Creaking suspension on Octy II

Well tried do it this morning, had the car on the axel stands etc, then realised I hadn't a torx big enough :o, so gave it a spray.

Not a totally wasted job thought, managed to swap my rear sensors back to they way they should be ( L& R got mixed up before ), without removing the bumper :)

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well tried do it this morning, had the car on the axel stands etc, then realised I hadn't a torx big enough :o, so gave it a spray.

Not a totally wasted job thought, managed to swap my rear sensors back to they way they should be ( L& R got mixed up before ), without removing the bumper :)

Easy as eh ........ :rolleyes:

Easy as eh ........ :rolleyes:

It would have been with the right tools :P;):thumbup:

The bolts holding the rear ARB bush clamp can be undone with an 8mm Hex key.

Now he tells me :rofl: Btw is that the size that DOESN'T come with the standard Allenkey sets? Someone mentioned to me before that theres one size that the motor industry use that normally ain't on the standard set.

Now he tells me :rofl: Btw is that the size that DOESN'T come with the standard Allen key sets? Someone mentioned to me before that there's one size that the motor industry use that normally ain't on the standard set.

Not sure about that, but I guess that most Allen/Hex key sets go up to 6mm. I have a couple of 8mm Hex keys in my toolbox from spanner work in the past (common size used on Karts).

Not sure about that, but I guess that most Allen/Hex key sets go up to 6mm. I have a couple of 8mm Hex keys in my toolbox from spanner work in the past (common size used on Karts).

Just looked at one of my sets there, it has a 10, 8 & 6 mm, so must remember that tip for next time :rolleyes::thumbup:

Perhaps someone could enlighten me about ourA5 55 plate Elegance .when we towed our caravan we were aware of this problem, the weight towing was 1350 klg, i thought something had broke as it was so loud , anyway solo it disappers. our mileage is 25000 miles now.

Could someboby please confirm what has actually stopped the creaks is it the arms or the roll bar bushes or both?

What ever is done seams only to rectify it for a short time.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine too.

Just reached 20,000 and it is more like a CRACK at slow speed more when cold over speed bumps and occasionally pulling out of junctions. from what feels like the front o/side. Going in on Monday 02/06/08 to SKODA.

• 5 months later...

My Octavia had this creaking noise as well. It could be solved simply and cheaply by greasing the rubber bearings on the front wishbones with a special water-resistant grease. Simple enough and nearly completely free.

The creaking is gone completely.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I join the club. Fault is known, going slowly over speed bumps, on "landing" from the speed bump I can hear "krshhhh". It was only on nearside now it's from both sides (front). Car has been for three times at dealer. It has 24.000 km and 25 months. Thank God I've paid extended warranty.

- First time at dealer: "Everything is fine, we'll mark with cheef engineer to have a ride with you and listen to the noise".

- Second time at dealer: cheef engineer has a ride with me and hears the noise on the first bump. Car booked for the week ahead.

- Third time at dealer: car was there for two days: "We have found the problem and car is now silent. It was lower plastic engine cover. It's been tight better now and everything seems fine". (Excuse me???!!) Took the car out and after only 50 meters of driving noise was the same.

So, I've agreed with them to book again after hollydays and we'll see. In the meantime, I've copied all I could find on this site and studied other threads.

Saga goes on.

Thanks to Dr.Z's posts I will be insisting on lower arms. We'll see.

Well, I join the club. Fault is known, going slowly over speed bumps, on "landing" from the speed bump I can hear "krshhhh". It was only on nearside now it's from both sides (front). Car has been for three times at dealer. It has 24.000 km and 25 months. Thank God I've paid extended warranty.

- First time at dealer: "Everything is fine, we'll mark with cheef engineer to have a ride with you and listen to the noise".

- Second time at dealer: cheef engineer has a ride with me and hears the noise on the first bump. Car booked for the week ahead.

- Third time at dealer: car was there for two days: "We have found the problem and car is now silent. It was lower plastic engine cover. It's been tight better now and everything seems fine". (Excuse me???!!) Took the car out and after only 50 meters of driving noise was the same.

So, I've agreed with them to book again after hollydays and we'll see. In the meantime, I've copied all I could find on this site and studied other threads.

Saga goes on.

Thanks to Dr.Z's posts I will be insisting on lower arms. We'll see.

