1. 1. Do you regret buying a Skoda?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell NO!!

Of all the cars I have owned my vRS OCtavia (mk.1) still gives me a :D when I look at it or drive it own a good B-road! I've had it for 4 years now and its never once skipped a beat......to the extreme annoyance of my mates who all drive bmw's or subaru's.......still, no accounting for taste!!

Long live reverse snobery!!:D :D :D

Lets face it, if you took off the Skoda badges, and stuck the well-known five rings on the front, you'd get away with it woth a lot of people.

There's only four rings in the Audi badge....five rings is the olympic symbol! :rofl:

I don't regret buying one, no. I mean, what were the other options? Second hand Astra's etc. mmm yeah just what everyone wants :rolleyes: lol

There's only four rings in the Audi badge....five rings is the olympic symbol! :rofl:

Yeah I spotted that too! 4 Rings that represent Horsch ,DKW , Wanderer and Audi , making up the 'Auto Union' brand. I'm not sure that 21st century Audi owners know what that badge means , just that their car looks awfully smart outside the wine bar.....

Ps I voted No , even though my Fabia was a 'distress purchase' (needed to get out of my Lancer Evo ASAP as it was bleeding my wallet dry with its thirst and unreliability) and the only 2 cars that the Mitsi garage had in that I could afford were the Fabia and a minging Proton Satria sport.....:eek:

No, definitely not!

I'm on my 3rd Fabia and worked my way up the range (Comfort - Elegance - vRS).

Absolutely nothing wrong with any of them, no jokes or snide comments either.

If it wasn't for Skoda, I probably would never have even considered driving a diesel, but now I would never go back to petrol.

Why would you want to pretend that your Skoda is an over-priced and uncomfortable Auto-Union? ;)

I wouldn't :-). I like the reverse snobbery- being able to giggle at the people that thought I was odd for trading my A3 for the fabia.

The A3 was a great car, but the Fabia is such a steal.

If you asked me three weeks ago, I would have said no.

This week, I'm not so sure. We only get a two year warranty in Ireland, so that expired at the end of August. Two weeks ago I had to replace the passenger side window regulator assembly (approx. cost

Lets face it, if you took off the Skoda badges, and stuck the well-known five rings on the front, you'd get away with it woth a lot of people.

No chance, Skoda quality is simply not up to the standard of any of the other VAG marques, sure, they might stick the VW/Audi logo on most of the parts but dont be fooled, they are built to a much lower price and it shows, they have to save the money somewhere (although having said that, Skodas are no longer bargains, they have got to big for their boots and are now overpricing a 'budget' brand).

Just sit in a new Audi A4/A6 then sit in either a Skoda Octavia or Superb, If you cant tell the difference in quality then you must be blind, in which case you'd still be able to feel the difference in quality!

Anyway, I voted 'yes' I do regret buying the top of the range Skoda simply as it was the most un-reliable piece of rubbish I ever had the misfortune to drive, as some of you may know already, I've bought the top of the range Mondeo and its leaps and bounds ahead of the skoda in every department except a couple of inches leg room in the back.

Anyway, I voted 'yes' I do regret buying the top of the range Skoda simply as it was the most un-reliable piece of rubbish I ever had the misfortune to drive, as some of you may know already, I've bought the top of the range Mondeo and its leaps and bounds ahead of the skoda in every department except a couple of inches leg room in the back.

So were you blind when you bought the car?

Why the hell did you buy it if you thought it was so cheep and nasty in comparrison to an Audi?

What is exactly the point in buying a 'top of the range' budget car that you say isn't budget enough, why not settle with a middle of the range audi/VW

A friend of my mum's has an Audi A4, and it has had nothing but problems. I gave her a lift in my Fabia the other day and you could see she recognised most of the parts that made up her dash board, plus mine worked.

I am sorry if you bought a lemon, but you will find that most of us are very happy with out choice of budget motoring knock off audis.

Take my Dad's lovely new Chevy Matiz - now there is pants build quality!! :eek:

So were you blind when you bought the car?

Why the hell did you buy it if you thought it was so cheep and nasty in comparrison to an Audi?

What is exactly the point in buying a 'top of the range' budget car that you say isn't budget enough, why not settle with a middle of the range audi/VW

A friend of my mum's has an Audi A4, and it has had nothing but problems. I gave her a lift in my Fabia the other day and you could see she recognised most of the parts that made up her dash board, plus mine worked.

