeating someone, I apologise.

Most of Europe use only two lanes, with three lanes in areas of high traffic flow, ie passing major cities and towns. In order to keep one, or two lanes where applicable free from congestion, some countries ban trucks from overtaking at certain times of day. They also ban overtaking on some hills at all times. PITA if you are a truck driver, but on the whole, purely because of this, they have 80 mph speed limits, and deristricted in Germany time/conditions permitting.

With the massive volume of trucks on our roads, maybe a no overtaking policy at peak times would help. If people know that trucks wont suddenly pull out, they might be more inclined to use the middle lane.

As for speed limits, 20 in town centres, deristricted on country lanes, and time/condition variable speed limits on the motorways. I usually cruise at 90+ off peak with no problems.

With the massive volume of trucks on our roads, maybe a no overtaking policy at peak times would help. If people know that trucks wont suddenly pull out, they might be more inclined to use the middle lane.

I think this would certainly help. Is it in Germany where they're not permitted to use the roads during rush hours?

Chris

Its all to do with lane discipline on the whole. In Germany the outer lanes are only used to overtake. The lane discipline is very very good. A car rarely overtakes and stays there. This leaves the outside lane largely free for some very fast motoring. In this country. Lane discipline is so bad that its downright dangerous. IMO Spped is irrellevant unless you can educate the d.i.c.k. heads that clog up the lanes