Just a road somewhere in Wales

will_

I took this a couple of years ago somewhere in south Wales with a Canon PowerShot S30. It was a lovely little camera until it got squashed into a rucksack a bit too hard one day. I've since replaced it with a PowerShot S2 IS which I love even more!

The camera was on one of those little flexible tripods, resting on the car door, and the exposure was 10 seconds long. I took a few others, too, but none was as crisp as this.

What d'ya think?

I've got a shot of a bolt of lightning on my other computer I'll dig up some time.

-Will.

where was that taken? I think I recognise it!

I can't actually remember exactly where it was. I think it was somewhere between Cardiff and Merthyr Tydfil, not too far from the A470.

A little pottering around multimap.com has led me to believe it may have been on the A469 near Thornhill, just south of Caerphilly. I think I was parked in the entrance to the northerly footpath at grid reference ST 158 851, here, with the camera pointing south down the road.

Can anybody who knows the area verify my suspicions?

Love the pic!

I've got a shot of a bolt of lightning on my other computer I'll dig up some time.

Awesome! :thumbup:

How do you photograph lightning? I one got a vid of some then took a still from it. Would love to take a pic tho

Not bad for a compact, not many dropped pixels at all, not sure on your white balance thought, great picture otherwise!

I wasn't sure about the white balance at first but on reflection I think it's about right: The road is illuminated yellow by the street lights but the oncoming car's headlights are white. I can't remember what the setting was but all the other settings I tried looked a lot worse! I seem to remember that attempting to compensate for the yellow hue did nasty things to the light trails.

By the way, what is a dropped pixel?

How do you photograph lightning?

Pop the camera on a tripod, leave the shutter open for a good long time and cross your fingers. I left mine open for 10 seconds at a time - any longer and it would take

ages to accumulate all the samples and save the image. I also used the self timer on its shortest setting (2 seconds) to remove wobble caused by me actually pressing the shutter. I took about 30 shots of which 3 or 4 captured lightning. I'll post them here when I remember to find them! :)

uh-oh! they're talking giga-flops and pixel-bytes again!!!!

a bit out of my depth now methinks.

My humblest apologies, Tom. :)

White balance is a setting that attempts to make white things look white, even if they are illuminated by a non-white light, such as the yellow street lamps in my photo. You'd typically have different settings for indoor house lights vs. sunshine, for example.

i'm a theatre lampy so i do understand a little bit about colour balances and colour temperatures but as far as digital camera's go i just point and click....

i got a fuji A350 from tesco for £54 and that does everything i need, but to be fair all i ever do is take pictures for ebay

I can't actually remember exactly where it was. I think it was somewhere between Cardiff and Merthyr Tydfil, not too far from the A470.

A little pottering around multimap.com has led me to believe it may have been on the A469 near Thornhill, just south of Caerphilly. I think I was parked in the entrance to the northerly footpath at grid reference ST 158 851, here, with the camera pointing south down the road.

Can anybody who knows the area verify my suspicions?

It's what I was thinking when I saw it as well (and it's only a couple of miles from my house!)

For those that want to see it in the flesh, come to the next meet - the Ffynon Wen is just along the road!