QG1 Service Interval - Mk2 Octy VRS

• 1 month later...

Rang garage. No idea whether my car is set for fixed or variable. Did not even know.

All they said was they recommend every 15k and use semi-synthetic on the vRS - 10W40 oil works best. And they said I should use this to top up.

The problem is the manual says not to mix long life (assume fully synth) and the other oil. And it looks like the long life oil is in it from day 1. So I assume I need something other then 10W40 to top up with ?

As you have correctly said QG1 means variable service interval, the oil needs to be to standard VW 503 00 or VW 504 00, the last bottle I bought is Shell Helix Ultra VX, fully synthetic 5W-30, I'm not 100% sure but i dont think the 10W-40 you mention is up to the standard. Most brands now list the VW codes on the back, in fact this bottle states "specially formulated for VW, Audi, Skoda and SEAT vehicles" and "designed for extended service intervals" on the front packaging.

My understanding is that if you use lower grade oil the service will become due quicker, I'm currently on 13000 miles and the service isnt due for about another 4000 miles. You can check when yours is due by switching on the ignition and then holding in the trip reset...a spanner and number of miles (I presume km in your case) appears.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Thanks. It does. Garage are now ringing skoda to find out.

I want to use fixed intervals as I only do 15k km year and mostly city driving so wear is higher (I think). So when I bring it in at 15k km (Jan 08) assuming the service warning does not come on before then, I will get them to reset it back to fixed and use the appropriate oil. I may even provide the oil myself.

As I will need to top up during the year with long life oil (since that is what is in it from day1), can I use any long life oil - 503 or 504 or do I need to find out what specifically is in the car right now. And even after car is set to fixed service intervals can I continue to use the long life stuff. Do Halfords sell a brand that meets the long life oil spec (503 or 504).

thanks

Having just checked my own I'm actually on 14600 miles, 1st service currently due at 16800miles, I don't think that's too bad for my driving style ie I like a good blast but usually ending up in 6th at an indicated 80 on the M1.

Halfords do sell 5W 30 oils.

AFAIK they all come in with QG1, then the dealer can change this. Never mind what the engine says as to when it needs a service, bring it in after 10k miles and they can change it then.

How do you check how far to the next service?

Turn on ignition (do not switch engine on), press and hold trip reset, a spanner symbol appears and number of miles to next service.

Dan

Yes Gaff,

I plan to go back after 15k km, which is one years driving and get the service done then, and get it changed to fixed intervals. I prefer a yearly service.

To confuse matters further though the sales guy told me they only use semi-synthetic and to top up with this. This makes no sense to me as the car comes with fully synth as it's setup for var. servicing and you can't mix oils. Service manager was supposed to ring me back and let me know what the story is, but no call back. Going out there tommorrow anyway to get touch up stick.