So what do you guys do for exercise?

Lady Elanore

... I was cycling 20-30 miles on 5 nights a week and a longer ride at the weekends. I also mixed intervals in on my runs and trained with a very strong guy I used to work with. I could easily drop him on long inclines like Holme Moss and eventually could drop him on the flat, but he always killed me in sprints, even when I got a run on him.

With that amount of aerobic work you probably did have that high a level of fitness

Long climbs on a bike completely kill me. I did a Bristol to London charity bike ride over the summer and there is one very long drawn out hill on the A4 near Avebury (it felt like it kept on going on and on for ever) that was a total killer - that hill probably contributed to my downfall at about the 80 mile point - I really struggled for the last 32 miles to the finish :o However, I did manage to drop countless other cyclists on the hills (I found that was a good way to keep motivated - chase them down and overtake as many as possible before the top) though they would often fly past me on the flat

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heavy weight training 3 times a week

Cardio 2 times a week

Thai boxing 3 times a week

Tailored diet for my training stuck to 100%

Basically my life revolves around training...

...AND I still have a life :D

I could go into a lot more detail if you want but its boring tbh.

Cardio 2 times a week

But how many times do you go out and get lashed at weekends?? - that cant be very good for ya... (or do you spend most your weekends commuting now) :rofl:

My "new" thing is to limit drinking to friday and saturdays only..

With that amount of aerobic work you probably did have that high a level of fitness

Long climbs on a bike completely kill me. I did a Bristol to London charity bike ride over the summer and there is one very long drawn out hill on the A4 near Avebury (it felt like it kept on going on and on for ever) that was a total killer - that hill probably contributed to my downfall at about the 80 mile point - I really struggled for the last 32 miles to the finish :o However, I did manage to drop countless other cyclists on the hills (I found that was a good way to keep motivated - chase them down and overtake as many as possible before the top) though they would often fly past me on the flat

I think I once read that the key to climbing on a bike was, (apart from a high cadence) a high aerobic power to weight ratio. I weighed about 10 stone at the time so had very low body fat for a female, so that probably helped.

Interestingly I noted at my peak of fitness, I could hold my breath for about 2 and a half minutes when I was at my fittest (I think Tanya Streeter can hold hers for about 6 mins and there is a bloke somewhere-another freediver- that has managed about 9!!!) and I probably could have done more with some training. Whereas now I struggle to hold my breath for 2 minutes. Oh how I hate getting older sometimes.

Cardio 2 times a week

Surely your life revolves around Tinkerbell? :D Although you do seem to do a lot of training:eek:

Interestingly I noted at my peak of fitness, I could hold my breath for about 2 and a half minutes when I was at my fittest ...

Similar to you I can hold my breath for around 2:15 - 2:30 on a good day.

I just use cycling as a means to an end (it gets me places, often much quicker than a car in Bristol due to the volume of traffic) and for a 'bit' of aerobic training - (about 4-5 hours a week at the moment) to supplement the rowing training :cool:

Has anyone done one of those bleep tests where you run between two markers and have to get there before the bleep. Mr P had to do another one yesterday and had to get to level four I think. He did up to six and then stopped because he didn't need to go on. I don't think I would even reach level three :o

We do this a lot. My PB is level 11. I did a few more than I thought I could.!!;)

I find those bleep tests...really tough as the accelerate, slow down, turn, accelerate ... totally destroys me towards the end

I did them way way back, and it was exactly that that killed me too. I never got above a level 9, because even at my fittest I weighted 15 1/2 stone (a throw-back to my rugby league days) and so it was the slowing down and turning that took all the effort. I had (and still have) very strong legs, which I think helped my cycling, and went a fair way towards my erstwhile running ability, but was absolutely no help whatsoever when dashing back and forth between two lines 10 metres (? - it was a while ago...) apart.

All is not lost in the fitness stakes though, I suppose - I may be carrying a few extra pounds (or 50), but I had a works medical recently where my resting heart rate was 57 bpm, and my lung capacity was that of someone 6 years younger than me so all is not yet lost... :thumbup:

To be honest l train that much plus a bit more cause l race time trials and commute to work and it is still possible to have a life and train hard. Ok l admit l don't drink apart from special events and l don't get lashed weekly like some but l still have at least one day a week off from training and a reduced training week every 6 weeks. Diet is important in terms of protein/carb balance and levels but you can't get too obsessive about it, you've gotta get your energy from somewhere, it aint gonna come from eating salad now is it!

I enjoy training so its easy to do double sessions in a day and stuff but l couldn't imagine how hard it must be to train even three times a week if you actually hate it! Don't think l could be arsed if i hated going.

Similar to you I can hold my breath for around 2:15 - 2:30 on a good day.

I just use cycling as a means to an end (it gets me places, often much quicker than a car in Bristol due to the volume of traffic) and for a 'bit' of aerobic training - (about 4-5 hours a week at the moment) to supplement the rowing training :cool:

:eek::eek::eek:

I used to guage myself on my fitness by seeing if i could swim from one end of the swimming pool to the other underwater... never managed it lol, and its only a 20m pool :rofl:

Training??

What are you lot training for?

This life isn't a rehearsal you know.

Just do it. ( life that is)

You might die tomorrow, or you might be the fittest octagenarian in the nursing home.

good grief.

Life is for living, not practising for the next one.

(I know, I am a reincarnation of a very wealthy good looking, intelligent Egyptian Pharoah:D )

Mummification takes its toll though:(

I play league hockey and do a bit of running during the week. Now too old for the top level of hockey so don't train like I used to - more just play for fun / social and to keep reasonable fitness.

Re: bleep test - its one of the things we always did as part for our pre-season fitness tests when I played National League Prem hockey and it is a good test for hockey players as it involves constant turning and acceleration much like in games. I was always around the 12 mark - being light and naturally quick always helped although being tall didn't - but the top guys were 13 and slightly above. To be honest there is a lot of technique involved in it ( as I realised too late :rolleyes: ) - you can save a huge amount of energy and time if you start turning before you reach the line rather than doing what I did which was get to line-turn-then push off again. Not the most enjoyable of things though with lots of very ill people at the end of it all :D

Aren’t those the things that Darth Vader has to give him special powers?

15_3_38.gif

I know I'm a bit strange but surely not that bad ... actually, on second thoughts :rofl:

I'm also thinking about running a half marathon in the near future (well in 6 months time or so) :eek:

Anyone else round here do silly amounts of training or are you all a bunch of lazy barstewards ;) :P :D