Whoosh noise from Dump valve

SCVRS

i have been looking at Bailey Venturi dump valves, will these give the whoosh noise? I have heard that they will! Will these cause any problems?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no plans at all to remap the car. So you reckon that this would give me the noise I need and won't cause any issues with the engine???

I believe it is an atmospheric Dump Valve. Not too expensive either! Anyone know if they are easy to fit??

For anyone who has been following this thread, and hasn't had a delve into the mentioned parrots-fernalia (the usual suspects excepted), here's an idea of what's involved.

Mine isn't finished, the pouring rain (I had to work outside for the most part) and a lack of time meant I only got part of the job done ...

This is the standard airbox, in-situ with the top removed and the filter element removed ...

airbox1.jpg

This is the top section of the airbox, showing the mouldings that need to be cut away, and the trumpet inlet to the MAF sensor ...

airbox2.jpg

Looking toward the inner wing, this is the standard inlet to the airbox, which should be connected to the inner wing with a plastic connector piece (missing from mine :rolleyes: ) ...

airbox3.jpg

I enlarged the opening to the box, using a piece of plastic pipe that is the same size as the Green flexible ducting that I bought from JBS ...

airbox4.jpg

This shows the utside of the airbox. Not particularly beautiful, but airtight, and you can't see it once it's back on the car. I used Araldite Rapid, but Gripfill or the like would probably do the same job ...

airbox5.jpg

This is the 'pipe' I used ... a downpipe connector, bought at the local builders merchants. Just the right diameter ...

airbox6.jpg

The airbox back in the car, with the Green Cotton panel filter in place ...

airbox7.jpg

The whole thing back together again ...

airbox8.jpg

I haven't connected the hose onto the airbox yet, or cut the mouldings out. I'll leave that until it's not raining quite so heavily :)

I've only driven the car down the road since I did it, so it's too early to tell if there's any difference at all, but I'm hoping to get the ducting connected at the weekend, so that the car is sucking colder air, rather than hot underbonnet air as it is at the moment.

I've just got rid of a Carbonio CAI as I'm putting the car back to standard. I've left the Hyperboost HX DV in place as the OEM Bosch one was sh!t. I've had the standard airbox re-fitted with standard air filter.

Differences?

Lack of midrange torque.

Less Turbo lag

Smoother more consistant accelleration (although I probably needed to clean the racing filter)

Significantly quieter. Infact too damn quiet IMHO. the Octy is not the same car without the CAI. :(

I've just got rid of a Carbonio CAI as I'm putting the car back to standard. I've left the Hyperboost HX DV in place as the OEM Bosch one was sh!t. I've had the standard airbox re-fitted with standard air filter.

Differences?

Lack of midrange torque.

Less Turbo lag

Smoother more consistant accelleration (although I probably needed to clean the racing filter)

Significantly quieter. Infact too damn quiet IMHO. the Octy is not the same car without the CAI. :(

That's interesting - the CAI increases lag?

That's interesting - the CAI increases lag?

For me it certainly does. With the CAI fitted there was a definite pregnant pause before the power cut in. However, when the power eventually does come in, I think there's more of it, and a definite increase of it. Not a significant increase in power, but as I've now removed the CAI, I can tell that there's not as much mid range punch.

I suspect the extra mid range torque is only perceived as been there due to less low end torque hence the lag and why it feels to come in stronger but in reality is just getting upto the same level. The lag with the CAI is because the airbox provides a 'resevoir' of air waiting for the turbo to suck it up, with a CAI at has to suck this air from the atmosphere and through a long pipe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I finished fitting the ducting to mine today (it finally stopped raining!).

I'm taking the car to Birmingham on Saturday, so I'll get a chance to see whether there's any noticable difference in performance.

So what did you find out ?? Spent all that time to read all over this thread and finally found no answer :-) :thumbup: :eek:

Fitted my Carbonio a couple of weeks ago and I'm not overly impressed to be honest.

The noise is kinda cool when you lift off at over 3000 revs - especially in a multi-storey carpark!

Maybe I have another issue but when accelerating at lower revs the car feels like it's holding back. Then the boost kicks in.

Is this normal or do you reckon I have a boost leak somewhere?

• 5 months later...
This is the 'pipe' I used ... a downpipe connector, bought at the local builders merchants. Just the right diameter ...

airbox6.jpg

Just to revive an old thread; is the pipe 68mm? That seems to be the nearest match at B&Q for the Green ducting. I've got my wife to buy it anyway as it was only a couple of quid and it's something I want to sort this weekend.

On a very accurate rolling road. Impossible Performance's ABD CAI made a good different on a standard Octavia vRS. 185hp, and a nice well held curve. 5 up on standard figures.

Even with a standard dump valve, coming off the throttle is very loud, but changing it to a Forge or Bailey's valve will be even louder.

Now got this sorted. Did it slightly differently to HongKongPhooey as I didn't like how the pipe reduced the internal diameter so I cut that section off and then pretty much did the same. The cold feed pipe jubilee clips onto the pipe nicely and it all looks much neater now as well as been a little quieter due to the better seal.

I'm more than happy with the sound my car makes on the standard airbox but can also appreciate the sound benefits of a CAI and wouldn't disuade someone from buying a CAI who wants that sound, however as I've already said I don't believe they offer a performance increase.

I've got a carbonio air filter fitted, supplied by Awesome. after fitting it on my standard octavia Vrs along with a Forge DV I noticed more throttle response & it felt like it pulled harder. This was all backed up when I went to the Briskoda rolling day at Awesome last Nov & was told it produced 190 at the fly.

HI Mate

We sell loads of these and I lurve them to bits

They look cracking , sound great , better throttle response and a bit better bhp

The only down side I have found is , they dont do one for my car :(

Thank you for that , that shows that a gain can be found

Take care

Sarah