I am sorry if you bought a lemon, but you will find that most of us are very happy with out choice of budget motoring knock off audis.

Take my Dad's lovely new Chevy Matiz - now there is pants build quality!! :eek:

Because I fell for the b*ll**** I'm afraid, all the cr*p about it being made from the same parts as VW/Audi, and the fact that it was a cheap car 3 years ago, the prices in those 3 years have gone up ridiculously, and apart from a couple of bits of chrome and some worse engines the Superb hasn't changed.

And yes I did notice the quality of fit and finish was worse than VW/Audi but having been told it was 'made from the same parts' (which is basically a lie) I thought it would at least be reliable, how wrong I was.

It's not just mine thats been like that, we have lots of Skodas on the fleet, the most reliable being the mk1 Octavia Turbo Diesels, although those aren't without there problems, the least reliable being the Superb and the mk2 Octy (all the MK2's have been returned to Skoda as unfit for purpose).

I do however realise that mine was a total lemon, and I could have forgiven Skoda for that had they sorted it out properly, but they dont give a t*ss about there customers once they leave the fourcourt, hence why I withdrew all my business from Saltdean garage, they have now closed (as have many other Skoda dealers) simply because of shocking customer service.

At least if you buy an Audi you are gauranteed certain levels of customer service, in fact Audi have very strict guidlines on how customers must be treated, and if I wasn't offered the Mondeo at such a good price I would have bought an A6.

:) I know I'm totally biased but I honestly don't regret buying any of my Skodas in the past 16 years I've been a Skoda owner, although none of mine have cost anywhere near the amount of some of yours.

The most I've spent on one is

it was 'made from the same parts' (which is basically a lie)

So Skodas aren't made from VAG bits? A5 Golf interior looks remarkably similar to me. It may have nicer "sheen" - dials, lighting, damped grab handles, etc, but fundamentally it's the same. Is my BWA 2.0TFSI motor *not* the same as a Golf BWA 2.0TFSI?

I've had 2 faults - one was a loose battery connection that should've been picked up PDI, the other was a fuel pump problem that caused my fuel gauge to read zero. One dealer issue, one component failure. No warranty headaches, sorted. Not had a car from new that didn't have something that had to be fixed under warranty and never had problems getting said issues fixed, whatever the make. Also never had anything serious, thankfully.

At least if you buy an Audi you are gauranteed certain levels of customer service, in fact Audi have very strict guidlines on how customers must be treated

To what level is customer service guaranteed? And what constitutes better service? Friendlier staff? No visible oily surfaces? Slick telephony system?

Will you get better service if you buy a Porsche given the greater hourly rate? Or will it be the same as anywhere else behind the scenes for the people doing the actual work on your car? Pressure on to short-cut the job the same as any other main dealer on menu pricing? I've heard Porsche horror stories just like I've heard Skoda horror stories. But those Porsche dealers are much more impressive places to be, and those hardback "brochures". Wow...

So Skodas aren't made from VAG bits? A5 Golf interior looks remarkably similar to me. It may have nicer "sheen" - dials, lighting, damped grab handles, etc, but fundamentally it's the same. Is my BWA 2.0TFSI motor *not* the same as a Golf BWA 2.0TFSI?

Well clearly not, as you say yourself, all the bits are different, it just 'looks' the same. just because a part has VAG stamped on it, does not mean it would be fitted to a VW or Audi, think about it very carefully, they are saving money somewhere in order that they (used) to sell the cars cheaper than the equivalent VW/Audi.

To what level is customer service guaranteed? And what constitutes better service? Friendlier staff? No visible oily surfaces? Slick telephony system?

Will you get better service if you buy a Porsche given the greater hourly rate? Or will it be the same as anywhere else behind the scenes for the people doing the actual work on your car?

There is a guy on here somewhere who works for Audi, he'll be able to tell you exactly what the Audi customer charter entails, but one of the things is that every customer gets a courtesy car free of charge, and where possible it should always be the model above what they own, Ok so it may be a marketing gimmick to get you to spend more next time you buy a car, but at least you get a nice courtesy car, when you take £25k worth of Skoda for a service and they make you pay for a 1.2 Fabia it kinda takes the p*ss, especially as the Audi service is no more expensive!