Whoosh noise from Dump valve

SCVRS

Hello,

I am new today, so please tell me if I am posting in the wrong place and I will move it accordingly! I am about to purchase a 53 reg Octy Vrs on Saturday. This will be my first Skoda and I am looking forward to it. Is there anything that I need to know or look out for??

Also I am hoping to get that special whoosh noise from the dump valve, any suggestions as to how I can do this without spendling loads??

Thanks

SCVRS

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whosh noise you're thinking of is commonly associated with atmospheric dump valves of the kin dfitted to Cosworths and Imprezas. The VAG 1.8T engine uses a recirculating valve that exhausts air back into the air filter box.

Because of this you wont get the same noise as an atmospheric valve.

You can increase the noise by adding a CAI (cold air intake) pipe in place of the air box. A search of the Octavia specific area will bring up lots of info. These range from £45 to £250 in price.

You could drill a lot of holes in the standard plastic air box but the 1.8T doesnt like drawining warm air.

Impossible Performance sell an atmospheric DV kit that will give the desired sound but it costs around £200+ It is also useless if you remap/chip the car afterwards.

The cheapest way would be to find a CAI on ebay for around £45.

Several people on here have tried them with varying results. Personaly I diddnt get on with it and flogged it within 2 days - it was just too noisy for me. Again, trawl through the Octavia section or use the advanced search function and see what you can find.

Hi

As already has been said.

If you want the noise you would need a CAI and the Forge 007P Diverter Valve

VW spent many millions of pounds coming up with the Diverter Valve , by putting an atmospheric "Dump Valve" on to the car , you could bring up warning lights and work against the engine and how it has been designed.

CAI will lower the intake temps so aid the engine , the Diverter Valve will help hold the boost a tad longer and the OEM one is quite week

Dont worry about being new , it is great on here as there is LOADS of info.

Just give us a shout if you need any more help

Sarah

Hi

As already has been said.

If you want the noise you would need a CAI and the Forge 007P Diverter Valve

VW spent many millions of pounds coming up with the Diverter Valve , by putting an atmospheric "Dump Valve" on to the car , you could bring up warning lights and work against the engine and how it has been designed.

CAI will lower the intake temps so aid the engine , the Diverter Valve will help hold the boost a tad longer and the OEM one is quite week

Dont worry about being new , it is great on here as there is LOADS of info.

Just give us a shout if you need any more help

Sarah

How does that work then, Sarah :confused:

There are certain things on the 1.8T engine that can be improved on.

Most people know that.

By removing the air box and replacing it with the CAI you will be improving the amount of air going in.Also the intake temps will be lowered.

So that will be improving.

The Air Mass Meter will then pick up on the fact that there is more air going in , so will get the Lambda probes to adjust the fuelling.

By replacing the DV for a "Dump Valve" you are altering the way that the engine runs , so then you are not working with the rest of the engine.

It can also bring on warning lights too as it will think that there is a loss in boost

Sarah

Sorry Sarah, the sticking tongue out smiley was missed off my post. However I have to disagree with you on the airbox, I think the only benefit of the CAI is the noise, performance wise I prefer the airbox but with a larger feed and have seen several vagcom logs that back this up. The standard airbox copes fine on my car which is well over 400bhp so should have no problem on a standard or remapped car.

The airbox is a compromise ... not everyone wants their car to sound like it's taking a f@rt everytime they change gear :D

I'm more than happy with the sound my car makes on the standard airbox but can also appreciate the sound benefits of a CAI and wouldn't disuade someone from buying a CAI who wants that sound, however as I've already said I don't believe they offer a performance increase.

There are certain things on the 1.8T engine that can be improved on.

Most people know that.

By removing the air box and replacing it with the CAI you will be improving the amount of air going in.Also the intake temps will be lowered.

So that will be improving.

The Air Mass Meter will then pick up on the fact that there is more air going in , so will get the Lambda probes to adjust the fuelling.

By replacing the DV for a "Dump Valve" you are altering the way that the engine runs , so then you are not working with the rest of the engine.

It can also bring on warning lights too as it will think that there is a loss in boost

Sarah

im probably wrong but i thought the Labda probes were/are for measuring exhaust emissions and only process the composition of the gasses, they cant actually adjust the fuelling, doesnt the ecu adjust the injectors as a result of the readings from the lambda probes???and a divertor/dump valve are the same thing arnt they???, do you mean changing from a recirculating dv to an atmospheric dv is bad???

I'm more than happy with the sound my car makes on the standard airbox but can also appreciate the sound benefits of a CAI and wouldn't disuade someone from buying a CAI who wants that sound, however as I've already said I don't believe they offer a performance increase.

I used to have one ... a DynaTwist thingy, but not anymore. Mine is using the standard airbox.

Besides, with the 'rather loud' noise that my exhaust makes, you'd never hear the DV "whoosh" anyway :rolleyes:

Atmospheric Valves are the one that will give you the pssst

But the Diverter valves are the ones fitted as standard.

There are 2 lamdas on the 1.8T one reads and one adjusts on that car.

I hear what your saying Eddy

We have sold loads of these and quite a few have said that the throttle response has been increased.

But I am not one to say that this is wrong....

Everyone will be different.

I have just had a Pipercross filter fitted to my car , and I can hear more noise and get better fuel economy by up to 5mpg....I dont go putting power down that quickly myself as I want fuel economy so I dont know about that myself...

But worth it to me in other ways.

Everyone is different that is why modding is good as we can do what we want to our cars.

Sarah

i hate driving cars with those atmospheric dumpys fitted, they also bring lots of unwanted collar-inspections from the law, anyway you can get ones which are part atmospheric and part recirc so that it doesn't mess with the sensors... normally you can adjust those ones too so that they only dump to atmosphere over a certain boost level which is rally handy for about town driving

a car i know of has a silly sounding rather loud twin piston DV that makes a very funny whistle type noise with light lifts and a full whosh when lifting form high rpm's, why would people drive with such things fitted :rolleyes:

i too have run logs on ym car via vag-com to test a CAI Vs. the standard airbox and saw a 3bhp increase with the standard airbox so that has stayed in place :)