2.0 PD140 vs 2.0 PD170

walkie

On a rr the 140 shows up as putting out 160bhp anyway, so you are not far off the vrs.

If you believe that then you've got to assume the vrs would have a similar margin on top so you're back to square one.

Personally I don't think it's true.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bearing in mind that young Walkie is only 21, the extra outlay on a 170bhp motor would be offset by the saving in insurance over a remapped 140..

I would need to drive them both... for example, this week ive got a mk4 GT-TDI 150 as a company hack.. and the engine is totally different to my vRS.

Its laggier, yet pulls for a bit longer when revving the nuts off it... either way i dont like it. (this has always been the issue on reviews of cars with this engine.. that real-world its only just as quick as the pd130 because of the extra lag)

The PD130 is still a fantastic engine and I would be looking at a Furby vRS for a fun diesel car. In fact thats what SWMBO has gone for so we'll be a 2 Skoda family soon ;) If you need more power then there's the obvious potential for remapping.

Not sure about motorway driving though as I only caned one around some country roads for an hour or so.

The PD130 is still a fantastic engine and I would be looking at a Furby vRS for a fun diesel car. In fact thats what SWMBO has gone for so we'll be a 2 Skoda family soon ;) If you need more power then there's the obvious potential for remapping.

Not sure about motorway driving though as I only caned one around some country roads for an hour or so.

Been there, done that ;)

Not knocking the vRS at all, great little car :thumbup:

Have you looked at the Mondeo ST TDCI? Plenty of nearly new ones for well below list, more kit than you can shake a stick at, and they're just at home on twisty B roads as they are at munching up motorway miles :D

Chris

:eek: :eek: A Ford on my driveway :eek: :eek: I hope you are joking!!!!

;):rofl: :rofl:

The 350NM figure is the max rated torque of the 02Q gearbox.

350Nm/258lb ft is the torque that the PD170 produces not the max torque of the gearbox.

I thought all 4 cylinder PD's except the 2.0 170bhp were single cam 8v? I know my 130 is in the Superb.

The PD 140 is a twin cam 16v engine mate. I have one in my Audi and a spare up at Allards in bits and they deffo have two cams and 16 valves.

Here is a bit of a teaser. Does anyone know of any 4 cylinder 16v engines with just one cam. No V8 Yankee motors! Was the Dolly Sprint such a motor??

A bit of Googling turned up the 1996 Honda Accord with a 2.2-litre, 4-cylinder single overhead cam 16-valve, 130bhp 4-cylinder engine. :D

Chris

A bit of Googling turned up the 1996 Honda Accord with a 2.2-litre, 4-cylinder single overhead cam 16-valve, 130bhp 4-cylinder engine. :D

Chris

'Googling' is cheating, or cruel to small rodents, I

No cause i read that elasewhere as well as hearing it from stu.

This way you can't take your PD170 skoda and turn it into an audi killer with a map, you need a new uprated gearbox too.

You wont be able to anyway.. well not easily.. the 170's have DPFs which get in the way of decent mapping... as they get blocked easily.

So VW put a gearbox with a stated max torque capacity load of 350NM in a car with an engine already quoted as producing 350NM from the factory? Don`t you find that a bit strange .

That may be so Mike but they are the facts that Skoda quote, can we put this debate to bed now!! -

Octavia_1Z_Gearbox_02Q.jpg