Fabia radio change

I want to change my symphony radio cassette player to a cd or mp3 player.

Is it possible to easily use a non Skoda cd player? Is the connector a standard or will I have to do some wiring myself? If it is a standard does anyone know what it is?

Also the width of the existing radio cassette seems to be wider than normal cd players, can you get blanking plates to cover up the gap?

Thanks

Martin

The connector on the back will be a standard ISO type connector. When using an aftermarket unit you normally have to swapp the permanant live and switch live around.

The OEM unit is slightly bigger than a standard DIN size however you can buy a small spacer from Skoda for a couple of ££ - Part number is on my website.

The Skoda OEM CD player connects via a Mini ISO plug.

The CD Headunit is secured by spring clips built into the headunit which lock into the dash. The CD Changer is under the front passenger seat.

When fitting a replacement Head Unit you would need to use the supplied cage.

I fitted a nice sony mp3 headunit to my fabia about six months ago. It only took 5 mins to install and it hasnt given me any problems. The above radio surround makes it look nice and tidy.You will need a set of skoda keys to get the old headunit out, i asked my dealer for a set and he gave me a set for free.

Slight threadjack here

What is the procedure for putting the Symphony back in to the car, reverting back to stock after having had an aftermarket HU in there?

In order to avoid having to phone the dealer for the code I remember some procedure along the lines of making sure the Symphony is switched off before connecting it up to the loom? Does the ignition need to be on the first setting too?

In theory all connections should be made with the -ve battery lead disconnected.

I'm no expert but I see no reason why the ECU will have lost the OEM code as long as it's the original being put back in.

I've reecently fitted a Kenwood MP3 Head unit in my Furby, but the radio reception is rubbish! I take it a Signal Booster is required? (Have done a search, but couldn't find a definitive answer)

Thanks.

I got that head unit adaptor for mine less than a month ago, they definately still make em. :)

I've reecently fitted a Kenwood MP3 Head unit in my Furby, but the radio reception is rubbish! I take it a Signal Booster is required? (Have done a search, but couldn't find a definitive answer)

Thanks.

I got that head unit adaptor for mine less than a month ago, they definately still make em. :)

Its well documented that the standard headunit has an aerial booster in it. So if you change the headunit you need to fit an inline amplifier.

Pretty cheap and easy to do.

As I listen to Radio 5 Live quite a lot I think I will need an aerial amplifier. Can you recommend an aerial amplifier.

Is it better to use the switched live for power?

Also will the amplifier actually work if it is placed just before the new CD player. I thought the amplifier needs to be at the aerial end otherwise you are amplifying the noise as well?

I've not used one but the Autoleads ones are reported to be ok.

The electrical aerial connection is the recommended I believe as it goes live when the unit is powered on.

The amplifier has nothing to do with the CD changer.

I had a problem with the aerial on our Furbie with a standard head unit and I'm pretty certain the amp is actually located in the aerial base rather than the head unit with a DC power feed down the aerial coax suplied by the headunit.

At the time I tried an in line aerial booster at the headunit end and it didn't work with the standard headunit because the aerial itself was knackered. I still have two in line amps spare if you want one for a few quid.

I think that there is an amp somewhere in the line, and it's powered by a switched live from the head-unit, so if its got no power then it'll attenuate the signal loads, and adding a further amp will probably not get the results it should do.

I might be wrong on this, I haven't looked, but I think I read it somewhere. It's fairly unlikely there is anymore of an amp in the Skoda head unit than any other.

Does someone have a full wiring diagram for the car?

The aerial base doesnt have an amp thats why when you change the headunit you need one.

Are you sure, because when I stripped it there was full circuit board and what looked like an op-amp in there!

Also, when I tried swapping radios from another fabia neither worked in my car but both in the other car which points to an aerial problem rather than headunit problem. In addition using a seperate in-line booster gave no joy either but both worked OK in the other fabia and both work fine now with a new aerial.

I have just had a look at the ISO connector on my 2001 FABIA. There is already a wire coming out of pin 5 (automatic aerial). Does this wire actually do anything? If I buy a PC5-52 amplifier/filter will I have to somehow connect these two wires together. The PC5-52 (in line amp) comes with a pin which looks like it should push into an EMPTY pin 5 location on the ISO connector. Will I have split the wire to make this connection or is there any other connection I could use. I have just bought a Sony HU which has its own harness to connect to the ISO connectors. This harness also has a spare wire called AMP REM. I think this is for an external amp. Could I use this for the power supply for the PC5-52?

Thanks

Martin

I have just checked some of the ISO wires with a multimeter. Pin 5 (automatic aerial) is +12 volts all the time (with or without the ignition key in). I removed the radio and found that it was still 12 volts i.e. the the car wiring loom is providing the 12volts. Does this seem right as I thought this pin was an OUTPUT FROM THE RADIO? Pins 5 and 7 of the ISO loom (car side) are both the same colour. Is my car different to later models (mine is 2001). If I connect the in line amplifier to pin 5 then the battery will flatten if left for long periods.

Has anyone any ideas?

I had a problem with the aerial on our Furbie with a standard head unit and I'm pretty certain the amp is actually located in the aerial base rather than the head unit with a DC power feed down the aerial coax suplied by the headunit.

That's exactly what it is. The amp is in the aerial and needs a power supply via the aerial's cable. The Skoda HUs do that themselves. With an aftermarket HU you need to provided that separately via one of these IIRC PC2-52.

Do a search, I described it in more detail a while ago. You definitely do NOT need an amplifier. That's only going to make reception worse for weak stations.

Michael

I have fitted the new radio/cd along with a signal separator (PC5-52). I have wired the blue wire from the signal separator to the Switched Supply as the automatic aerial (pin 5 on the ISO connector) is permanantly +12 volts.

I checked the old Skoda radio and there did not seem to be +12 volts on the center of the aerial out socket. It was only a quick check so I may not have had it set up correctly.