Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right, that's that out of the way...

Now, here's the link to the full story:

http://www.autoweek.nl/newsdisp.php?ID=2196&cache=no

You'd like a translation? Well, here you are:

First new Skoda Octavia picture

Skoda has just released the first picture of the completely new Octavia, which will be unveiled on March 2 at the Geneva motorshow.

The news on debuting new models is already starting to roll. Skoda has lifted a tip of the veil which until now covered the new Octavia. The car will have a length of 4.57m, a width of 1.77m, and a height of 1.46m. The hatchback version will have a 560-litre boot.

There will be a variety of engines available for the new Skoda, such as the 1.4 and 1.6 with respectively 75 and 102 hp, the 116 hp 1.6 FSI and the 150 hp 2.0 FSI. The modern 1.9 TDI and 2.0 TDI diesels (105 and 140 hp) won't miss from the line-up. More details are expected at the launch.

So, now my remarks...

- From this angle, the design looks very unbalanced and unimposing. The sedan-style rear makes it look like an Astra - I agree with you there, Geoff! I'm not very impressed...

- Looking at the overall picture I'm tempted to call this a "facelift", although I know it's based on an entirely new platform using entirely new parts. It's basically a rehash of the old style of design, with a rather sissy Fabia front...

- 560 litres of boot space! :eek:

- As expected, the initial engine line-up is not very appealing - I can't see a sports or 4x4 version hidden among those. The 2.0 TDI will be the flagship engine for now, I suspect.

Awkward is a word that comes to mind

Some parts of the design appear to ape recent Volvos but on first sight it doesn't appear to work. It's all a bit schizo - rounded shoulders and a front so sharp you could cut yourself on it...

Bit surprised at the small bonnet apeture as well :bigeyes:

Hmm, the Volvo "shoulders"... Yes, I see your point, usico! I like the original better though...

And I agree it doesn't have the current Octavia's imposing frontal area. Even with the alloys it doesn't look mean!

Hmm, the Volvo "shoulders"... Yes, I see your point, usico! I like the original better though...

I agree - new S40 is a good looking car, especially that centre console.

That'll please my Dad, compliments about a Volvo

:D

:D My initial impression when looking for simularities is Volvo & not the newest of Ovlov designs. :thumbdwn:

It has the look of being a no risk design aimed to produce a car that will sell well as the base models which unfortunately is what any volume car manufacturer must aim for so I guess this may be a steady success with Mr average as long as prices remain low. If its priced higher up the price band then I am not convinced it will rival the Mondeos etc.

No sporty model at all at the moment but I would guess a Diesel RS will follow, mainly due to the success of the Furbie. I had long discusions with Skoda when I wanted to buy a 1.8T L&K and do a gas conversion which incidentaly said would seriously jepadise my warranty. They did say that the whole of the VAG groups long term research was into Diesel powered cars as they were convinced that cars that run on oil are the future as fossil fuels run out, these can be run on oils derived from crops & I guess gynetic engineering will yield crops with higher yields.

BIGGEST LOSS is the 1.8T & the 4x4 from the range but a plus is that it will keep the residual value of our cars high.

Octy Turbo RIP & let your reputation live on :D:D

Does not look to bad to me either, What we need to see is pics from other angles to get the whole picture.

As with most things it will proberbly look a lot better in the flesh so to speak.

First impressions:

* Somewhat Volvo-like in appearance.

* No rear head restraints?

* Will probably get a good NCAP pedestrian impact rating, but I don't like that rounded nose.

* Plastic front lower lip? What's that all about then?

* Front foglights look rubbish.

* No 2.0 FSI Turbo in the engine lineup? No mention of 4WD models.

* I'm not holding my breath for a vRS

I think it looks excellent! I'd like to see the rear though (fnarr!)' date=' will they have ironed out the Octavia lard **** look?

I wonder what Jabba can do with a 150bhp FSI?[/quote']

Not a lot with an FSI engine because its a n/a engine (has no turbo) for chipability it has to be the 2.0 TDI at 140BHP.

Not a lot with an FSI engine because its a n/a engine (has no turbo) for chipability it has to be the 2.0 TDI at 140BHP.

So it will be a Viking burial afterall.

A thousand years from now a team of silver suited archeologists will dig me up and wonder 'Why was this silly sod buried in his car?'

It's quite nice, i think it's a case of evolution rather than revolution, but that is the away cars are looking after the current crop of renaults and bemmers with their sharp edged looks.

First impressions:

* No 2.0 FSI Turbo in the engine lineup? No mention of 4WD models.

* I'm not holding my breath for a vRS

If and when - it will be 2005 at the earliest, more probably 2006.

The Estate is announced for the autumn, so they are keeping that under wraps.

More build-up, more press moments...