No probs , and good luck with them.

Mine has done it from day one, its now 20 months old and done 40K. Got the dealer to look at it at the last service but he found noothing wrong with despite me telling him it only does it over speed bumps, which they didnt take it over. Will get him to look at it again at its next service, along with the creaky door seals.

Since about 9000 miles my Octavia II has suffered rather badly from noisy creaking suspension when going over speed humps or other uneven road surfaces.

It's noticably worse when the car is first driven on a cold day but is there even when it's warm.

The dealer has agreed that this is a fault after a few visits and it should be getting sorted in a few weeks when whatever parts it needs arrive.

I've seen a few other people mention this , so does your Octy II suffer from this creaking?

When did it start , and has it been to a dealer about this?

If so , what did they do?

creaking suspension in front is common fault on most VAG cars. My passat 2007 suffered from it after 6000 km . Dealer replaced antiroll bar bushes with new improved bushes. This was done in february 2007 and now after more than one year since replacement and 30000km on the clock, still free of any noise from suspension...

...along with the creaky door seals.

I've solved my creaking door seals by using parafine lube. Search for it on other thread. There, you'll find explanation how to aply it and where. There were lot of tries with silicon lube that lasts only for a week or two. Parafine lube now lasts for 4 months on mine. Completely free of seals noise. Dealer didn't help.

I've found some very interesting details surfing the internet:

Basicaly, to track down where the creaking is comming from, we should disconnect the ANTI-ROLL BAR. It can be done by taking off drop links on both sides of the ARB. Then drive the car to known location where creaking can be reproduced. If there was no creaking then problem is with ARB - either bushes or drop links. If creaking was there then problem is like 90% with lower arms (lower arms bushes).

People say that it's safe to test the car without ARB connected, as long as you drive carefuly, as handling will not be that safe.

So, it's good point to start with. If my dealer doesn't want to go that way, I'll go to independent garage to disconnect ARB and then I have 5km to drive to the airport that has "excellent" speed humps. That's the place where I've discovered the creaking for the first time.

• 2 weeks later...
I've found some very interesting details surfing the internet:

Basicaly, to track down where the creaking is comming from, we should disconnect the ANTI-ROLL BAR. It can be done by taking off drop links on both sides of the ARB. Then drive the car to known location where creaking can be reproduced. If there was no creaking then problem is with ARB - either bushes or drop links. If creaking was there then problem is like 90% with lower arms (lower arms bushes).

People say that it's safe to test the car without ARB connected, as long as you drive carefuly, as handling will not be that safe.

So, it's good point to start with. If my dealer doesn't want to go that way, I'll go to independent garage to disconnect ARB and then I have 5km to drive to the airport that has "excellent" speed humps. That's the place where I've discovered the creaking for the first time.

Anti roll bar bushes are a very likely culprit for suspension creaks and probably the easiest to fix.

What most manufacturers seem to have forgotten, or perhaps they have tried to engineer out the requirement for, is the beneficial effect of an application of grease to the suspension bushes. ;)

My saga goes on. Went to dealer today and had to take a ride with cheef engineer. He was easily able to hear the creaking and said: "Yes it's the rubber sound, not metal. Must be bushes." So, marked the car for next week. They'll disconnect the ARB and test it then, to meake sure if creaking was comming from ARB bushings or lower arms bushings. So, I'm now one step forward, I guess.

This morning I've left the car at the dealer. In the end of the day I've called and they said that ARB is damaged and needs replacing (What?:eek:). I've been insisting on lower arms bushes but they kept saying it's ARB.

So, as my car is on extended waranty they are expecting the OK tomorrow from the company that I've payed the extended waranty. That company needs to make sure that car hasn't been involved in any kind of accident. Well, my car hasn't even hit any pothole ever. So, if they get OK tomorrow, new ARB will arrive on Friday. With bit of luck it will be done the same day.

It means 3 days asking for the lift from my friends.

Ah, and that company doesn't allow the car to get out of the dealer as "...it can not be driven with ARB damaged". How come was my car on the road all this time while I was trying to explain them the noise?. I don't know, when they change (and if they change) the ARB are they going to put new bushes on ARB? What about drop links?

I'll see if I can get out from my office tomorrow and talk with chief engineer in person.

Saga goes on.