1.9 SDI tuning

KTea88

I would think the reason the SDI responds to a remap is because the factory map is designed to comply with noise and Emissions laws. As such there may be some "holes" in the fuelling when viewed as a 3D graph.

This has been the same for years and why EFI N/A cars have always responded to Chips and Re-Maps. Not that they all of a sudden become tyre burning nutter ******* but usually feel nicer and more driveable after.

I'm not surprised that the SDI responds to Re-Mapping especially with emissions regs so tight these days :(

TDI Chip Tuning Box for Skoda Octavia & Fabia TDI + SDI on eBay, also Chips, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 20-Jun-08 15:16:43 BST)

check out this chip, apparently increases power on the sdi by 9-10bhp. Realistic i think, and it supposedly spreads the power across the revs, as everyone has been saying a re-map would do. So

• 4 months later...
The SDI's an absolute dog. Avoid at all costs. Slower & not as economical as a 1.4tdi, noisier than Godzilla, less torque than most small petrols & utterly, utterly undriveable. :thumbdwn:

Get the 1.4tdi

JMTPW.

Hmm, after 83k in my SDI, i'd disagree that its utterly indriveable. Its a piece of cake to drive, in fact, i'd say its the easiest car i've ever had to drive, has lovely simple electronics, and gets really good mpg. It goes where its pointed, its not really got enough power to get itself out of shape.. Oh yeah, absolute doddle to drive! Mine has happily hauled me all the way to Berlin and back (where it maxxed out at a noisy 110mph and cruised at about 80 most of the time), and crossed the length and breadth of the UK more than i'd like to remember. Its in no way a sporty ride, in fact, its not even remotely entertaining, but its not wallowy either. But hey, thats why i have a 140mph 600cc motorbike... i used to drive coupes and generally fast cars, but for years i've been hapy with my octy sdi, paired with a reasonably quick bike. I do think i'll hanker after more power now, as i'm selling my bike on MCN though. The recent purchase of a new shape '55 plate Passat tdi105 SE should satisfy, though i'll consider a remap if it wont cost me mpg, as I'll miss the bike big time :(

• 1 month later...

Ive owned a Fabia SDI for 6 months, I bought it as I have nine points on my licence and needed to calm down for a year or so.

Personally i like it, takes a while to get going (Easily beats my flat mates 1.2petrol Ibiza off the mark and rides better) corners ok, a good ride, I use mine all the time on the motorway, just did 2000miles in Europe and made it to over 120mph on AutoBahns. Always provides great economy. Cheap insurance, solid engine. Its not gonna amaze you but its alright, more than i would expect from a 64bhp diesel.

Ive owned a Fabia SDI for 6 months, I bought it as I have nine points on my licence and needed to calm down for a year or so.

Personally i like it, takes a while to get going (Easily beats my flat mates 1.2petrol Ibiza off the mark and rides better) corners ok, a good ride, I use mine all the time on the motorway, just did 2000miles in Europe and made it to over 120mph on AutoBahns. Always provides great economy. Cheap insurance, solid engine. Its not gonna amaze you but its alright, more than i would expect from a 64bhp diesel.

this is the reason i went down to a fabia vrs,15 points on my licence,next april i'm in a skyline again:D

i was at crail last year

there was a young lad that had an sdi with vrs kit on it in grey

he had a striaght through exhaust that sounded mint

a huge induction kit abit chavvy

and wait for it drum roll a wizards of nos kit it was rapid ran a sub 16 1/4 :eek:lol!!!

awnser is for a quick sdi just get nos:)

this is the reason i went down to a fabia vrs,15 points on my licence,next april i'm in a skyline again:D

15 points? 12 and im banned, you got a UK licence?

And Lol at the SDI Nos, would love to see that on a dyno. 64Bhp i think not.

• 1 month later...

SDI's are great! i've got a superb tdi pd100 now as a taxi but i'd have my sdi back in an instant (my councils age limits lah blah) no turbo pipes to come off flaming vnt etc etc just 4 wheels and an engine! (and a meter if your a taxi driver! most important bit) most reliable diesel i ever owned if anyone wants to swap me a decent sdi around 04 i'm interested! (seriously!!)

• 5 months later...

I have also bought an sdi with 100,000 miles, its in new condition and is so light and smooth to drive shame it doesnt have any top end poke, I was toying with the idea of a tuning box but looking at other threads people say avoid them there cheap resistors in plastic casing. If anyone has bought a tuning chip of ebay for there SDi has it made any difference?

Mine's pretty quick, as an ex CID police car it has been threashed to within inches of it's life ... the engine is nicely loose :)

I cleaned out the dead birds and MaccyD wrappers from the air intake and it picks up nicely, anyone got a spare PD160 intake.

• 4 weeks later...

I have put a sharp knife to the intake where it meets the slam panel ... the rain deflector is no more.

I swear I get more mid range pull around 2k rpm, so perhaps there are gains to be had?

"Life in the slow laneeee! .. diddly diddly diddly" :blush:

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Amazing post, thanks

Wow that french guy did get 92BHP from an SDi, pretty awesome. I would love to try that in my fabia SDi. Its fast enoough really but it would be nice to try that extra power. Shame it all costs so much.